thajiveone

Default You're Killing me with the compare/contrast lists!! (5 things + and 5 things -)

Why does this site keep coming with these "articles" so freaking often? I know it's a thing and other sites do it but damn.
    Every time I scroll through news feeds there's a link to "5 things Batman does, and 5 things he doesn't". There were actually some decent ideas and topics but are diluted with the compare and contrast crap.
    Sometimes it makes sense for the topic but more often it's stupid and serves as Click Repellent.

Yes, I can scroll on without reading. I'm just about to unsubscribe and remove this website from my recommendations.
    Just expressing an opinion that my peers and I have.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thajiveone View Post
    Why does this site keep coming with these "articles" so freaking often? I know it's a thing and other sites do it but damn.
    Every time I scroll through news feeds there's a link to "5 things Batman does, and 5 things he doesn't". There were actually some decent ideas and topics but are diluted with the compare and contrast crap.
    Sometimes it makes sense for the topic but more often it's stupid and serves as Click Repellent.

Yes, I can scroll on without reading. I'm just about to unsubscribe and remove this website from my recommendations.
    Just expressing an opinion that my peers and I have.
    The site has nothing to do with the forum anymore sadly

The site was bought by Valnet, owner of ScreenRant. So they post a lot of clickbait to get eyes for ads.
    Same thing happened to Newsrama. Though they both do have straight comic book news as well.
    Not sure what sites do pure comic book news anymore?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

No one does just comic news anymore. Comics as IP are involved in tv and movies, and you’d be throwing money away to not cover the popular tv and movie versions as well.

I still check comicsbeat.com for comics centric news. They also have a very easy to click “comics” tab at the top to filter the articles. Heidi has always run a good ship, and is still doing so. It’s pretty much the only comic site I check anymore on a regular basis.

Bleedingcool still has pretty up to the minute news/gossip but the ads are out of control. They also, at least, have a comics filter, as well.

I feel like straight up comic book news sites are on their last legs.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

This is how they pay for the cost of running web sites so I put up with some of it. But just follow some of the suggestions given if you find this site too annoying. I like the forums here but mostly stay away from the front page. It's too bad because I used to read some of the regular columns like The Line is Drawn or any of Brian Cronin's features but they're not easy to find anymore. They're not click bait stuff but usually fun to read.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-01-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    No one does just comic news anymore. Comics as IP are involved in tv and movies, and you’d be throwing money away to not cover the popular tv and movie versions as well.

I still check comicsbeat.com for comics centric news. They also have a very easy to click “comics” tab at the top to filter the articles. Heidi has always run a good ship, and is still doing so. It’s pretty much the only comic site I check anymore on a regular basis.

Bleedingcool still has pretty up to the minute news/gossip but the ads are out of control. They also, at least, have a comics filter, as well.

I feel like straight up comic book news sites are on their last legs.
    I miss the days when Jonah had guys like Joe Grendel actually writing comics news.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

The main page has always been mainly dessert, while the forums were the main course.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Cant recall the last time I bothered with the main page. Also, it's 99.9% blocked at my job, so meh.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    The main page has always been mainly dessert, while the forums were the main course.
    Nah dude. Not so. Not in the early days. There were plenty of informative wells for the comics triva thirsty.

That said, I will agree with you that the forums have always been the beating heart of this website. It did, after all, begin as a Kingdom Come message board.