View Poll Results: Who is your favorite?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apache Chief (Tye Longshadow)

13 13.68%
  • Arak

4 4.21%
  • Aztek (Nayeli Constant)

3 3.16%
  • Black Condor (John Trujillo)

1 1.05%
  • Black Condor (Ryan Kendall)

2 2.11%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

25 26.32%
  • Dawnstar

18 18.95%
  • El Dorado (Eduardo Dorado Jr)

0 0%
  • Equinox (Miiyahbin Marten)

0 0%
  • Godspeed (August Heart)

2 2.11%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

21 22.11%
  • Owlwoman (Wenonah Littlebird)

0 0%
  • Rainmaker (Sarah Rainmaker)

3 3.16%
  • Ya’Wara

1 1.05%
  • Other

2 2.11%
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Are too many of DC's indigenous characters in the "magical Native American" category?
    Yeah, I don't like it either. Dawnstar wasn't like that before the new legion book and she got "spirit wings" along with the face paint (I really don't like Bendis's legion). Its like making a native character magical is the only thing they know what to do with them. Almost like black characters with electric powers, sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Yeah, I don't like it either. Dawnstar wasn't like that before the new legion book and she got "spirit wings" along with the face paint (I really don't like Bendis's legion). Its like making a native character magical is the only thing they know what to do with them.
    I don't understand why they don't just say she's a photokinetic. No one in the Legion has that power as far as I can tell and it matches her name.

Almost like black characters with electric powers, sort of.
    At least electric black doesn't have any racial stereotypes attached to it. Much of the time, it's just writers homaging Black Lightning or Storm.

Extraordinary Member

I know race changing to longtime characters is frown upon by fans. Examples: Dick Grayson being Romani from his grandfather, Selina Kyle being half-Cuban from her mom, Kyle Rayner is Mexican from his father. Even though those work for me.

But I think in Arsenal, Roy Harper’s case, having him come from Navajo ancestry on his mother’s side could work.

In 80 years Roy’s mom is never used. And it works out better that for his canon origin when Roy’s Park ranger father dies, he’s raised by the Navajo tribe, but now with a better reason.

Sure in 1940, writers weren’t going to have Roy be half Navajo, but in 2020 is it really unusual to say Roy has Native American heritage from his mother’s side.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 12-01-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I know race changing to longtime characters is frown upon by fans. Examples: Dick Grayson being Romani from his grandfather, Selina Kyle being half-Cuban from her mom, Kyle Rayner is Mexican from his father. Even though those work for me.

But I think in Arsenal, Roy Harper’s case, having him come from Navajo ancestry on his mother’s side could work.

In 80 years Roy’s mom is never used. And it works out better that for his canon origin when Roy’s Park ranger father dies, he’s raised by the Navajo tribe, but now with a better reason.

Sure in 1940, writers weren’t going to have Roy be half Navajo, but in 2020 is it really unusual to say Roy has Native American heritage from his mother’s side.
    On the other thread about indigenous characters, one poster mentioned rumors that Devin Grayson wanted to retcon Roy into being half-Navajo on his mother's side. I don't know how that would have worked if Roy was still drawn as a white redhead.

A Navajo Roy Harper is something I've been interested in for a while now. I plan to portray him as such in my own DC continuity. It wouldn't quite make sense in the main DCU but I suppose elseworlds and adaptations could give it a try. If they pair him off with (a less evil) Cheshire we might have one of DC's few interracial relationship where neither party is white.

Race lifting is something I take on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

I was happy that Jaime was included in the Titans splash page in Death Metal: The Last Stories of the DCU since the character has been rarely used in recent years. Turns out his placement on the page means he's pretty much cut out of the picture. The kid can't catch a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I was happy that Jaime was included in the Titans splash page in Death Metal: The Last Stories of the DCU since the character has been rarely used in recent years. Turns out his placement on the page means he's pretty much cut out of the picture. The kid can't catch a break.

Oh wow, that's...that's terrible .

My boy just can’t catch a break can he? Lol Poor Jaime, DC needs to do something with him already, an animated series, a live action show or movie on top of a solo comic and/or team membership somewhere

Is Keli Quintela aka Teen Lantern Native American too? She’s from Bolivia and they’re majority Indigenous or Mestizo.

Ultimate Member

Looks like that page fold cut off Risk's head, too. Which was about the only part left that *hadn't* been cut off already...

I’m a total broken record but it blows my mind that DC hardly ever uses Jaime. He’s their most well know Hispanic character and maybe the most well know Hispanic character in comics. It would be like if they were making a concerted effort to bury John Stewart and Black Lightning. They really don’t understand how important representation is to POC. I was hoping he would at least get one line of dialogue in the very Titans focused Death Metal: Last Stories of the DCU. Nope.

As the major plans for the March relaunch are revealed, it’s starting to looks as if DC is keeping their “one Latino character at a time” tradition going. I was worried that with Yara Flor’s arrival we would see far less of Jessica Cruz and Jaime Reyes, Vibe, etc. would be forgotten altogether.

Not many brown faces in these promo images.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Once again freakin Roundhouse will be appearing in more monthly comics than Blue Beetle, Vibe, Sideways, and Aquagirl.

Extraordinary Member

This is what i was talking about before.
    Now here wonder woman yara flor looks racially Asiatic not brown.
    She looks like those native americans that are racially east asian,not intermediate (brown)like the actor who plays moonstar in the new mutants movie.

I knew they were going change the racial look before the book comes out.
    The question is will the artists stick to this look or will they will go back and forth and what will her real racial look be like in her book.
    They need to make up thier minds and stop confusing folks.

Extraordinary Member

As the major plans for the March relaunch are revealed, it’s starting to looks as if DC is keeping their “one Latino character at a time” tradition going. I was worried that with Yara Flor’s arrival we would see far less of Jessica Cruz and Jaime Reyes, Vibe, etc. would be forgotten altogether.

Not many brown faces in these promo images.

Nope,not one in recent images that came out this week.
    If you talking about this week or images that came out yesterday.
    There are some asiatics and blacks superheroes/heroes in the images like nubia,john stewart etc..
    In fact i don't see any brown race types in the promo images and they change yara race again.
    If they would have keep the recent images of Yara she would have been the only brown race type there.
    You can say there are two latinos or half latinos in promo images by the way.
    Yara who is half latino and kendra who is half latino as well.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-17-2020 at 11:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Is Keli Quintela aka Teen Lantern Native American too? She’s from Bolivia and they’re majority Indigenous or Mestizo.
    Teen lantern looks black to me but i am not sure if she is black latino or black native american.
    I think she is black latino.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    She is more than likely a brown-skinned Indigenous latina character.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer