View Poll Results: Who is your favorite?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apache Chief (Tye Longshadow)

13 13.68%
  • Arak

4 4.21%
  • Aztek (Nayeli Constant)

3 3.16%
  • Black Condor (John Trujillo)

1 1.05%
  • Black Condor (Ryan Kendall)

2 2.11%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

25 26.32%
  • Dawnstar

18 18.95%
  • El Dorado (Eduardo Dorado Jr)

0 0%
  • Equinox (Miiyahbin Marten)

0 0%
  • Godspeed (August Heart)

2 2.11%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

21 22.11%
  • Owlwoman (Wenonah Littlebird)

0 0%
  • Rainmaker (Sarah Rainmaker)

3 3.16%
  • Ya’Wara

1 1.05%
  • Other

2 2.11%
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Benjamin Bratt will be in upcoming dc vertigo show dmz.

DMZ (2020)
    A civil war breaks out in a futuristic America and Manhattan becomes a demilitarized zone.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11057226/

Note- the last time he was in dc live action was in the catwoman movie.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-17-2020 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Keep in mind they never officially said in the websites like cbr etc.. she was native american.
    They always said she was from Brazil.
    WE did not know her ethnic background yet in comics but this recent news gave some more info saying she will be latino in the show.
    I don't think the character ethnically would be different in comics.
    So the character will be latino in the comics as well.

I don't think it will be godspeed thing.
    Having him brown in the comics but in the cw live action pre-crisis flash show he was native american.
    Post crisis godspeed in the upcoming season/s of the flash show could be latino instead by the way like the comics.
    Yara is Indigenous. Her creator based her on an Indigenous Brazilian model and you can even see the Native American face paint on Yara’s face in her latest Wonder Girl costume. On Twitter Joelle Jones also confirmed she’ll have strong ties to Brazilian folklore (Indigenous legends). Also Yara is apparently a semi-god, as her father is a Brazilian rain god!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Yara is Indigenous. Her creator based her on an Indigenous Brazilian model and you can even see the Native American face paint on Yara’s face in her latest Wonder Girl costume. On Twitter Joelle Jones also confirmed she’ll have strong ties to Brazilian folklore (Indigenous legends). Also Yara is apparently a semi-god, as her father is a Brazilian rain god!
    But does it says she is actually ethnically indigenous/native american?
    Keep in mind the model they based her looks on is racially different.
    The model has east asian racial phenotype,east asian looking eyes etc..
    Yara does not have those facial features.

The only thing they really have in common looking at the art is almost the skin tone and that varies depending on the art i have seen so far.
    President superman(Calvin Ellis) was based on Obama but they do not look alike.
    The only thing they have in common is they are both black and they both were Presidents on thier earths.
    See my point.
    Based ON, could have varied meanings,could be misinterpreted and could be changed so we have to be careful.

He might of gotten certain ideas but that does not mean comic yara is native american.
    Even if the comic version is native american she racially does not look like the model.
    We need to wait for the story first in the comics and i could be wrong but it is most likely she is latino like the upcoming tv verison.
    We need official confirmation from dc itself (not tweets for example)for the comic version and reading the story.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-17-2020 at 04:59 PM.

That’s pretty awesome! I can’t believe how fast this character has taken off and she hasn’t even officially debuted in comics yet. I think it also shows the huge lack of indigenous and mestizo characters in pop culture. Hopefully this leads to more characters like this getting mainstream attention. Still hoping to see that HBO Max Blue Beetle show that was apparently in development. Though we haven’t heard anything about that since January.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Still hoping to see that HBO Max Blue Beetle show that was apparently in development.
    It could be a movie,show or mini series.
    I guess we will find out if it happens at all.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-17-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member

By the way there is already some confusion i seen online with her character when to comes to her ethnic background for the new character and that should not happen.
    I heard someone said they thought she was native american in comics,then the report says she is latino in the show?
    For a new character that is being shown early next year and will be shown in live action fast there needs or should be ethnic consistently but if there is none then dc wants it both ways.
    If she is native american in comics then she should be native american in the show and it if turns out she is really latino in the comics then dc live action did the right thing.

Another thing i just thought of and i have been saying in past posts.
    Maybe the tv show report saying she is just latino or only latino is false or maybe she only identifys with her latino side in the show at first or the beginning of the show.

In the report for the show it does say she is half Brazilian god.
    That means she is ethnically half native american anyway.
    She will be like echo in marvel comics who will be showing up in mcu show hawkeye.
    I think in show like comics she may think she is just ethnically latino and it does say in the show she finds out who she really is when she gets to the u.s.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-17-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Yara is an Indigenous Latina. Basically trying to apply US racial categories to Latin Americans has left a lot of confusion as now a lot of people treat Latino as a race (even Latinos themselves). Basically a Latino can be any race, and if we apply that one drop rule from USA, most Latinos would be Native Americans racially (from Michael Peña to Eva Longoria to Benjamin Bratt to Jay Hernandez...etc).

