Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

While I realize losing a talent is never a net positive, at the same time realistically all that's being lost in regards to the main line is an incredibly overzealous Batman writer. And there's no shortage of people foaming at the mouth to work on Batman titles. I'm not even convinced this means the legion of Batmen in the Dark Multiverse will go away.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-30-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Provided that this means that Bendis and his friends (+ King) won't helm the DCU I'm good. Otherwise his semi-departure will only exacerbate the DCU smh.
    I'd take Bendis over Snyder, I've enjoyed YJ. Can't say the same thing about Metal or Death Metal. As for King, I don't trust him to write anything decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    While I realize losing a talent is never a net positive, at the same time realistically all that's being lost in regards to the main line is an incredibly overzealous Batman writer. And there's no shortage of people foaming at the mouth to work on Batman titles. I'm not even convinced this means the legion of Batmen in the Dark Multiverse will go away.
    To be fair I think Snyder is the only one who cares about his legion of Batmen, so hopefully we'll be spared. lol.

There should be no single writer whom in practice helms the entire DCU direction in the first place. For a while they could get away with this with Johns because, despite my not necessarily being a fan of his work with every single character, he had genuine interest and knowledge in so many properties. He could work on big things and give importance to a lot of different things at the same time. No one else helming big events with DC has shown they have this capability. I mean, outside of Grant Morrison but he doesn't work with DC to the exclusive nature that this type of role requires. So don't even give anyone that type of power to begin with. If you have to do the big events and do them often--and we know DC does, wishing they'd ease back is just moot at this point--then they need to be collaborative ventures in the future.

To be fair I think Snyder is the only one who cares about his legion of Batmen, so hopefully we'll be spared. lol.
    God I hope so. The "There's a Bat For That" mentality needs to die.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-30-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I'd take Bendis over Snyder, I've enjoyed YJ. Can't say the same thing about Metal or Death Metal. As for King, I don't trust him to write anything decent.
    Glad you liked YJ. I personally did not, it was just a bunch of teens yelling something with no trait of their own, a.k.a. typical Bendis-speak. The plot seems to be all over the place as well even from the start IMO.
    IMHO, current Bendis isn't good at writing comics, team books are even worse.

There should be no single writer whom in practice helms the entire DCU direction in the first place. For a while they could get away with this with Johns because, despite my not necessarily being a fan of his work with every single character, he had genuine interest and knowledge in so many properties. He could work on big things and give importance to a lot of different things at the same time. No one else helming big events with DC has shown they have this capability. I mean, outside of Grant Morrison but he doesn't work with DC to the exclusive nature that this type of role requires. So don't even give anyone that type of power to begin with. If you have to do the big events and do them often--and we know DC does, wishing they'd ease back is just moot at this point--then they need to be collaborative ventures in the future.

Yep, I couldn't have said it better.

I also agree that nobody should get full control. I love Johns' work but he seems to be gettinng worse/uninterested (due to age?/tv/film industry/etc.) as well so that's out of the window. How do you imagine those collabs in the future? Would you prefer it on a smaller scale with 2-5 writers or 5-10 writers or even more?

Astonishing Member

Glad you liked YJ. I personally did not, it was just a bunch of teens yelling something with no trait of their own, a.k.a. typical Bendis-speak. The plot seems to be all over the place as well even from the start IMO.
    IMHO, current Bendis isn't good at writing comics, team books are even worse.
    YJ for all of its flaws is coherent. Metal and Death Metal(so far) are an incoherent mess. The only thing I understand is BWL/ Darkest Knight/ whatever nonsense he's calling himself now is OP, everything's edgy and dark and might possibly lead to a reboot or retool.

Yep, I couldn't have said it better.

I also agree that nobody should get full control. I love Johns' work but he seems to be gettinng worse/uninterested (due to age?/tv/film industry/etc.) as well so that's out of the window. How do you imagine those collabs in the future? Would you prefer it on a smaller scale with 2-5 writers or 5-10 writers or even more?
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd imagine the bigger the scope, the larger you'd want the collaboration to be. I mean, if we're talking a primarily Justice League event for instance, 2-5 seems about right because really your main focus would be the main team. If its something that is by design bigger, like an Infinite Crisis or something like that, then I think you would want to go bigger so you get those points of views and important moments for other properties outside of your biggest.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I typically always find something to love about a Scott Snyder book, and enjoy the hell out of his big idea heavy metal stuff.

I don't think anyone should "lead the DCU" either though, the "DCU" is just a line of books made up by various creators on various concepts and each book should feel authentic and have its own autonomy.

More autonomy would definitely be my preference, if I felt it was realistic. Unfortunately I just don't think that's a mindset they at all consider anymore. The constricting connectivity just doesn't look like something they're willing to lose, and I can't entirely blame them because those events that they derive from that strong interconnectivity does still sell. Where I do blame them is that they rely on it too much at the expense of the individual titles getting to develop their own rhythms. I am exhausted from that like a lot of you guys.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd imagine the bigger the scope, the larger you'd want the collaboration to be. I mean, if we're talking a primarily Justice League event for instance, 2-5 seems about right because really your main focus would be the main team. If its something that is by design bigger, like an Infinite Crisis or something like that, then I think you would want to go bigger so you get those points of views and important moments for other properties outside of your biggest.
    Yeah, that makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    YJ for all of its flaws is coherent. Metal and Death Metal(so far) are an incoherent mess. The only thing I understand is BWL/ Darkest Knight/ whatever nonsense he's calling himself now is OP, everything's edgy and dark and might possibly lead to a reboot or retool.
    Well, Snyder packs in a lot more in his comics than Bendis generally does. He's not much of a decompressed writer.

Do I dislike the BWL more than I do Rogal Zaar? I'm not sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Snyder packs in a lot more in his comics than Bendis generally does. He's not much of a decompressed writer.

Both are terrible, but Rogal is a bit more likable and doesn't get all these major feats and victories off screen.

Extraordinary Member

Snyder was really solid follow up to Morrison, but you can tell he likes to do his own thing. He peaked with Black Mirror, which was largely a work where he got to play with Grayson’s Batmsn away in a side story away from Morrison’s plot

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Rogal Zaar at least stays in Superman related titles.
    BWL, on the other side, became the main antagonist of entire DC Universe. In the event, which Snyder presents as the final of all Crises, it is he who is the main villain, who defeated everyone and got Doctor Manhattan's powers. Snyder shoves him cleanly into all throats.