Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    That is a good catch. He has to join the top tier of suspects
    Ezekial was my first suspect when I saw Kindred clinging to a wall while talking to Mysterio in issue 24 or 25.

Spectacular Member

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but what are the odds that Kindred's demonic nature is a hoax of some kind? Having a demon be a major villain in Spider-Man has felt strange to me. Could It be a Mysterio like hoax? I know there's a lot of instances of him doing impossible feats, but the MU is a crazy place. Maybe he has advanced tech or something.

I'm also a fan of them multiple Kindreds theory.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but what are the odds that Kindred's demonic nature is a hoax of some kind? Having a demon be a major villain in Spider-Man has felt strange to me. Could It be a Mysterio like hoax? I know there's a lot of instances of him doing impossible feats, but the MU is a crazy place. Maybe he has advanced tech or something.

Unless Spencer is playing fast and loose with his own narrative, I think the dream-walking and Mysterio resurrection both point to "mystical" (as does Dr. Strange's upcoming appearance per solicits). The dream walking could be some sort of hypnosis, sure, and Mysterio's resurrection can have some other explanation, I suppose, but it's a bit of a cheat if that's the case
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Unless Spencer is playing fast and loose with his own narrative, I think the dream-walking and Mysterio resurrection both point to "mystical" (as does Dr. Strange's upcoming appearance per solicits). The dream walking could be some sort of hypnosis, sure, and Mysterio's resurrection can have some other explanation, I suppose, but it's a bit of a cheat if that's the case
    I agree with you. I'd be very disappointed and angry if these events were caused by misdirection.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was Mysterio the whole time. Wouldn't be the first time.

It's an interesting thing to consider for sure, it'd be less likely for a character like Kindred to really turn out to be "as-advertised" in Spidey up to the early 2000s. In 2001 JMS introduced the mysticism concept to Spider-Man and at first it was something that potentially could be up to interpretation but later on it became more explicit as things went on with stories like The Other. The spider-heroes from different realities is handled in a more mystical way as well, especially with it being tied to Morlun's expanded family and back to the mystical totem ideas (I much prefer the Spider-Verse movie's handling of the whole thing where there's a more science-based reason for everything and it's tied to human motivation with Kingpin). I think Spidey comics have more entrenched themselves in mysticism over the last twenty years, I'm not sure if it totally works for the character but that's what it is. It's like Judas Traveller in the Clone Saga, he shows up as this omnipotent mystical figure only to later be retconned to have just been a mutant with reality-bending powers and a belief that he really was what he said he was. Honestly I preferred the super powerful interpretation rather than the retcon lol.

Mysterio showed up in PAD's Friendly Neighborhood during Civil War and it was all the Mysterio's, Beck was saying he was sent from hell (which was PAD's way of foreshadowing One More Day), then he next showed up in the Gauntlet era in ASM and Dan Slott had Beck back no questions asked "Master of illusion!", I like that Nick Spencer is actually following up on the consequences of Beck's past actions rather than waving it away. I mean he's Mysterio so obviously you could say "Master of illusion!" and just go back to doing the fun Mysterio thing but to me that cheapens past stories.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 08-31-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    It's an interesting thing to consider for sure, it'd be less likely for a character like Kindred to really turn out to be "as-advertised" in Spidey up to the early 2000s. In 2001 JMS introduced the mysticism concept to Spider-Man and at first it was something that potentially could be up to interpretation but later on it became more explicit as things went on with stories like The Other. The spider-heroes from different realities is handled in a more mystical way as well, especially with it being tied to Morlun's expanded family and back to the mystical totem ideas (I much prefer the Spider-Verse movie's handling of the whole thing where there's a more science-based reason for everything and it's tied to human motivation with Kingpin). I think Spidey comics have more entrenched themselves in mysticism over the last twenty years, I'm not sure if it totally works for the character but that's what it is. It's like Judas Traveller in the Clone Saga, he shows up as this omnipotent mystical figure only to later be retconned to have just been a mutant with reality-bending powers and a belief that he really was what he said he was. Honestly I preferred the super powerful interpretation rather than the retcon lol.

Mysterio showed up in PAD's Friendly Neighborhood during Civil War and it was all the Mysterio's, Beck was saying he was sent from hell (which was PAD's way of foreshadowing One More Day), then he next showed up in the Gauntlet era in ASM and Dan Slott had Beck back no questions asked "Master of illusion!", I like that Nick Spencer is actually following up on the consequences of Beck's past actions rather than waving it away. I mean he's Mysterio so obviously you could say "Master of illusion!" and just go back to doing the fun Mysterio thing but to me that cheapens past stories.
    Kindred is probably a demon as advertised, but I feel like making the main villain in Spider-Man for several years be a demon is a strange choice. Yes, Morlun and the Inheritors were major villains, but JMS' story was more about Peter moving into true adulthood as a teacher than it was Morlun. Kindred and the mystery surrounding him makes him more at the center of things in a way.

Honestly this reveal is going to disappoint regardless and I'm just ready to have this story resolved.

Extraordinary Member

Kindred is probably a demon as advertised, but I feel like making the main villain in Spider-Man for several years be a demon is a strange choice. Yes, Morlun and the Inheritors were major villains, but JMS' story was more about Peter moving into true adulthood as a teacher than it was Morlun. Kindred and the mystery surrounding him makes him more at the center of things in a way.

Honestly this reveal is going to disappoint regardless and I'm just ready to have this story resolved.
    I believe whichever Spider-Man character is Kindred, made a deal with Mephisto himself to become a demon.

Hey, whatever happened to Demogoblin anyway?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Hey, whatever happened to Demogoblin anyway?
    Carnage revived Demogoblin using Shrieks body as Demo's vessel. Last she was seen was in the pages of Scream Curse of Carnage which was probably cancelled with no resolution.

Spectacular Member

You have to remember that Kindred must be someone who deeply hates both Peter Parker and Norman Osborn (we saw him threatening Osborn at Ravencroft and he's trying to destroy Peter's life at the same time). Pre-OMD Harry Osborn would make sense in a way as he hated Peter for what he did to Norman and he kinda felt hated by Norman who saw him as a weak man, not worthy to be his heir. I don't know, Kindred is a sort of demon with magical powers, so he's not like a split personality stalker (that could be anyone). I would rule out Gwen Stacy (please let her alone for once), but every dead character would make sense. A Peter Parker clone would be bland and ridiculous and the dead May Parker wouldn't make much sense. The only guy who looks the part is Pre-OMD Harry Osborn, but maybe it would be too obvious.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    You have to remember that Kindred must be someone who deeply hates both Peter Parker and Norman Osborn (we saw him threatening Osborn at Ravencroft and he's trying to destroy Peter's life at the same time). Pre-OMD Harry Osborn would make sense in a way as he hated Peter for what he did to Norman and he kinda felt hated by Norman who saw him as a weak man, not worthy to be his heir. I don't know, Kindred is a sort of demon with magical powers, so he's not like a split personality stalker (that could be anyone). I would rule out Gwen Stacy (please let her alone for once), but every dead character would make sense. A Peter Parker clone would be bland and ridiculous and the dead May Parker wouldn't make much sense. The only guy who looks the part is Pre-OMD Harry Osborn, but maybe it would be too obvious.
    I do not see it being Harry. Here are things we know. 1: Spencer is about “Fixing things not about opening new doors ( see Kraven). 2: Spencer likes using obscure characters. Witness his success with Gibbon. Those two things make Harry unlikely. We also know that the most vile Spider-Man villains are in this order. 1: Cletus. 2: Norm. 3: Sin Eater. I put Cletus first because Norm did love his wife, so he is capable of caring about someone, and Sin Eater cares about the innocent, Cletus has never even shown that much. Since Osborn and Sin Eater are in the story, and Spencer who is not about “Rocking The Boat” and making Kindred worse then those two ( the idea of any sympathy for Osborn is impossible ( unless Harry is Kindred and he has to kill him), it makes me think that Kindred will not be in that trio, and will simply be a means to end OMD. So who do I suspect? I still am looking at these people: Ned, Ezekiel, and Jean DeWolffe’s brother The Wraith.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 09-01-2020 at 05:18 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This whole thing remains me of the Hobgoblin saga back in the 80s, and fans trying to figure out who from the supporting characters he really was

Amazing Member

The question I'm most interested in is: "Why hasn't Kindred revealed him/herself yet?" If you look at some other villains who originally had a secret identity, like Green Goblin and Hobgoblin, they certainly had a good reason to wear masks. After all they were successful businessmen and in that kind of position you obviously don't want the world know you also have a criminal life. Personally I really can't come up with a good reason for Kindred.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by A Maze Thing View Post
    The question I'm most interested in is: "Why hasn't Kindred revealed him/herself yet?" If you look at some other villains who originally had a secret identity, like Green Goblin and Hobgoblin, they certainly had a good reason to wear masks. After all they were successful businessmen and in that kind of position you obviously don't want the world know you also have a criminal life. Personally I really can't come up with a good reason for Kindred.
    One reason is fear. Fear of the unknown is greater then fear of the known. Think of the movie “The Birds.” One of the scariest movies ever. Why? No one knows the motivation of the birds, and if the birds will one day come back again. Think of Jaws, you have no idea when the shark will attack. Freddy and Jason you know exactly what they are going to do. Taking this to Spider-Man, when can anyone say Peter was totally helpless? When his strength, web shooters, intelligence, empathy or even quips cannot help him? I think of when he fought Silver Surfer ( the one time I think of him quitting a fight), or when Captain Stacy died and he said, “First Jameson, then Gwen and now the entire city is against me.” Even Spider-Island things were not that bleak. It looks like Sin Eater will even turn Miles etc against Peter so only Dr. Strange and maybe Norman and ( or) MJ if she pops up will be on his side.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by A Maze Thing View Post
    That's naturally because we don't know who they are yet. The reason will become more if apparent when it's finally revealed.