Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Process of Elimination: Who can we be sure Kindred ain't? SPOILERS

Ever since Nick Spencer started his run in 2018 (which isn't that long back but owing to the pandemic it feels so very long ago now), his run has centered around a mystery villain called Kindred. And there have been many threads and discussions featuring theories on who Kindred is. Rather than add to that, I realized that as we reach what seems to be a major moment in Spencer's run, i.e. the revelation of the Kindred mystery and/or Spider-Man confronting him, I thought to do something different. A listing out of characters who we can be certain isn't Kindred. A process of elimination.

Now how can we certain a character isn't Kindred you might ask?
    -- One parameter is we see Kindred interacting with said character or otherwise in the same space as the character i.e. overlooking/staring and so on. If we see Kindred and [INSERT CHARACTER NAME] separately in the same time and space, we can be sure we are dealing with two different characters.
    -- If we see Kindred summoning the spirit of a dead character (as in the Sins' Rising prelude) we can be certain we are dealing with two different characters.

So based on that we can rule out:
    -- A substantial chunk of the rogues gallery we have seen in Spencer's run: Kingpin, Mendell Stromm, Boomerang, Gog, Kraven, the Sinister Six led by Lady Beetle, Doctor Doom, Arcade, Vulture, The Gibbon, Felicia Hardy, The Thieves' Guild, Overdrive, Chance, Mysterio, Lady Electro, Norman Osborn.
    -- We can also rule out characters featured in satellite titles: Venom, Carnage, Doctor Octopus.
    -- The following members of Peter's supporting cast: J. Jonah Jameson, Norah Winters, Randy Robertson, Robbie Robertson, Aunt May, Teresa, Mary Jane Watson, Carlie Cooper (as of ASM#45, where before she was a semi-known theory).
    -- We can also rule out Miles Morales and his extended family and supporting cast owing to his status as a satellite.
    -- Assuming Kindred is someone dead, we can rule out definitively Jean DeWolff as not being Kindred (based on Sins' Rising).

So where does this process of elimination leave us.
    -- A good chunk of the living and active cast of ASM are ruled out. The major exception is Harry Osborn who we haven't seen on page since the penultimate Slott issue. Not my favorite theory, but the fact is he hasn't been ruled out.
    -- Among the dead characters, the following aren't ruled out entirely -- George Stacy, Gwen Stacy, Ned Leeds, Flash Thompson, and that's among the prominent dead supporting characters. Technically speaking Nathaniel Lubensky hasn't been ruled out so he qualifies as still being on paper. So one can add almost any dead character to the list and claim it qualifies.

So the pool of suspects is larger among dead characters (hmm...almost like a dead pool...RJ you are a genius) than living.

The only character who explicitly seems to know who Kindred is, is Norman Osborn at least in one of his addled states as in the Absolute Carnage tie-ins.

You are all free to add/subtract/correct/qualify me on this.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 07-29-2020 at 08:43 PM.