View Poll Results: Who is your favorite?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apache Chief (Tye Longshadow)

13 13.68%
  • Arak

4 4.21%
  • Aztek (Nayeli Constant)

3 3.16%
  • Black Condor (John Trujillo)

1 1.05%
  • Black Condor (Ryan Kendall)

2 2.11%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

25 26.32%
  • Dawnstar

18 18.95%
  • El Dorado (Eduardo Dorado Jr)

0 0%
  • Equinox (Miiyahbin Marten)

0 0%
  • Godspeed (August Heart)

2 2.11%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

21 22.11%
  • Owlwoman (Wenonah Littlebird)

0 0%
  • Rainmaker (Sarah Rainmaker)

3 3.16%
  • Ya’Wara

1 1.05%
  • Other

2 2.11%
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Thought I'd ask this here, but does anyone know where the Asian/Pacific Islander/Asian Diaspora Appreciation Thread is?

Not sure if it got restarted with the 2021 Appreciation Thread purge or not.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ans-of-the-DCU

It’s still around. The thread is about to turn 5 years old next month, along with the Latino thread.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ans-of-the-DCU

It’s still around. The thread is about to turn 5 years old next month, along with the Latino thread.
    Thanks for finding it!

Astonishing Member

My apologies if this isn't the accurate thread for this, but I wanted to post this here, too.

https://lucianovecchio.tumblr.com/po...e*********-era

Luciano Vecchio's name just came back into mind (love this guy's art and art style/art aesthetic; he's very into mysticism and mindscape type stuff), and happened upon this commission he posted at the end of last year.

VIBE!
    From 1980s Justice League Detroit era.

Digital Commission
    #Vibe #JusticeLeague #JLA #DCComics

I flipping love this! Luciano Vecchio proved that old-school Vibe's design was strong, cool, and slick. Frankly, I've always been of the mind that Detroit's Vibe isn't anywhere close to the ever so conveniently used object of scorn and ridicule that he has been treated as being. People have always been far too quick and gleeful to take advantage and dump on OG Vibe. And as far as I'm concerned, that Vibe deserved vindication and appreciation. I'm always for vindication by history in ways such as this!

Thinking about, I think Vibe belongs here too. He’s Puerto Rican and Colombian, so obviously he has Native heritage (Taino and likely Quimbaya). He’s for sure Mestizo

Also that’s some cool art of him!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Getting back to this.
    I think is a black latino as well.
    Here is a update on my view.
    Looking at more art and her family and folks that live near her family etc. teen lantern is meant to be brown/is brown.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-10-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Hopefully Yara Flor isn’t the only new Native character we get!

On a side note, Jaime and El Dorado (a part of the Suicide Squad) are a part of the Round Robin going on on DC’s social media!

Pretty good article about the severe lack of Latino representation in comics (from Teen Vogue of all places).

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/lati...on-comic-books

“Rarely would we find characters acquire mainstream success that are connected to their heritage, nationalism, and respective mythologies,” Edgardo Miranda-Rodriguez, a graphic novelist and the creator of La Borinqueña, tells Teen Vogue. “Combined there are possibly close to 30,000 characters, heroes, and villains, at both Marvel and DC. Of that, there probably are about 3% that are Latinx.”

“Anything less than reflection of Latino superheroes and supervillains is just [a] reflection of a reality that doesn't exist,” Delfi explains, noting that the Latinx population is one of the most rapidly growing groups. “If your superhero team is seven people strong, and you have maybe one black person and one ethnically coded person, like what universe are you existing in that there's no Latinos?”

It seems like over the last 15 to 20 years, DC has been saying “diversity is so important to us” but it’s 2021 and they still seem to have a one Latino at a time rule.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-27-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Pretty good article about the severe lack of Latino representation in comics (from Teen Vogue of all places).

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/lati...on-comic-books

“Rarely would we find characters acquire mainstream success that are connected to their heritage, nationalism, and respective mythologies,” Edgardo Miranda-Rodriguez, a graphic novelist and the creator of La Borinqueña, tells Teen Vogue. “Combined there are possibly close to 30,000 characters, heroes, and villains, at both Marvel and DC. Of that, there probably are about 3% that are Latinx.”

