Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mark Waid's Avengers run 2016 to 2017, is it worth my time and money?

Question as per thread title, all opinions welcome.
    Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 07-30-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Yes. It’s the last time I’ve loved the Avengers and most of the ancillary titles from the jump.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I would say no. I like Waid, but I found it very boring.

do you like very chill character stories y/n
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Nah. Better than Aaron's run though.

Yes and no.

Waid is a good solid comic book writer, and we got reasonably good solid old school comic book stories out of his Avengers run. It was fine.

That said, coming off of Bendis and Hickmans run it sort of felt a bit flat. We had these big massive epic game changing runs where the Avengers were literally the heart of the marvel universe to these smaller scale stories which almost felt a little bit like filler to be honest. Reasonably well written filler... but filler nonetheless.

It's not bad... but ultimately pretty forgetable.

It's a pretty standard Avengers run. Solid characterization and stories that shifts from being an adult and kids club to a normal Avengers team.

Terrible use of Spider-Man in the relaunch though.
    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yes and no.

Waid is a good solid comic book writer, and we got reasonably good solid old school comic book stories out of his Avengers run. It was fine.

That said, coming off of Bendis and Hickmans run it sort of felt a bit flat. We had these big massive epic game changing runs where the Avengers were literally the heart of the marvel universe to these smaller scale stories which almost felt a little bit like filler to be honest. Reasonably well written filler... but filler nonetheless.

At the same time I'd say the characterization and threats were more on-point and it felt more like an Avengers book than either Bendis or Hickman did.

Yes and no.

I don't like Bendis' extremely long time with the Avengers, he had some good moments but at the end of the day he just couldn't match his better work like Daredevil.

Hickman's run was really amazing in my opinion, specially during Infinity and with the end and Secret Wars as it felt huge.

I guess a change of pace would be expected afterwards, but if it actually feels like filler then I guess I'm better off skipping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    do you like very chill character stories y/n
    Sorry, I don't know what you mean with "chill character stories"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's a pretty standard Avengers run. Solid characterization and stories that shifts from being an adult and kids club to a normal Avengers team.

At the same time I'd say the characterization and threats were more on-point and it felt more like an Avengers book than either Bendis or Hickman did.
    So I guess I'm better off (finally) catching up with Busiek's run huh

That was the run with Ms Marvel, Nova, Falcon Cap, and Female Thor right? I didn't buy it, which was rare for me, as I typically alway buy Avengers. I thought the artwork was very bland. From what I heard from people talk, it never did anything either. Which is also sad, I like Waid too.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I would 100% agree with what you said. Waids characterization was completely on point (certainly better than Bendis or Hickmans... and for the record I like both). And his stories has more of an old school Avengers vibe.

But despite all of that, I still sort of felt it was... flat for lack of a better word. Almost a little boring. I read it waiting for SOMETHING to get be excited about that book and it never really came.

I would 100% agree with what you said. Waids characterization was completely on point (certainly better than Bendis or Hickmans... and for the record I like both). And his stories has more of an old school Avengers vibe.

But despite all of that, I still sort of felt it was... flat for lack of a better word. Almost a little boring. I read it waiting for SOMETHING to get be excited about that book and it never really came.
    I guess it's like Busiek's run if it never had the major impact of Busiek's run.

I guess it's like Busiek's run if it never had the major impact of Busiek's run.
    Busiek probably is the closest comparison I could make with Wades run... though I wouldn't say he quite captured the magic that Busiek did (IMO of course).

I read the first 2 issues and......wow......I thought CM Punk wrote it.