View Poll Results: Who is your favorite?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apache Chief (Tye Longshadow)

13 13.68%
  • Arak

4 4.21%
  • Aztek (Nayeli Constant)

3 3.16%
  • Black Condor (John Trujillo)

1 1.05%
  • Black Condor (Ryan Kendall)

2 2.11%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

25 26.32%
  • Dawnstar

18 18.95%
  • El Dorado (Eduardo Dorado Jr)

0 0%
  • Equinox (Miiyahbin Marten)

0 0%
  • Godspeed (August Heart)

2 2.11%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

21 22.11%
  • Owlwoman (Wenonah Littlebird)

0 0%
  • Rainmaker (Sarah Rainmaker)

3 3.16%
  • Ya’Wara

1 1.05%
  • Other

2 2.11%
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't see any sense in Atlantis using Mayan culture when you can just have Mayans with Mayan culture. How is that a parallel to Wakanda?
    Does Marvel have a Mayan property?

The idea of a hidden, powerful, non-White culture doesn't sound like Wakanda to you?

Also the original White Tiger's powers come from Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Does Marvel have a Mayan property?
    No and neither does DC. Painting Mayan trappings over tge mostly white Atlantis is a profoundly offensive idea.

The idea of a hidden, powerful, non-White culture doesn't sound like Wakanda to you?
    Again, Atlantis isn't non-white.

Also the original White Tiger's powers come from Asia.
    Yeah I know that.

BANNED

No and neither does DC. Painting Mayan trappings over tge mostly white Atlantis is a profoundly offensive idea.

Yeah I know that.
    It would be non-white if it were based on Indigenous American civilizations.

Can you explain why it would be "profoundly offensive" and to whom?

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    It would be non-white if it were based on Indigenous American civilizations.

Can you explain why it would be "profoundly offensive" and to whom?
    That is not the culture Atlantis is based on. Again, it would make more sense to just use actual Mayans.

It would be offensive to anyone of American Indigenous descent. Ever heard of cultural appropriation? That's what you're suggesting DC do for Atlantis which is a mostly white civilisation.

BANNED

That is not the culture Atlantis is based on. Again, it would make more sense to just use actual Mayans.

It would be offensive to anyone of American Indigenous descent. Ever heard of cultural appropriation? That's what you're suggesting DC do for Atlantis which is a mostly white civilisation.
    Atlantis myths are not just documented from Rome or Greece, but also in Central/South America (Mu) and India (Lemuria), among other places, I'm sure.

Atlantis was not European, only described by them, so it opens itself up to interpretation. Last I checked, Marvel's Atlantis does not have the same races as the surface world.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-14-2021 at 09:50 AM.

BANNED

"Mu is a legendary lost continent. The term was introduced by Augustus Le Plongeon, who used the "Land of Mu" as an alternative name for Atlantis. It was subsequently popularized as an alternative term for the hypothetical land of Lemuria by James Churchward, who asserted that Mu was located in the Pacific Ocean before its destruction.[1] Archaeologists assign assertions about Mu to the category of pseudoarchaeology. The place of Mu in literature has been discussed in detail in Lost Continents (1954) by L. Sprague de Camp."

"The mythical idea of the "Land of Mu" first appeared in the works of the British-American antiquarian Augustus Le Plongeon (1825–1908), after his investigations of the Maya ruins in Yucatán.[6] He claimed that he had translated the first copies of the Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the K'iche' from the ancient Mayan using Spanish.[7] He claimed the civilization of Yucatán was older than those of Greece and Egypt, and told the story of an even older continent."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_(my...ost_continent)

Yeah I know that.
    Well DC has Blue Beetle, who has some Mayan connections thanks to the New 52. One of his villains is even a Mayan warrior and the first earthling to wear the scarab. There’s also Ácrata (Andrea Rojas), though to be fair DC has more Aztec influenced characters (Aztek, El Dorado...etc)

And no I don’t think it’s offensive at all. In fact I wish DC made Atlantis Polynesian instead of making Arthur an Islander through his father, but whatever.

As for Marvel, I think the idea of Mayans and Indigenous people finally getting some real representation on screen is a good thing! We haven’t seen that since the Twilight series. So I say, bring on the Mayans! And congrats to Tenoch Huerta, let’s hope Marvel does more with him than DC did with Jay Hernandez (the most prolific Latino/Mestizo in the DCEU).

Extraordinary Member

She looks Afro-Latina to me.
    Getting back to this.
    I think is a black latino as well.

Extraordinary Member

DCEU Casts Its First Latina Supergirl to Debut in The Flash Film

The Young and the Restless star Sasha Calle will play Supergirl in the upcoming DC Extended Universe Flash solo film.
    https://www.cbr.com/dceu-supergirl-flash-sasha-calle/

Sasha Calle Cast as DC Universe's First-Ever Latina Supergirl: Watch Her Emotional Reaction
    https://people.com/movies/sasha-call...dy-muschietti/
    Last edited by mace11; 03-12-2021 at 07:05 PM.

BANNED

I wonder if she'll look like Kara or Cir.

Yara Flor and Brazilian representation in American comics by Guilherme Preusse.

The character may have been created to please the international market, but her current depiction in comics is not. She’s still very much aimed at the predominantly White public who have access to the comic book Direct Market. If that’s the case, does it even matter that she doesn’t speak in a way that’s convincing to me? Is the fact that she just exists and girls are going to be able to identify with her enough to make it worth it that her identity and ethnicity are only being played for cheap aesthetics? Is having an Indigenous Brazilian Wonder Woman worth it when she sounds exactly like every other White character out there? There is a disconnect between who this character is and who she should be, and it’s reflected in who she’s primarily aimed at.

When the first issue dropped people, namely People of Color, started realizing she sounded off, not even close to resembling the ethnicity the character should be conveying. The readers, Indigenous people specifically, started asking Jones if Yara really was supposed to be Indigenous. Her answer was that she was shocked that the character hadn’t resonated with them like she thought it would, especially considering the way she had been received at first and how she was being praised —by White people who had no idea what she should sound like anyway— and that they should wait for her origin to be revealed, where everything would be explained. If the character was so dependent on her origin, why didn’t it start there?
    https://comfortfoodcomics.com/2021/0...herme-preusse/
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-24-2021 at 09:09 AM.

I’m curious about who they will cast as Jaime Reyes and Jessica Cruz. Hopefully they get noticeably Mestizo, darker complected actors. Xolo Maridueña and Stephanie Sigman to give a better idea of what I’m talking about

Ultimate Member

How many prominent Native American DC heroes are there? What about mestizo/Metis? (not sure if mestizo is an appropriate term). I've mostly read the main JL heroes but I want to check out and support more non-white heroes and I know Native American characters aren't always as visible as they should be.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I’m curious about who they will cast as Jaime Reyes and Jessica Cruz. Hopefully they get noticeably Mestizo, darker complected actors. Xolo Maridueña and Stephanie Sigman to give a better idea of what I’m talking about
    It’s rumored they’re already getting the guy playing the lead Miguel in Cobra Kai for Jaime Reyes. So you’re probably right about Xolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How many prominent Native American DC heroes are there?
    Closest ones I can think of are Tye Longshadow on Young Justice season 2 and Aquaman's Inuit son Koryak who hasn't been seen since his death in the 2000s.