Extraordinary Member

Yara is an Indigenous Latina.
    Yeah i just mention that in my recent post and edited some views above.
    I still use the word native american more so then Indigenous but that's me.
    She would really be ethnically half latino/half native american in the show and comics.
    The confusion is the media is only talking about her latino side for the show and for comics is still not clear for alot folks but it would be the same thing if she is half Brazilian god and half latino who happens to be half amazonian anyway like the upcoming tv version.
    That's why online there is alot of confusion from folks reading reports about the comics version and upcoming live action tv version.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-18-2020 at 12:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

and if we apply that one drop rule from USA, most Latinos would be Native Americans racially (from Michael Peña to Eva Longoria to Benjamin Bratt to Jay Hernandez...etc).
    There is controversy i have seen online with this view because there are those and reports saying most latinos are still white.
    For example argentina,chile and brazil have large white latino populations.

So does the u.s. and most latinos are classified as white in america anyway in the real world or our universe(but not in u.s. comics that are alternate universes).
    There are folks who include Spaniards of spain as latino as well.

I am not saying it's right or wrong but they are included sometimes as well.
    Especially in u.s parades or some parades called Hispanic.

The difference by way when it comes to to eva longoria,jay hernandez,pena etc.. is that they do not identify ethnically and culturally as half native american like echo and silverclaw from marvel comics.

Yara really is recently part native american god but maybe not culturally at least for the tv side.
    That is the reason why she called only latino.

I am not sure about the comics yet but rethinking this too this could be the case like the tv version and for comics she may just be known as only latino because that's what she may identify as only even if she is part Brazilian god.
    So you have to be prepared for that too and wait how the comics do the yara version.

Anyway officially so far she is known as only latino for the tv show(this could change down the road) and the comic book version is not clear yet but ethnically she could just be known as only latino in comicbook version as well or both native american and latino.
    I have funny feeling the comicbook version would be like tv one ethnically(latino only) but we will have to wait and see.

Benjamm bratt identifys as latino?
    Is there a source saying he is latino or latino too because i can't find one.
    When looking online and reading his bio it says he is only native american.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-17-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Benjamin Bratt is half Peruvian (Quechua descent).

Anyway I’m glad Yara is getting a chance to shine, wonder who they’ll cast! Hope it’s accurate racially
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member

Edited above.
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Benjamin Bratt is half Peruvian (Quechua descent).
    Does he identify partly as latino?
    Culturally and ethnically i mean.

Jessica Cruz is getting a YA graphic novel! Sounds interesting! It’ll explore some of the Aztec gods and in the artwork revealed so far, Jessica has a very pronounced Indigenous look (looks Aztec). Pretty cool if you ask me!

Jessica Cruz is getting a YA graphic novel! Sounds interesting! It’ll explore some of the Aztec gods and in the artwork revealed so far, Jessica has a very pronounced Indigenous look (looks Aztec). Pretty cool if you ask me!
    Would you happen to have a link or image?

Using Aztec gods is a surprising choice. I'd have thought they would save that for either an indigenous WW character or Aztek.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Would you happen to have a link or image?

Using Aztec gods is a surprising choice. I'd have thought they would save that for either an indigenous WW character or Aztek.
    https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...illiam-rivera/

Here you go. So Jaime has Mayan connections (Skywitness) and Jessica has Aztec (graphic novel). Good to know

Extraordinary Member

Thomas Kalmaku (Inuit)
    Tom "Pieface" Kalmaku is a flight mechanic working at Ferris Aircraft, the assistant to pilot Hal Jordan and confidante to Jordan's alter-ego Green Lantern. Having discovered Hal's Power Battery, he is the first one to learn of his double-identity and often covers for him at work and with others. Tom later becomes a businessman, and is married to his wife Tegra with two children Keith and Kari. During Millennium he became a member of the New Guardians. He's been offered a power ring himself but has declined. Pieface was created by John Broome and Gil Kane, first appearing in Green Lantern (Volume 2) #2. (1960)
    Powers
    Former Powers: Thomas Kalmaku was enhanced by the Guardians and given the power to "bring out the best in people." After he left the New Guardians he showed no further signs of any powers.
    Thomas Kalmaku (Green Lantern Movie)
    Tom Kalmaku was potrayed by Taika Waititi.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Tom_Kalmaku

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Thomas_Ka...Lantern_Movie)
    Last edited by mace11; 11-26-2020 at 05:31 AM.