Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amazing-Man appreciation thread!

Amazing-Man I:

Will Everett was a promising young African-American Olympian who had competed in the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, but his post-Olympic career devolved into a janitorial profession at a laboratory owned by Dr. Terry Curtis. During an accident involving the explosion of some equipment to which he was exposed (developed by the criminal mastermind the Ultra-Humanite), Everett quickly developed the ability to mimic whatever properties he touched.

As Amazing-Man, he fought super criminals and Nazis along side the All Star Squadron. In 1942, the Squadron helped Everett defeat the bigoted villain in his home town of Detroit, the Real American. In the 1960s, he marched alongside MLK and became a leader in the Civil Rights Movement.

His grandson, Will Everett III (a.k.a. "Junior") also developed mimicry abilities. Will Everett Senior was last seen in the hospital, visited by his grandson Will Everett III. The senior Everett was dying of cancer. For a brief time, his grandson carried on the legacy of Amazing-Man before dying tragically. Later, another grandson named Markus Clay would take up the mantle of Amazing-Man.

Tom Taylor posted this image teasing his next project:

Hopefully there is something big in store for Will Everett aka Amazing-Man!

I was gonna yell at you if you posted this thread today without sharing that image from Taylor. Heroes punching nazis, especially hitler, brings me *so much* joy! Like, y'all should be concerned about how happy it makes me.

I've always like Will, or maybe I should say the Everett family, even though I often forget Amazing Man was even a thing (when was the last time we had an Amazing Man? Johns' JSA?). But I think he's a great creation with tons and tons of untapped potential. I think it's that potential that I like more than what's on the actual page, but even the stuff on the page is damn fun.

Good, timeless costume with a unusual color scheme. Fun power set with tons of applications. Excellent, timeless name. I've never been sure why DC didn't try to use this character more, he seems like a slam dunk waiting for the right creator.

So, what do we think this teaser from Taylor means? All-Stars? A flashback mini set in the world of Injustice? An Amazing Man mini?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I was gonna yell at you if you posted this thread today without sharing that image from Taylor. Heroes punching nazis, especially hitler, brings me *so much* joy! Like, y'all should be concerned about how happy it makes me.

I've always like Will, or maybe I should say the Everett family, even though I often forget Amazing Man was even a thing (when was the last time we had an Amazing Man? Johns' JSA?). But I think he's a great creation with tons and tons of untapped potential. I think it's that potential that I like more than what's on the actual page, but even the stuff on the page is damn fun.

Good, timeless costume with a unusual color scheme. Fun power set with tons of applications. Excellent, timeless name. I've never been sure why DC didn't try to use this character more, he seems like a slam dunk waiting for the right creator.

So, what do we think this teaser from Taylor means? All-Stars? A flashback mini set in the world of Injustice? An Amazing Man mini?
    Totally agreed! All the pieces are there. Hopefully Taylor is the guy to put them together and bring the character to prominence.

I'm hoping that it's an Amazing-Man mini series. With the character's history I think he could be very socially relevant considering current events.

I wonder if Taylor will tweak his powers. He originally could absorb and mimic matter (stone, steel, etc.) but later he also had some magnetism abilities. Amazing-Man III could absorb and duplicate energy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Totally agreed! All the pieces are there. Hopefully Taylor is the guy to put them together and bring the character to prominence.

I'm hoping that it's an Amazing-Man mini series. With the character's history I think he could be very socially relevant considering current events.

I wonder if Taylor will tweak his powers. He originally could absorb and mimic matter (stone, steel, etc.) but later he also had some magnetism abilities. Amazing-Man III could absorb and duplicate energy.
    I'm a bit tired of black characters having electric/ magnetic powers(and I love BL, his daughter and Static), so I'd drop the magnetism and keep the matter mimicry, energy absorption and energy duplication.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I'm a bit tired of black characters having electric/ magnetic powers(and I love BL, his daughter and Static), so I'd drop the magnetism and keep the matter mimicry, energy absorption and energy duplication.
    Didn’t think about that. Add the new Lightning Lad to the list. Yeah, definitely no electro magnetism.

Let's hope this tease indicates an actual significant return of the character rather than DC just using him for the optics.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Guys, what if Tom Taylor is writing the JSA back in WW2? And Amazing Man is going to be on the team?
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

ANIMAL MAN 1.jpgalways been one of my fav's

AMAZING 1.jpgalways been one of my fav's

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Whatever this is, I am down for it. I've loved everything Tom Taylor has done so far, despite being utterly indifferent to the core ideas behind some of the comics he's written like DCeased and Injustice.

