Super Moderator

Default Pak Explores the Humanity of Clark Kent in "Superman: Doomed"

Greg Pak explains how stripping away Clark Kent's humanity in "Superman: Doomed" allows the writers to explore the 'man' in the Man of Steel.

Full article here.

BANNED

One, Superman would beat the green off the Hulk.

Two, this crossover tells me nothing I didn't already know about Superman's "humanity".

What is it with this whole humanity BS? Why do I keep seeing things like this? Superman is more human than half the people on the planet.

Wonder Woman X Superman Diana X Kal's Avatar

Superman is an ALIEN, and he knows about and is attached to humanity as much as he will ever need to be. Goodness.
    Wonder Woman <3

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    What is it with this whole humanity BS? Why do I keep seeing things like this? Superman is more human than half the people on the planet.
    Isn't that pretty much what Pak's saying though?
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Amazing Member

Doomed has given us what Greg Pak has talked about, but this theme is basically explored in most issues of Superman and Action. Did we need this theme covered again?

My issue with Doomed is that it has taken far too long with too many character and issues that have been filler, existing only to sell books. Doomed could have wrapped up in 4 or 5 issues.

The initial issues were great but subsequent ones have not delivered for me, I can't wait for the conclusion if it's as good as the first Doomed book.

Quote Originally Posted by nathdog View Post
    Doomed has given us what Greg Pak has talked about, but this theme is basically explored in most issues of Superman and Action. Did we need this theme covered again?

My issue with Doomed is that it has taken far too long with too many character and issues that have been filler, existing only to sell books. Doomed could have wrapped up in 4 or 5 issues.

The initial issues were great but subsequent ones have not delivered for me, I can't wait for the conclusion if it's as good as the first Doomed book.
    I've enjoyed it so far, but I agree somewhat. It really should of just been a 4-6 issue miniseries or something. The fact it is taking up nearly every Superman book for 3-4 months is getting quite annoying.

The only two DC books I have are wonder woman and ww/superman on my pull list. Because of that I have like two issues of this story. I hate being forced to buy a bunch of extra comics to get a story. It feels like the company is telling me I don't buy enough of their comics. It this thing worth getting or should I just put up with the pieces that I have for a month and assume it will pass?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by senwolf View Post
    The only two DC books I have are wonder woman and ww/superman on my pull list. Because of that I have like two issues of this story. I hate being forced to buy a bunch of extra comics to get a story. It feels like the company is telling me I don't buy enough of their comics. It this thing worth getting or should I just put up with the pieces that I have for a month and assume it will pass?
    Yeah, I get the crossover problem. DC tends to assume that if you buy Superman book A, you buy all of them. I do, so enjoy a good crossover, but totally get where you're coming from. It's over soon (two months?), so you'll be back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I've really enjoyed it, but the question is did you enjoy the two issues you have? There's quite a lot to it, so you'll be buying another 10 or so comics which is quite an ask if you didn't like those you have.

I've been enjoying Superman: Doomed, but I feel as though it has started to drag with recent issues. I think it has been a bit too drawn out at times, but it has had some great moments. The fist bump with Wonder Woman and Lana Lang ranks as my favorite. I also appreciate the bigger picture that Superman is dealing with here. He's an alien who has always had to find a way to stay connected with humanity. Doomsday, rather than just threatening humanity, is threatening his very grip on his sanity. It has made for an interesting test of character and I think the circumstances make it all the more meaningful. This is happening at the same time the world is still recovering from Forever Evil and Trinity War. Lex Luthor is now seen as a hero and this can't help Superman's image. It's basically a convergence of complications, but that has helped keep the narrative strong in all the right ways. I think it'll read much smoother once it comes out in TPB.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by nathdog View Post

Just re-read the storyline so far yesterday and am so impressed with the progression to date. Picked up on a lot of plot points that I missed during the monthly transitions. Most enjoyable parts are the Superman/Krypto bonding and kick-ass moments; the Superman Brakka team-ups; Wonder Woman's interaction with Cat, Lois and Lana when searching for Clark (very on-point character interactions); the Superdoom/Clark relationship; Steel and Lana's friendship; and everywhere the art. This is really a widescreen epic Superman story and Pak and Soule are nailing the character interactions with so much real life feeling. Loved the Mongul and Non cop-out! IMHO no one can nail Superman's compassion and strength and heart better than Pak. His Action run has been absolutely stellar!