Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default How Many People Know Superman's Secret Identity?

Pre Crisis, Post Crisis, Post Flashpoint, Elsworlds, etc.

Right now? Everyone

Pre Crisis: The Kents, that’s it.

Post Crisis: The Kents, Lois, arguably Jimmy and Perry but they keep it to themselves

New 52: Everyone did after Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Right now? Everyone

Post Crisis: The Kents, Lois, arguably Jimmy and Perry but they keep it to themselves

New 52: Everyone did after Truth
    I remember a storyline during Countdown when Jimmy found Superman's identity, but then it suddenly wasn't acknoleged, did Jimmy lost his memory at some point or something.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

I thought Batman was supposed to have learned it very early on, because he wouldn't have been The World's Greatest Detective if he hadn't.

Astonishing Member

Then you have all the various re-boots of Superman's origin following Crisis. Usually Lana knows, sometimes Pete Ross too, and sometimes lots of other Smallvillians.

Astonishing Member

And of course even in the pre-Crisis era Lori Lemaris knew, because she's a telepath. I suppose all mermaids and mermen have always known too, for that same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I thought Batman was supposed to have learned it very early on, because he wouldn't have been The World's Greatest Detective if he hadn't.
    Well, he could still be the World's Greatest Detective if he didn't try, because he respected Superman's privacy as much as he'd want his own privacy respected by other heroes. Unfortunately, those days are long gone for Batman. Here is an early post-COIE one, when they didn't have their friendly history, for anyone who likes that setup.

Not really. During the earlier part of the bronze age there was a story about how all the JL members decided to share their identities with each other (recounting something that happened in the past). Plus more than one version of Bruce and he learning each other's identities, too, I think.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-24-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Pre-Crisis: Kents, the Justice League (pretty much anyone who was ever a member)

Post-Crisis: Kents, Lois, Batman, Wonder Woman; past that, don't know.

New 52: His landlady who was a magical being.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

In 1952 Clark and Bruce discovered each other's secret identify quite by accident, in Superman #76. It was a pretty contrived story, but back then that was largely the norm.

In the first Post-Crisis re-boot (i.e., Byrne's), Lana was the first person whom Clark told about his superpowers, and he hadn't actually become Superman (the public figure) yet.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Batman figured it out in the Byrne run, but to Superman's credit, he figured out who Batman without using X-ray vision through the cowl (Batman lined it with lead). Superman flat out told WW he's Clark kent.