View Poll Results: Who is your favorite?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apache Chief (Tye Longshadow)

13 13.68%
  • Arak

4 4.21%
  • Aztek (Nayeli Constant)

3 3.16%
  • Black Condor (John Trujillo)

1 1.05%
  • Black Condor (Ryan Kendall)

2 2.11%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

25 26.32%
  • Dawnstar

18 18.95%
  • El Dorado (Eduardo Dorado Jr)

0 0%
  • Equinox (Miiyahbin Marten)

0 0%
  • Godspeed (August Heart)

2 2.11%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

21 22.11%
  • Owlwoman (Wenonah Littlebird)

0 0%
  • Rainmaker (Sarah Rainmaker)

3 3.16%
  • Ya’Wara

1 1.05%
  • Other

2 2.11%
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Is Bea Da Costa mestizo? I frequently see her listed under DC's women of color characters.
    Depends on who draws her, or what direction DC takes her in. Originally she was White, but recently they’ve made her Brown, or at least fan art has. In live action she’s been Afro Latina and White, so I don’t think she’s a Mestiza.

Jessica Cruz gets my vote, although Jaime Reyes is a close second.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Is Bea Da Costa mestizo? I frequently see her listed under DC's women of color characters.
    She's from Brasil and with the name Da Costa, I would think she has at least some Portuguese heritage. Beyond that I can't say...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    She's from Brasil and with the name Da Costa, I would think she has at least some Portuguese heritage. Beyond that I can't say...
    I think it would depend on what part of Brazil she’s from. If she’s from the North/Northeast then she’s likely Native/Mestiza. If she’s from the South then she’s likely White, if she’s from the coast then she’s likely Black.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    In Ask Greg, Greg Weisman revealed the Atom mentored Tye after YJ season 2 so I'd bring that over to the comics in a potential Tye solo comic.
    Not gonna lie, wish we coulda actually saw that. Tye was one of the two Runaways we never followed up on. I also wish the indicated closeness between Tye and Jaime was followed through with, but it petered out not long after being introduced in Season 1, and by the time it would have made sense to rekindle their bond, The chooses to peace himself out from the narrative. He isn't seen or really even mentioned again, even in the context Jaime from what I know and can recall.

So yeah. Showing the apparent bond he developed with Atom (not sure if Palmer or Captain Atom, the latter of who also vanished after Season 2) on-screen would have been nice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Instead of making the YJ superfriends teenagers, I’d make them grown adults that are Black Lightning’s age. We don’t need anymore young Native/Asian characters, we need more adult males. So Tye, Toshito (Asami to if you want to include her) and Eduardo should all be adult characters.
    Hmm. While I agree that more strong positive Native and Asian characters are needed, including positive and nuanced male representation across the board, I don't see how we can say we don't need any more young Native and Asian characters. That implies we are swimming in them, when we most certainly are not. We have Jaime who is in limbo and we have Cassandra Cain who's about to go back into limbo, and who's Asian identity generally is treated as an inconsequential visual quirk of her appearance than part of her identity.

Looking at the list of DC Native American and Asian characters, I think a much larger portion of them are adults. Besides, I don't think there should be a quota on how many young characters of color DC has. Especially when there are so few of them compared to their white counterparts to begin with.
    In agreement with this.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 08-31-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Hmm. While I agree that more strong positive Native and Asian characters are needed, including positive and nuanced male representation across the board, I don't see how we can say we don't need any more young Native and Asian characters. That implies we are swimming in them, when we most certainly are not. We have Jaime who is in limbo and we have Cassandra Cain who's about to go back into limbo, and who's Asian identity generally is treated as an inconsequential visual quirk of her appearance than part of her identity.

In agreement with this.
    I just think the JL generation needs more adult POC that are Asian and Native. The teens are somewhat well represented, though there’s still room for improvement.

Teens: Blue Beetle, Bunker, Mirage, Pantha, Rainmaker, Equinox
    Adults: Jessica Cruz, Dawnstar, Black Condor, Aztek

Off the top of my head...

Extraordinary Member

Wasn’t Katar Hol half-Native America on his mother’s side.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Wasn’t Katar Hol half-Native America on his mother’s side.
    Really? I don’t think he was. And if he was then it was probably a retcon that’s been forgotten over the years, much like Nightwing’s Romani ancestry.

Astonishing Member

I just think the JL generation needs more adult POC that are Asian and Native. The teens are somewhat well represented, though there’s still room for improvement.

Teens: Blue Beetle, Bunker, Mirage, Pantha, Rainmaker, Equinox
    Adults: Jessica Cruz, Dawnstar, Black Condor, Aztek

Off the top of my head...
    Well, thing is, of the teens you mentioned, none of them are representing anything, because none of them are being used. And the adults only have 1 more character in use than the teens do, and once Justice League: Odyssey ends and Jessica ends up sans a book, they won't have any either.

Dakota Jamison from Devin Grayson's Titans run. She was a member of the DEO.

Well, thing is, of the teens you mentioned, none of them are representing anything, because none of them are being used. And the adults only have 1 more character in use than the teens do, and once Justice League: Odyssey ends and Jessica ends up sans a book, they won't have any either.
    We’re currently in the middle of another DC implosion so I’m not surprised so many are in limbo. Hopefully they start popping up when DC recovers. Blue Beetle and Jessica seem likely to survive the implosion.

Also Dawnstar is currently active, though who knows for how much longer

Astonishing Member

We’re currently in the middle of another DC implosion so I’m not surprised so many are in limbo. Hopefully they start popping up when DC recovers. Blue Beetle and Jessica seem likely to survive the implosion.

Dawnstar is indeed active in a contemporary book. Her count slipped my mind, I admit.

Still, one and one aren't impressive numbers.

Dawnstar is indeed active in a contemporary book. Her count slipped my mind, I admit.

Still, one and one aren't impressive numbers.
    They are not, but hopefully with the bosses in charge and what seems like a bigger focus on digital and international sales means we’ll get more popping up soon.

Also Black Condor and Apache Chief can definitely use some more love, Aztek (Nayeli) too!

I do worry about what will happen after this realignment of the company. They’re going to be putting out a lot few books each month and may only be focusing on their tentpole characters. DC already has a terrible track record with their Hispanic and Native American characters. I always complain about this but Jessica has kind of become their token brown person. there may not be any room for even her in the regular monthlies when the dust settles. I think she’ll always have a place in the DC Girls line, but I’m not so sure about everything else.

Seriously can’t believe they don’t use Blue Beetle more. If he was a Marvel character he’d at least have a spot next to Kamala Khan and Miles.
    Last edited by Robotman; 09-01-2020 at 06:14 PM.