Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what "stylized" means if we're including Adams, Reis, Churchill, etc. The was an issue Loeb did with splashes from around the industry, and though I think Joe Mad is phenomenal I wish I liked his part better.

But of very distinct styles, I've always really enjoyed Giffen getting to do it. Bogdanove is simultaneously perhaps the most studied and maybe the longest reigning king of style.

Warhol would generally lift from comics to make his image. The second image is definitely Curt Swan.

That's Ian Churchill.
    Yeah I can’t agree at all that Gary Frank, Kubert, or Reis are “stylized”. They’re house style. To me “stylized” means “unrealistic” or “not at all similar to Jim Lee’s style”.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what "stylized" means if we're including Adams, Reis, Churchill, etc. The was an issue Loeb did with splashes from around the industry, and though I think Joe Mad is phenomenal I wish I liked his part better.
    I have that issue tucked away in storage somewhere. But, as you said, not much to write home about.

However, I've always believed that Joe Mad could potentially be a great artist for Superman...

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I do also have a soft spot for Jerry Ordway Superman.
    Me too. Ordway's Power of SHAZAM! had an appearance from Superman, and I found it most enjoyable:

Quote Originally Posted by 4thHorseman View Post
    Ive always enjoyed Jon Bogdanove's Superman - in any iteration of the character.

What's wild about this is that Jon Bogdanove does a better "classic John Byrne Superman" than John Byrne now, lol

He can copy just about anyone's style, especially the classics.

Ed McGuiness, to me, is like if the late Golden Age Superman was drawn by Capcom (especially their "X-Men Vs SF" time). Which makes sense, because he's said in interviews that Capcom was an influence.
    Last edited by JAK; 08-02-2020 at 04:16 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Rocafort is great but I like it more as a cover artist, once he’s doing interiors it’s all still so beautiful and distinct, but it’s also really really busy and overwhelming if that makes sense. Especially in his red hood stuff.

Ed McGuiness probably does my favorite "non standard" Superman. He lived in my town and went to my LCS too, though I never met him (he might still live there for all I know). I just love how much physical presence Ed gives Superman; he looks like a paladin king in spandex, yknow?

And I think Joe Mad does one of the best Supermen around. That image above is pretty old, and the guy seems to have just gotten better. He did some, I guess they were covers, of the Trinity (and at least one with them and Harley) during Rebirth and they're just amazing.

Are we counting Dan Mora as a "flashier" artist? I am legit in love with that dude's talent, and he's drawn Superman a few times and just nails it perfectly, as he seems to with every gods damn character he touches (I'm jealous of his skill, if you couldn't tell )
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ed McGuiness probably does my favorite "non standard" Superman. He lived in my town and went to my LCS too, though I never met him (he might still live there for all I know). I just love how much physical presence Ed gives Superman; he looks like a paladin king in spandex, yknow?

And I think Joe Mad does one of the best Supermen around. That image above is pretty old, and the guy seems to have just gotten better. He did some, I guess they were covers, of the Trinity (and at least one with them and Harley) during Rebirth and they're just amazing.

Are we counting Dan Mora as a "flashier" artist? I am legit in love with that dude's talent, and he's drawn Superman a few times and just nails it perfectly, as he seems to with every gods damn character he touches (I'm jealous of his skill, if you couldn't tell )
    Oh, I love Dan Mora on pretty much anything he touches. If I didn't love Once & Future so much, I'd want him drawing Nightwing.

Daniel Brereton always had an interesting style. He can do a straight spooky look like in Legends of the World's Finest.
    d4e5eb4f26b0c4da345c36b7c0e6d1c4.jpg

Then he can turn around and do something that almost has a 50's pin up vibe.
    tumblr_orkespgjKD1trp40so1_1280.jpg
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Steve Rude

Another favorite would be...

Jim Steranko

Ladies and gentlemen, Ron Lim...:

I think he captures that powerful yet childlike quality Supes has. Obviously he can draw cosmic, and he's good at the earthbound stuff as well.
    I'd love to see him do an over the top Lex Luthor and just about any Superman related character/villain.

Another favorite would be...

Gene Colan

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-03-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Little earlier than we usually go, but Jack Kirby's Superman was honestly kinda ruined by the editorial mandate that made the totally different artists redraw Superman so he'd look the same as he did in every other Superman book at the time. Talk about totally missing the point of why they brought Kirby on the first place! He's supposed to look drastically different from everything else DC is doing, that's why he's Kirby, baby! But that original line art still holds up. I want to get a tattoo of his line-art. Not this picture though.

Rags Morales is one of my absolute favorite Superman artists ever. Can't say he draws the standard Man of Steel either! I don't know if you'd call him "Stylized" though, if anything he looks more realistic than someone like Jim Lee - it's just unusual in that he doesn't really look like you normally expect Superman to look - a little more like a real person, less like a larger-than-life hero, especially in the face.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Adekis; 08-04-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Mike Mignola

Eduardo Barreto

Mike Parobeck

Dave Gibbons

Walt Simonson

Will Eisner

Steve Ditko