Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really didn't love Priest on Justice League. I mean, the story was serious and executed well but it felt clinical and a lot of characters just felt "off" or overly-aggressive to me.

So as talented as Priest is that's why I'm always hesitant to see him write titles like Superman. But that's just me.
    I loved Priest's Black Panther despite Panther being the least interesting character.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Part of the appeal for me is that I don’t think we’d get a traditional take on either Batman or Superman from him, and I want to see what that looks like. I’d put Priest on Detective or Action, and basically let the “main” books offer a more traditional take. I mean what’s the point of having two books if they’re both going for the same tone? Obviously he could totally botch it, but Batman fans have plenty of other options to get their fix, and we Superman fans are used to eating up punishment

But you don’t really get a legendary run unless you’re willing to break away from what people think a character “must” be. Batman in particular is an example of this, his reinvention in the 70s after the Adam West show, Frank Miller’s DKR arguing that no Batman COULD grow old and still kick ass, Morrison’s Bat-Epic which was a firm rejection of the popular belief that Batman is insane, and on and on. Ewing’s Immortal Hulk is another great example, casting Hulk as a horror character, playing around with the Devil Hulk incarnation which wa a originally a straight up evil Hulk but is now more nebulous, etc. Or Hickman transforming the X-Men from gluttons for punishment who keep getting genocide into their current incarnation that addresses topics like the singularity.

I want stuff like that for Supes (and DC as a whole), and I’m not going to get it from the typical good ol’ farmboy Clark take. Priest I think would push the envelope, and I’d like to encourage that in comics. Sometimes it crashes and burns like (imo) Zack Snyder’s take on the characters, but sometimes it succeeds and helps a character find new fans.

Plus I’ll be honest: I’m curious what a black writer would bring to the table with two of the biggest heroes in comics. I wanna see if he s got an angle I have not seen before.
    You said it much better and my thoughts are the same
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 08-02-2020 at 12:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'm hopeful we'll see more new writers start to pop up next year at DC like how Marvel has slowly been getting new female writers like tini howards, kelly thompson etc.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Part of the appeal for me is that I don’t think we’d get a traditional take on either Batman or Superman from him, and I want to see what that looks like. I’d put Priest on Detective or Action, and basically let the “main” books offer a more traditional take. I mean what’s the point of having two books if they’re both going for the same tone? Obviously he could totally botch it, but Batman fans have plenty of other options to get their fix, and we Superman fans are used to eating up punishment

But you don’t really get a legendary run unless you’re willing to break away from what people think a character “must” be. Batman in particular is an example of this, his reinvention in the 70s after the Adam West show, Frank Miller’s DKR arguing that no Batman COULD grow old and still kick ass, Morrison’s Bat-Epic which was a firm rejection of the popular belief that Batman is insane, and on and on. Ewing’s Immortal Hulk is another great example, casting Hulk as a horror character, playing around with the Devil Hulk incarnation which wa a originally a straight up evil Hulk but is now more nebulous, etc. Or Hickman transforming the X-Men from gluttons for punishment who keep getting genocide into their current incarnation that addresses topics like the singularity.

I want stuff like that for Supes (and DC as a whole), and I’m not going to get it from the typical good ol’ farmboy Clark take. Priest I think would push the envelope, and I’d like to encourage that in comics. Sometimes it crashes and burns like (imo) Zack Snyder’s take on the characters, but sometimes it succeeds and helps a character find new fans.

Plus I’ll be honest: I’m curious what a black writer would bring to the table with two of the biggest heroes in comics. I wanna see if he s got an angle I have not seen before.
    I'd like to see what Chris Priest would come up with in a SUPERMAN book. Give him time to grow his story and concepts.

Give Joelle Jones BATMAN, and let her do a lengthy run (if she's into it, she's more than got the chops). Double plus if she does some cover art sometimes.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-02-2020 at 07:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'd like to see what Chris Priest would come up with in a SUPERMAN book. Give him time to grow his story and concepts.

Give Joelle Jones BATMAN, and let her do a lengthy run (if she's into it, she's more than got the chops). Double plus if she does some cover art sometimes.
    Ehh, just going by her catwoman run I wasn't a big fan.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Ehh, just going by her catwoman run I wasn't a big fan.
    To each their own I guess, I found it rich with ideas and idiosyncratic style choices. Strong authorial presence. Next to Ann Nocenti for best CATWOMAN run of recent decades.

When she was also illustrating it, it was one of the best books out there.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-02-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    DC (and Marvel) have TRIED to bring in new talent.

Excluding the behavior of editors, Dan and management-what did we see?

Pure DISRESPECT to many of those folks-before a single preview or even solicitation went up.

Especially to certain demographics. Led by the usual suspects.

Meanwhile the fanboy tears about how bad Tom Taylor, Snyder, Liefield, Bendis, Tynion, Jurgens, Abnett and ESPECIALLY Robert Vendetti & Scott Lobdell are. Yet it's books with them that are moving copies. So DC has no choice but to keep giving them work and burning them out.

They are not getting folks off the street with no experience. Gene Luen Yang has a resume. So does Hope Larson and everyone else fans have disrespected for existing.

Fans have to give new blood SHOT or do fans want every book by Bendis in the next few years?
    Sad but true.

Astonishing Member

I feel like Priest would do a poor job with Superman, his writing style is way too cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I feel like Priest would do a poor job with Superman, his writing style is way too cynical.
    I really detest the notion that a writer must be “hopeful” (whatever that means) to write a fictional character. Alan Moore was very cynical and dark, his breakthrough at DC was a horror comic, but while his Superman stories are darker and cynical, they’re still great. A good writer adapts to the character he’s writing, and sometimes he adapts the character to him. Sometimes they fail like Azzarelo’s For Tomorrow did, but I don’t think the occasional try should be ruled out.
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-02-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Mighty Member

One thing I'd love Scott to focus on is American Vampire. Wasn't he at the third and final cycle? The story stopped in the 1950s and nothing more was heard. I guess that was when his workload at DC was picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    One thing I'd love Scott to focus on is American Vampire. Wasn't he at the third and final cycle? The story stopped in the 1950s and nothing more was heard. I guess that was when his workload at DC was picking up.
    You’re in luck: American Vampire is coming back, final arc is set in the 1970s.

Mighty Member

I saw Jones on a panel at a con once, and, to be frank, she came off as really disinterested in writing. I just came away with the impression that it’s not something she’s generally wanting to do.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I saw Jones on a panel at a con once, and, to be frank, she came off as really disinterested in writing. I just came away with the impression that it’s not something she’s generally wanting to do.
    That's kind of a surprise for someone who actually migrated into writing instead of just remaining a pure artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's kind of a surprise for someone who actually migrated into writing instead of just remaining a pure artist.
    Jim Lee I think has expressed similar opinions. He tried writing his own stuff at Image and didn’t really enjoy it. Some people just don’t feel the urge to be writers.

Jim Lee I think has expressed similar opinions. He tried writing his own stuff at Image and didn’t really enjoy it. Some people just don’t feel the urge to be writers.
    I guess in Jones' case it's more surprising because I feel like she's been received better than Lee's written work was, but I guess when you're heart's not in it...

Give the BATMAN book to Joelle Jones and let her run things.

The current run is so stale.
    Tynions run is so much fun. Not perfect, but it's exciting. I wasn't impressed with Jones work on Catwoman myself.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-