Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Snyder's got that Nightwing project he keeps teasing for Black Label which he said was looking good in regards to getting the go ahead, he also said he's been more involved with what the future of continuity looks like, even if he won't be writing it, and he plans to restart the writers workshop to bring in new talent.

He might not be doing a main book, but he's still doing a lot for DC.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Okay, so he's not gonna be the next world/time builder. I think DC already considers Death Metal less important, as in, it's not going to be the timeline-fixer to replace the Generation series and that's why they push forward with Eternal Winter without waiting for it to end.

Also, even if Snyder finishes Metal by giving Wally the power to change timeline back, I'm sure he's gonna conclude it with Everything is Canon since that's his stance on things. I don't think he'll spend time on detailed Didio timeline.

Who're the next writers in line that can be world/time builder? Tynion's staying on Batfam. Bendis?

Are Johns and Morrison also staying on the sideline?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Okay, so he's not gonna be the next world/time builder. I think DC already considers Death Metal less important, as in, it's not going to be the timeline-fixer to replace the Generation series and that's why they push forward with Eternal Winter without waiting for it to end.

Also, even if Snyder finishes Metal by giving Wally the power to change timeline back, I'm sure he's gonna conclude it with Everything is Canon since that's his stance on things. I don't think he'll spend time on detailed Didio timeline.
    If this is true, DC has a major problem with series to "fix" the timeline. Deciding during a series that its intended status as fixing would be changed and shifted to another series is weak-sauce. Doing it more than ponce and maintaining the next pone will be the one is really a scummy marketing strategy. Fix the damn timeline, already.

Astonishing Member

Who're the next writers in line that can be world/time builder? Tynion's staying on Batfam. Bendis?
    Doubtful. Given the mixed reaction to his Superman run and the entire Even Leviathan fail, I think they at least expected more from him. And he already played an important role in writing 5G with DiDio, etc, and after all this was canceled, it's unlikely that he will be put in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Are Johns and Morrison also staying on the sideline?
    Johns is involved with the TV shows and movies, he’s not going to be guiding the mainline anymore. Too busy. Morrison is trying to break into Hollywood and has already said TGL will be his last ongoing. Both of them have already spent a good chunk of their careers helping to guide DC so I’m cool with them focusing more on outside work. Frankly I think now is the time for DC to start promoting new voices.

Bendis and King are too risky. I’ve enjoyed Bendis work but has not lit up the world critically or commercially. I don’t know how much clout he has any more at the company, I’m skeptical that a Bendis JL would be any good frankly. He will probably get Batman at some point though. King seems burnt out after his Batman run, I expect him to focus on his 12 issue maxis since that’s where he seems to shine. I don’t think he has any desire to write JL or do another big monthly.

Tynion and Williamson seem like the obvious choices to take over, but both of them have pretty much been doing that already. Tynion was co-writing JL with Snyder, and doing JLD. He’s mentioned in his newsletter that he wants to focus on his creator owned work in addition to Batman so he can have stuff he owns. Batman already drives the line but I don’t know if Tynion would want or be able to guide the line. Williamson seems like the obvious choice to take on JL. His Flash run is finishing up soon, he only wrote a few JLO issues before bailing so he’s not as burnt out on team books as Tynion no doubt is. Other than Batman/Superman he doesn’t have any long term work so he seems like the obvious choice to guide the line, no idea how good at it he’ll be.

Fraction and KSD have both done great work, but again, they seem mostly focused on Hollywood stuff with comics as a side gig. Fraction would be a great get on any of the major books, his Jimmy Olsen was absolutely delightful, but I have no clue if he’s got any interest in that. I think KSD is approaching the end of her Aquaman run, so we’ll see if she wants any of the other major characters.

Rest of DC is either company men like Jurgens and Tomasi who put out solid but unremarkable work, and aren’t big enough names to be given the job of driving the line, or guys operating on the fringes like Venditti who has done great stuff with Hawkman I hear. Venditti, Spurrier, Ram V, maybe Jeff Loveness, Yang, Priest, and a few people driven away under Didio should be brought back if possible. But also DC should take some risks and bring in new people. Why haven’t any of the writers from the previous DC Wriring Workshops been offered jobs? Vita and Rosenberg went to Marvel and are doing good work there despite DC training them! There’s no freaking point in Snyder’s workshops if DC isn’t even going to bother to test some new blood out.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I'm not a huge fan of Snyder. Some of his stuff I've loved. Some of his stuff I've thought was not good. But I'm still glad he's staying at DC. I'd like to see him write a character/team I'd be more inclined to read. But I'm not sure where his talents really lie beyond bombastic superhero stuff and horror. And he's already done Swamp Thing. Maybe JLD down the line? Zatanna? House of Secrets/Mystery? Maybe The Atom or Black Lightning? Or a more fringe superhero like Vibe or Natasha Irons?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Bendis and King are too risky. I’ve enjoyed Bendis work but has not lit up the world critically or commercially. I don’t know how much clout he has any more at the company, I’m skeptical that a Bendis JL would be any good frankly. He will probably get Batman at some point though. King seems burnt out after his Batman run, I expect him to focus on his 12 issue maxis since that’s where he seems to shine. I don’t think he has any desire to write JL or do another big monthly.
    Bendis on Batman...oye vey... I actually love the idea of King sticking to limited series, 12-ishes or otherwise (but yeah, sure 12 has a nice measurable consistency to it). Those types of comics/stories are actually right up my alley. I'm curious if he'll ever be allowed to do one on less fringe-esque characters. I don't see why DC wouldn't allow it or even maybe pitch the idea themselves. "Hey, want to write a 12-issue maxi on the Flash? Supergirl?" I'd love to see that. But the C-listers are cool, too.