I missed out on Will Evertt III’s career, as i wasn’t into the JLA or related books during his time w. them, but was a fan of the original Amazing Man, who never showed up nearly enough. I also liked Markus Clay; i thought he was well conceived, and hoped he would catch on but nothing ever came of it. Just two days ago i cast Markus in the role of team leader in an Ultimates like DC team, as Markus once mentioned starting his own team. But again nothing ever came of it.

Anyhow, this thread gives me some hope that DC may actually do something w. it’s most overlooked heroic legacy. Looking forward to more updates as they happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Guys, what if Tom Taylor is writing the JSA back in WW2? And Amazing Man is going to be on the team?
    I'd f**king love a JSA series set in the 40's. I'm a big fan of pulp and I feel like we'd get a healthy dose of that in a WWII era JSA.

I gotta agree with dropping the lightning/magnetic powers. It seems like every black man in comics either has a suit of armor or electric powers. Plus, those don't really mesh with the standard "matter copying" abilities of Amazing Men.

I'd totally support AM being able to mimic non-solids (like some versions have done) because otherwise you're largely limiting yourself to "brute" abilities; strength and durability, etc. You could get more variety out of it, copying copper for it's ability to conduct electricity and whatnot, but writers will almost never put that kind of thought into it, it'll just be "he copies a rock, and gets strong and tough."

My kingdom to see Amazing Man get his hands on some Nth metal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Whatever this is, I am down for it. I've loved everything Tom Taylor has done so far, despite being utterly indifferent to the core ideas behind some of the comics he's written like DCeased and Injustice.
    Agreed. I haven't read DCeased, and have only read a few issues of Injustice, but what I've seen makes it look like Taylor was handed a dog's dinner of a concept and he still managed to make it work. If he can make a flawed premise like Injustice a enjoyable story then he can write whatever the hell he wants as far as I'm concerned.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I gotta agree with dropping the lightning/magnetic powers. It seems like every black man in comics either has a suit of armor or electric powers. Plus, those don't really mesh with the standard "matter copying" abilities of Amazing Men.

I'd totally support AM being able to mimic non-solids (like some versions have done) because otherwise you're largely limiting yourself to "brute" abilities; strength and durability, etc. You could get more variety out of it, copying copper for it's ability to conduct electricity and whatnot, but writers will almost never put that kind of thought into it, it'll just be "he copies a rock, and gets strong and tough."

My kingdom to see Amazing Man get his hands on some Nth metal though.
    Definitely not electromagnetism but I do like the idea of Amazing-Man being able to absorb energy to an extent and fire it back kinda like Bishop. Maybe even the ability to absorb kinetic energy. There's a lot they could do with his "absorbing power". Way more than just having him turn his body into metal.

There's also a huge weakness in the absorbing powers. Amazing Man II died when the villain tricked him into turning into glass. Then she simply shot him. Though he was also crazy powerful as shown when he absorbed all of The Overmasters power, then overloaded him.

Definitely not electromagnetism but I do like the idea of Amazing-Man being able to absorb energy to an extent and fire it back kinda like Bishop. Maybe even the ability to absorb kinetic energy. There's a lot they could do with his "absorbing power". Way more than just having him turn his body into metal.

There's also a huge weakness in the absorbing powers. Amazing Man II died when the villain tricked him into turning into glass. Then she simply shot him. Though he was also crazy powerful as shown when he absorbed all of The Overmasters power, then overloaded him.
    He should be able to control his powers more than that - to be able to recognize what he's touching and then turn into it as a conscious decision at least.(and also have a catalog in his mind somewhere of materials he's touched so that he can call upon them at any time) I did not like how he got nerfed in Starman.

Yeah, that death was pretty lame. I can sorta-kinda understand it, as Will was distracted and not paying attention and he wasn't the most experienced hero around, but.....yeah, it was pretty damn weak. He and his team just got the red shirt treatment to sell how dangerous the new Mist could be.

I'd honestly be fine if Will could replicate any solid, liquid, or gas. Energy would be great but if he can just mimic the three basic states of matter I'd be satisfied; that's a whole pile of options.

I wouldn't let him replicate any material he's ever touched either; I feel like you'd run into trouble with that. Look at the show Heroes; they had a guy who could copy powers, and then access them at any point afterwards, and it quickly became a problem.

But if Will carried a bunch of different materials in his utility belt? That'd work. That would give him options without giving him too many options, as well as show that he's putting some thought into his heroics and trying to be prepared instead of just running into a fight saying "Boy I hope there's some useful stuff around for me to mimic!"
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-31-2020 at 07:56 AM.

~ Black Panther.