View Poll Results: Who is your favorite?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apache Chief (Tye Longshadow)

13 13.68%
  • Arak

4 4.21%
  • Aztek (Nayeli Constant)

3 3.16%
  • Black Condor (John Trujillo)

1 1.05%
  • Black Condor (Ryan Kendall)

2 2.11%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

25 26.32%
  • Dawnstar

18 18.95%
  • El Dorado (Eduardo Dorado Jr)

0 0%
  • Equinox (Miiyahbin Marten)

0 0%
  • Godspeed (August Heart)

2 2.11%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

21 22.11%
  • Owlwoman (Wenonah Littlebird)

0 0%
  • Rainmaker (Sarah Rainmaker)

3 3.16%
  • Ya’Wara

1 1.05%
  • Other

2 2.11%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Honorable Mentions: Vertigo's Dash Bad Horse, Lincoln Red Crow and the rest of the population from the Prairie Rose Indian Reservation I miss you
    YES YES and YES....

One of the few Vertigo books I own every trade of.

I need a repackaged Apache Chief. Doesn't have to have that same name, his superhero name can be made something else, just as long as its Tye. I mentioned it in the older thread, but I've always thought they should use MK's Nightwolf as inspiration there. Make him a magic user who can use said magic in regards to his classic Superfriends mass ability, but also do some other things.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

If they're to update Apache Chief, it might be best to steer clear of giving him magic-based powers as too many American Indigenous characters in superhero works have those.

first off, great thread! I love these ethnocentric threads because it makes it so much easier to find these lesser known, lesser used, characters.

I picked Dawnstar, besides her being one of the earliest characters I saw but didn't know was a DC character, I love when these "alien"/otherworldly cultures don't "just so happen" to resemble eurocentric earth ones in concept; a planet colonized by Native Americans is pretty interesting idea to me. I would love to see more of that explored contemporarily and really dig into that cultural aspect.

Ya'wara I thought was pretty cool too, my headcanon further is she's like the "Aquaman" of the Amazon. unfortunately she's such a minor character. Obviously Blue Beetle is an amazing character as well, probably the biggest culturally informed Native/Latinx character DC has. most of DC's biggest heroes of color are what I call "incidentally ethnic" where their ethnicity is superficial and doesn't really inform their character all that much (I love Godspeed but he falls in this catergory)and while that may not always be detrimental to the characters, I like that Jamie doesn't have that problem.

I've been meaning to check out Aztek and Black Condor. I should add that to my to-do list.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

There is certainly room for exploring how one's cultural and racial background affects their everyday lives. Of course, a poc character whose story doesn't necessarily revolve around that is equally valid and no two people from the same background will be entirely alike. Having such a character can normalize diversity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Oh El Diablo! Hmm I wasn’t sure if he counted or not. From how artist would draw him, he just seemed Spanish
    Have you opened the book?
    He's drawn the same as the other locals.

and his mythology was more European inspired than Native
    His "Mythology"? He took his name and theme from a local fighter and local dia de los Muertos theme and local legends. The visual of his costume with the pattern and bolo style, has an implicitly tex-mex visual. , and takes elements from the chicano and Mexican-American workers flag - https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hNuX1J5TV...UFW%2BFlag.jpg
    Not European myth or theme at all, not sure where you came up with that?
    Or rather why must he be either "European or Native" , the whole point is as mestizo he would be a mixture of both.

And that term is just so loaded.

He’s Puerto Rican .
    No he's Mexican-American, from Texas,
    Local born hero, turned boxer, turned Attorney, turned DA and City Councilman, moonlights as masked vigilante hero. All in his Texas home town where he gr up.
    That's the point of the character.

Last edited by Güicho; 08-11-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There is certainly room for exploring how one's cultural and racial background affects their everyday lives. Of course, a poc character whose story doesn't necessarily revolve around that is equally valid and no two people from the same background will be entirely alike. Having such a character can normalize diversity as well.
    According to some that are suppose to be the same.

Funny the ones who don't revolve around their background are the main ones who are missing or underwritten.

I've been meaning to check out Aztek and Black Condor. I should add that to my to-do list.
    One of the stores I go to had both of those runs for a dollar each. I was waiting for the 50 cent sale that happens at Free Comic book day. That never happened and the dollar books are mia there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Have you opened the book?
    He's drawn the same as all the other locals.

No, his "Mythology" He took his name and theme from a local wrestler. The visual of his costume with the pattern and bolo style, has a tex-mex visual.
    And why must he be either "European or Native" , the whole point is as mestizo he would be a mixture of both.
    And that term is just as loaded.

No he's Mexican-American, from Texas.
    Well I guess I was vastly misinformed. My bad. I’ll add him to the list, though I doubt we’ll ever see him again thanks to the existence of the Chato Santana version.

William "Willpower" Twotrees

willpower.jpg

Love that you included the Latino characters! Often times their Nativeness for lack of a better term, is overlooked because of their ethnicity. Anyway I like a lot of these characters!

1) Blue Beetle
    2) Dawnstar
    3 Jessica Cruz
    4) Black Condor (John)
    5) Sarah Rainmaker

Those are my tip 5!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Hal Jordan's old sidekick Tom Kalmaku, was an Eskimo; I don't know if it was ever revealed whether he was Innuit or Tlingit.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Arak Wind-Walker some relation to Arak, Son of Thunder and Flying Fox with wind powers.

Black Bison I of the old west

Black Condor I of the old west who encountered Jonah Hex.

Butcher (John Butcher) an ally of Green Arrow.

Chad Solomon Kiyahani a Human Defense Corps member and grandson of Little Sure Shot (Louis Kiyahani) of Sgt. Rock's Easy Company.

Chindi (Russell Wolf) an ally of Steel (John Henry Irons).

Comanche of StormWatch who can shapeshift into any animal.

Dark-Crow (Daniel Crow-Brings-Darkness) an ally of the Justice League.

Johnny Cloud I a member of the Losers of World War II.

Johnny Cloud II is the grandson of Johnny Cloud of the Losers of World War II. A member of the Veteran's team an ally of Robin (Tim Drake)

Kishana Lewis is a friend of the Martian Manhunter an ally of the Justice League.