“Anything less than reflection of Latino superheroes and supervillains is just [a] reflection of a reality that doesn't exist,” Delfi explains, noting that the Latinx population is one of the most rapidly growing groups. “If your superhero team is seven people strong, and you have maybe one black person and one ethnically coded person, like what universe are you existing in that there's no Latinos?”

It seems like over the last 15 to 20 years, DC has been saying “diversity is so important to us” but it’s 2021 and they still seem to have a one Latino at a time rule.
    I’m not just talking about DC here, but I’m surprised there’s not more of a full Latino comics initiative, like Milestone was.

DC though will more than likely have a Latino Special in September. Similar to the upcoming Asian and Pride specials

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’m not just talking about DC here, but I’m surprised there’s not more of a full Latino comics initiative, like Milestone was.

DC though will more than likely have a Latino Special in September. Similar to the upcoming Asian and Pride specials
    I think a lot of the underrepresentation has to do with the fact that Latino isn’t a race. I mean Afro Latinos fit in with Black Americans, White Latinos fit in with White Americans and it seems like most Mestizo Latinos (the biggest grouping) consider themselves White, ironically. That just leaves the Native Latinos, and unfortunately Native Americans are underrepresented in general.

Though DC did just cast two Latinas in prominent roles and has Jaime and Jessica coming up! Comics wise though, there’s only Yara. Even Jessica is missing lately

Ultimate Member

I think a lot of the underrepresentation has to do with the fact that Latino isn’t a race. I mean Afro Latinos fit in with Black Americans, White Latinos fit in with White Americans and it seems like most Mestizo Latinos (the biggest grouping) consider themselves White, ironically. That just leaves the Native Latinos, and unfortunately Native Americans are underrepresented in general.

Though DC did just cast two Latinas in prominent roles and has Jaime and Jessica coming up! Comics wise though, there’s only Yara. Even Jessica is missing lately
    True. It's like calling Anglo a race. But mixed race people seem to be represented as groups of their own in Latino nations more than Anglo ones. Except for the Metis in Canada

Latino is not classified as a race but an ethnic category. I guess they could be more specific with the character’s ethnicity and culture. Jaime is considered Mexican-American. Someone like him would probably be considered “white” in Brazil perhaps, but he’s not seen as “white” in the US.

With the success of Black Panther, I’m surprised Marvel hasn’t promoted the hell out of their first Latino superhero, White Tiger. Missed opportunity.

Latino is not classified as a race but an ethnic category. I guess they could be more specific with the character’s ethnicity and culture. Jaime is considered Mexican-American. Someone like him would probably be considered “white” in Brazil perhaps, but he’s not seen as “white” in the US.

With the success of Black Panther, I’m surprised Marvel hasn’t promoted the hell out of their first Latino superhero, White Tiger. Missed opportunity.
    Teen Lantern is Latin (Bolivian). She and Jessica Cruz appear in the current run of GREEN LANTERN.

Ultimate Member

White Tiger could show up eventually.

I think the problem with the USA in that regard is the whole "one drop rule".

Nah I think someone like Jaime or Jessica would be referred to as Moreno in Spanish speaking countries and Pardo in Brazil rather than White.

Huero= Those with European features, basically light skin
    Moreno= Those with Native features, basically brown skin
    Prieto= Those with African features, basically Black in Latin America

Pardo is Brazil’s equivalent for Mestizo. Race in Latin America is complicated because of all the mixing and the caste system that was once in effect.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    White Tiger could show up eventually.

I think the problem with the USA in that regard is the whole "one drop rule".
    Yeah I agree. For instance there are a lot of Afro Latinos who don’t identify as Black because they also have European and/or Native ancestry too, so instead they just identify with their nationality or say they’re mixed. Just look at the debates Dominicans and Puerto Rican’s have with African Americans. Same goes for Mexican/Central Americans and Native Americans in the USA.

Basically comes down to one drop rule vs caste system
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!