Rest of DC is either company men like Jurgens and Tomasi who put out solid but unremarkable work, and aren’t big enough names to be given the job of driving the line, or guys operating on the fringes like Venditti who has done great stuff with Hawkman I hear. Venditti, Spurrier, Ram V, maybe Jeff Loveness, Yang, Priest, and a few people driven away under Didio should be brought back if possible. But also DC should take some risks and bring in new people. Why haven’t any of the writers from the previous DC Wriring Workshops been offered jobs? Vita and Rosenberg went to Marvel and are doing good work there despite DC training them! There’s no freaking point in Snyder’s workshops if DC isn’t even going to bother to test some new blood out.
    I'm a bit ignorant to news...by "brought back" do you mean it's known they'll be leaving/their contracts are up soon? I'd definitely like to see more Ram V, Castellucci, Spurrier, Priest, and Mark Russell. Tamaki and Jemisin too, if they want to keep writing comics. Though, I'm not sure DC would want any of them on "Central Line" titles. Not sure I would either. I'd love to see their takes on more fringe and obscure stuff, perhaps just so they're given more freedom. Venditti is cool, but I haven't anything from him in probably 5+ years, so I'm a bit out of touch. As for current indie writers I'd like to see at DC are W Maxwell Prince, Marjorie Liu, Alex Paknadel, and Chelsea Cain (if she wants to keep writing comics, too. Lot of recent women writers are seemingly poached from their novel careers). Liu is the only one of them, afaik, who has Big 2 superhero history. I'm curious if she'd even want to return. But hey, I can always dream.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

I would guess maybe Black Series books when he does do superhero's for DC at this point.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    God help us if that's the case, if this title happens in the World War II, i can almost see him creating Harley's great grandma as part of the old JSA
    Why?!? Why do people keep giving them ideas?!? You know he'll read that and say, "Good idea, but I think I can do better..."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I mean knowing Taylor, she'd be member of the Nazis but we'd still be expected to feel sympathy for her.
    Oh god, I sure hope Tom Taylor isn't doing JSA. That couldn't be a less interesting choice.

Of all the major DC creators, he's the one I keep confusing with Zack Snyder.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-30-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Johns is involved with the TV shows and movies, he’s not going to be guiding the mainline anymore. Too busy. Morrison is trying to break into Hollywood and has already said TGL will be his last ongoing. Both of them have already spent a good chunk of their careers helping to guide DC so I’m cool with them focusing more on outside work. Frankly I think now is the time for DC to start promoting new voices.

Tynion and Williamson seem like the obvious choices to take over, but both of them have pretty much been doing that already. Tynion was co-writing JL with Snyder, and doing JLD. He’s mentioned in his newsletter that he wants to focus on his creator owned work in addition to Batman so he can have stuff he owns. Batman already drives the line but I don’t know if Tynion would want or be able to guide the line. Williamson seems like the obvious choice to take on JL. His Flash run is finishing up soon, he only wrote a few JLO issues before bailing so he’s not as burnt out on team books as Tynion no doubt is. Other than Batman/Superman he doesn’t have any long term work so he seems like the obvious choice to guide the line, no idea how good at it he’ll be.

Fraction and KSD have both done great work, but again, they seem mostly focused on Hollywood stuff with comics as a side gig. Fraction would be a great get on any of the major books, his Jimmy Olsen was absolutely delightful, but I have no clue if he’s got any interest in that. I think KSD is approaching the end of her Aquaman run, so we’ll see if she wants any of the other major characters.

Williamson and Tynion I can’t really see as masterminds or even the kind who write the big event stories, well maybe Tynion what with this big Joker story. I think Taylor absolutely could fill Snyder’s boots buts that’s a big if, seeing as he steers towards elseworlds. Unfortunately I think Bendis failing upwards is likely.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Give the BATMAN book to Joelle Jones and let her run things.

The current run is so stale.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-30-2020 at 02:45 PM.

I think Snyder said he wants to start the workshops up again.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Williamson and Tynion I can’t really see as masterminds or even the kind who write the big event stories, well maybe Tynion what with this big Joker story. I think Taylor absolutely could fill Snyder’s boots buts that’s a big if, seeing as he steers towards elseworlds. Unfortunately I think Bendis failing upwards is likely.
    Snyder wasn't a "big name" when he took over Batman. Johns wasn't a big name at first either. You don't have to be a big name to be the person DC backs as their main creative force. DC just has to have faith that you can steer the company in the direction they want it steered. Literally anyone at DC can be that "name" right now.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Provided that this means that Bendis and his friends (+ King) won't helm the DCU I'm good. Otherwise his semi-departure will only exacerbate the DCU smh.