View Poll Results: What were your feelings on the issue?

Voters
177. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVED IT! Can't wait for more!

86 48.59%
  • Liked it quite a bit!

59 33.33%
  • It was an average read.

22 12.43%
  • I didn't really like it and I'm not sure I'm going to continue reading it.

7 3.95%
  • I hated it. I will never read another X-Factor issue unles Thumbelina appears.

3 1.69%
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-FACTOR #1 Spoilers & Review

Aurora's dead. Northstar can feel it. Too bad the Five don't go on "feelings." There's a sequence of recruits starting with Lorna, then Daken, then Rachel, then Prodigy, then Eyeboy (accidentally). They track down Aurora's last known whereabouts and find her body. They deduce that she was in a car with the brakes cut that drove off a bridge, leading to her drowning. An anti-mutant human murderer? Maybe. Anyway, the Quiet Council appoint the group as the new X-Factor, and although Mags thinks Lorna should lead, she suggests Northstar. They're then tasked with finding all the missing mutants of the world.

I have to say, as excited as I was for this... I didn't love it. It felt very coincidental, with the group constantly getting bigger for no real reason. I guess it was nice seeing how each one offered something different for investigation?

Northstar was great, as I assumed he would be. Leah Williams has a fun time with the character and his quick-to-anger/snark personality, especially after the loss of his sister. I can see that being explored throughout the series, and I especially look forward to his interactions with Daken, who he immediately wrote off. (NO sexual chemistry, though, please. I will be so irritated if Northstar and Kyle don't stay in their healthy, monogamous relationship.) I also really, really dug JP's reationship with Lorna. I think they make for a good pair bouncing off each other.

The other characters? Meh. The team doesn't have the flair that, say, Hellions or Marauders has. But we'll see.

I'm in the book for the long haul, at least until Northstar isn't in it anymore, but I do hope we get more than just chit-chat between the characters (seriously, there was a LOT of dialogue in this issue, and a good portion of it felt like fluff that could've been cut for anything else).

What'd y'all think?

I liked it. Good use of characters, interesting premise ...

But Leah needs the characters to talk less. It is strenuous. It is like reading something written by someone who has just taken amphetamines. If she relaxes a bit here there may be a spectacular comic.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I liked it. I'll be honest, about halfway through I wasn't sure about it, but the Lorna bits sold me. LOVED that moment when Polaris asks Krakoa if it remembered how they met. Her exchange with Magneto was pretty on point as well. Lorna is an ill defined character and that was a very meta moment from Leah. All the other characters shined, but it's clear Leah does the best with JP.

Yes, the Lorna bits were the best.

I thought the writer gave an interview months ago that Prodigy didn't regain his powers through the resurrection process?

Rachel was very oddly written. Her dialogue, the skimming thing, that dog. Didn't enjoy her at all.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I liked Leah's stuff in Age of X-man, but I'm not always a fan of a lot of humor and snark in the x-books. I thoroughly enjoyed this issue and felt her humor and writing style worked well with the characters in the book. I didn't mind all the dialogue. I was happy to see Rachel written well and the use of her original powers was great. I also loved how Polaris was used. The characters did seem to have distinct personalities. There was a lot packed into this issue with the large team, the Five, Sage and Forge, and the Quiet Council. A lot going on but it held my interest and at the end I wanted to continue the adventure.

I like Northstar as the leader. This book as the potential to be a lot of fun. We also have a lot of lgbt representation with Northstar, Kyle, Prodigy, and Daken (and not to mention the sometimes ambiguous Rachel Grey).

Prefacing this that I don't really *get* half the cast (Daken and Prodigy are the two I was looking forward to coming in), but I really really liked this issue.

I don't mind that the team formation was coincidental (better than not explaining it at all or making it convoluted). It allowed the story to move quite swiftly and only really felt bogged down with narration when Rachel explained her powers. We got a lot of heart, snark, and humor while we got to see a team formed that had an immediate, practical purpose.

This first issue combats a lot of X-Series problems right off the bat by knowing its identity, finding a space where it is needed in the larger narrative, and gives us ample reason to either care about or be intrigued by the characters involved.

I don't really care about the Amazing Baby gags tbh. I feel like I should've thought it was adorable, but I found it tedious.

Best issue of the week imo. I liked everyone and she got the voices right for most of the cast (I don't love good Daken). I liked how they all used their powers in a smart way.

To be fair, Rachel's powers are quite complicated in and of themselves. That explanation is necessary.

I know it is not in the comic but the idea of Apocalypse having to endure the explanation of the car accident is very funny to me. I imagine him looking at the phone thinking "Why the hell do I have to listen to this?".

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Yep - I've been up-and-down on a lot of Dawn of X stuff, but this one really worked for me.

It was a fairly dialogue and exposition-heavy issue (at 30 pages no less) but it did manage to set-up the cast, the dynamics, the reason the book exists and it's relationship to the X-Line as well as telling a "one and done" assembling of the team and solving the first case story. That's a lot to get through but it managed it. I've never been a Daken fan but enjoyed him here, and it's always good to see Northstar and Lorna.

I'm not quite sure where this book will go but I am at least confident that the creators *are* so it's a good addition to a line that's very hit and miss at the moment.

BANNED

leah brought her A game into this, very very happy with lorna's moments especially aknowledging that she has a conection with krakoa

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I know it is not in the comic but the idea of Apocalypse having to endure the explanation of the car accident is very funny to me. I imagine him looking at the phone thinking "Why the hell do I have to listen to this?".
    I wonder what he thinks looking at Lorna, his ex-horseman.

Astonishing Member

So Aurora really died via something as mundane as a car accident by manipulated breaks?

As with X-force, it feels like everyone among the X-men has turned into Kenny McCormick from South Park now.
    Things they would have previously survived by luck or skill with a few scratches are now deadly. Because death itself is now officialy an inconvinience for them.

While death in super hero comic books have long become a rather impactless narrative tool in the eyes of longterm readers, it was usualy written with a "willing suspension of disbelief" in mind, the idea that the actual characters still took it serious.
    But with the X-men now having a "people printer" set up, it is now also meant to be meaningless in story too, one has to wonder how long this can last until any death of life endangering situation loses it's impact on the reader too.

So in turn i wonder how long this book can draw out the many meaningless deaths of characters who don't stay dead anyway. Especialy once readers are so desensitized that it might become unintentionaly comic.
    North Stars somewhat silly face when he noticed Aurora died and his demand for her to come back, which looks more like someone demanding a replacement car than reacting to death of his beloved sister, doesn't help.

Next story Angel dies slipping on a piece of toast, Nightcrawler accidently teleports himself into an active volcano and Dazzler dies (epic) getting hit by a lightning bolt during a concert.

Yet another new X-book with a bunch of characters I’m not particularly interested in, yet completely wins me over regardless. This was a hoot. The team rapport, the premise, ya I’m sold.

Does anyone know what the Krakoan said in the advertisement?

Incredible was much better than I expected.

For an improvised team they have good chemistry and each has their own role in the team according to their powers. Not to mention that the writer seems to have studied the characters and their powers even the least known.

I liked the interaction between Magneto and Lorna and how he has expectations for her daughter.

Can someone explain to me the little interaction between Rachel and Hope?

Rachel seems to be a little different from how she is portrayed with a more aggressive attitude but nothing really serious.

Rank 8 of 10.
    Last edited by Knives; 07-29-2020 at 11:48 AM.