Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It wasn't cancelled - it was retooled due to the launch of Champions and Iron Man being taken off the board in Civil War II. And the second half wasn't actually cancelled either, No Surrender was planned as the finale.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It was ok. I did really like his second line-up and wish they had stayed together longer.
    It had some fun moments, but wasnt a particularly memorable run.
    Miles better than Aaron's run, thought.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I've read four Avengers run so far in completion or bits and pieces: Bendis, Hickman, Waid, and Aaron. All in all, Waid is the best of the bunch. Its the most traditional and normal Avengers book I read, but it's really nice and relaxing and its great to read something that isn't always trying to defend itself as the next epic or WORLD-SHATTERING. Bendis' run was boring and the dialogue obnoxious. Hickman's is epic in scope with an elaborate plot, but due to Marvel editors, its pretty watered down and it lacks soul and heart with little in the way of characterization to make you feel for anyone. Aaron is constantly trying to up the stakes it feels with making everything big and epic, but its kind of dull in that way with characters that leave little impression and constant retconning to make things his own (She-Hulk being the absolute worst thing about his run).

I would say Waid's run is almost too traditional in that regard with it being more lowkey, but honestly... its nice to have something like that every once in a while. It always feels like the world is going to collapse any second or something big is happening, so something more small scale is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And Janet definitely SHOULD care, considering that her civilian career at the time was fashion designer (in fact, that was her main career until Secret Wars - when Hank died in Rage of Ultron she inherited Pym Labs, so now she's mostly managing the two companies instead of actually designing stuff). She should've been upset that her looks were ruined.
    Ah but she did care. In exactly one panel. See Spider-Man Team-Up issue 4 from 1996. WRITTEN by none other than George Perez, a little over a year before he would relaunch the Avengers title as artist with Kurt Busiek scripting.

I found the issue to be extremely well done. By far the best of any post-Crossing/pre-Reborn Avengers story (granted there only roughly six months worth).

When they finally get to this era in the Avengers Epic Collections, they had better include this story!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

And Janet definitely SHOULD care, considering that her civilian career at the time was fashion designer (in fact, that was her main career until Secret Wars - when Hank died in Rage of Ultron she inherited Pym Labs, so now she's mostly managing the two companies instead of actually designing stuff). She should've been upset that her looks were ruined.
    I know, right?! From my perspective, that was totally OOC!

Unlike the old days, where Shooter ran a tight ship...

So I read somewhere that while the rest of the run is weak, No Surrender is pretty great; is there any truth to this?

Al Ewing was involved which is quite often a very good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
    So I read somewhere that while the rest of the run is weak, No Surrender is pretty great; is there any truth to this?

Al Ewing was involved which is quite often a very good sign.
    I thought No Surrender and it's follow up No Road were both good stories. It's a nice streamlined old school Avengers event story without the gazillion moving parts an event like Empyre has. I hope they do more of those.

Extraordinary Member

I recall that she had lost all her money back then, because Evil-Immortis-controlled-Tony Stark had bankrupted her.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I thought No Surrender and it's follow up No Road were both good stories. It's a nice streamlined old school Avengers event story without the gazillion moving parts an event like Empyre has. I hope they do more of those.
    I liked No Surrender as well. I like the idea of having an event sticking with one title, and one writer.

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    I liked No Surrender as well. I like the idea of having an event sticking with one title, and one writer.
    But there were 3 Writers on No Surrender (and No road Home).

Both those stories are well worth reading.

The rest of Waid’s Avengers work is very mediocre.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”