Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    There used to be hard fast rules of believable portrayals of "masculine" and "feminine''. Its one of the factors that turns men off with female action movies. They don't like masculine females.
    Charlies Angel's 2000 goes hard on the feminine portrayal of women. All three angels had feminine sexiness. The Charlie's Angel reboot, I think Kristen Stewart is a masculine character.
    That may be your problem. And as usual you try to sell your opinion as universal truth. There more than enough men around who like it

What really matters is how good the movie is made not how masculine or femine the roles are. And to some people it is enough to have a woman in the lead to not like a movie and make a lot of youtube videos about it to tell us.

And after all this talk about Charlie's Angel I really need to see it. Missed it in cinema but I really want to see how much truth there is to the "woke" stuff.
    But I think as usual not really much if at all.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 08-06-2020 at 11:42 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, she had short hair and seems like the aggressive type but she seemed to have a feminine sexuality to me from the trailer's I watched.
    She's like Dylan from McG's movies, sort of. She has both masculine and feminine traits and can come off as ambiguous I think. She's just more "masculine" compared to the others but she has no problems being feminine herself when she feels like it. She's a really interesting character, wish we had more films with her to explore those layers. Not that Jane Kano, her partner, didn't do masculine things herself she just did it in more feminine clothing and was more polite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I hadn't heard any of the scuttlebutt before we went to see it, and we enjoyed it. Nothing struck me as being 'woke' or 'in your face'.
    I only saw the first half of it on cable, so I will only comment on what I've seen but the opening scene has the Stewart character talking to her "mark" about how she takes advantage of men who underestimate women while wearing a long blonde wig and playing the ingenue before doffing her wig and kicking his ass. (essentially) That's not exactly subtle, but it's not so in your face and it's nothing we haven't seen before. What was in your face was the following montage that was part of the opening showing women and girls all over the world being active and taking charge, etc. like in a bad commercial for a feminine hygiene product. It was an anthem that didn't seem to have anything to do with anything in terms of story.

Other than that, when the movie actually started and it got into the main plot, it was okay but nothing special or terrible as popcorn action movies go. Again, I only saw the first half and will probably finish it when I come across it on cable again. I liked Stewart in it, fwiw - she's the "zany" one.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    That may be your problem. And as usual you try to sell your opinion as universal truth. There more than enough men around who like it

What really matters is how good the movie is made not how masculine or femine the roles are. And to some people it is enough to have a woman in the lead to not like a movie and make a lot of youtube videos about it to tell us.

And after all this talk about Charlie's Angel I really need to see it. Missed it in cinema but I really want to see how much truth there is to the "woke" stuff.
    But I think as usual not really much if at all.
    People loved Furiosa more then mad max. And she's getting her own movie, she wasn't feminine. Same goes for Captain Marvel. Only small vocal group on the internet hated her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post

I said ''I think'' to describe Kristen Stewart character since I never saw Charlie's Angels 2019, not a universal truth. she looks like a tom boy from all the clips and Kristen's beauty has obviously gotten toned down.

But I think as usual not really much if at all
    Masculinity and femininity matters to many men and women. Many writers have characters embrace the gender roles to sell a movie.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-07-2020 at 09:30 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    People loved Furiosa more then mad max. And she's getting her own movie, she wasn't feminine. Same goes for Captain Marvel. Only small vocal group on the internet hated her.
    Captain Marvel was a hard character to fall in love with and Unlike Mad Max, her movie was straight up terrible. I see the movie flopping many times over if she did not have Disney and MCU to fall back on. I doubt she has as many male fans as Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

People loved Furiosa more then mad max. And she's getting her own movie, she wasn't feminine.
    Isn't that spin off a prequel without Charlize Theron? I have a feeling Furiosa will not be nearly as bad ass without Charlize in the role.

I said ''I think'' to describe Kristen Stewart character since I never saw Charlie's Angels 2019, not a universal truth. she looks like a tom boy from all the clips and Kristen's beauty has obviously gotten toned down.

Masculinity and femininity matters to many men and women. Many writers have characters embrace the gender roles to sell a movie.
    Hard to give a solid review of a person's performance based on a trailer or two. Seeing the movie really helps.

The key thing, however, is that you started with:

"Its one of the factors that turns men off with female action movies. They don't like masculine females."

A flat out statement (not 'I think') that men don't like what you consider to be 'masculine' females.

Clearly from the responses (a) you have your own personal definition of masculine/feminine in movies that is hardly universally accepted, and (b) your tastes are not reflective of men as a whole.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not the opinion of men as a whole or even the majority of them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you consider 'masculine' and 'feminine', 'beautiful' and 'ugly' are hardly universal truths in any sense of the word.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Captain Marvel was a hard character to fall in love with and Unlike Mad Max, her movie was straight up terrible. I see the movie flopping many times over if she did not have Disney and MCU to fall back on. I doubt she has as many male fans as Wonder Woman.
    No. No. And no.

But yeah, not as many as WW. That's hardly surprising.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Captain Marvels audience was 55/45% men to women. Wonder Woman was actually more women then men like 48/52%. So there's no evidence what so ever to your statement. Just your opinion. Now personally given Wonder Woman is a more iconic character, im sure she has more male fans. But here movie demographic was more women then men. That's just in the US. If you include China where Wonder Woman didnt get released, im sure way more men saw Captain Marvel. Her being masculine didn't effect her or Furiose at all. Only angry men on the internet cared and they were an insignificant about. Ssme as the people who lambast every Disney movie. They're bark is way worse then they're bite

BANNED

Captain Marvels audience was 55/45% men to women. Wonder Woman was actually more women then men like 48/52%. So there's no evidence what so ever to your statement. Just your opinion. Now personally given Wonder Woman is a more iconic character, im sure she has more male fans. But here movie demographic was more women then men. That's just in the US. If you include China where Wonder Woman didnt get released, im sure way more men saw Captain Marvel. Her being masculine didn't effect her or Furiose at all. Only angry men on the internet cared and they were an insignificant about. Ssme as the people who lambast every Disney movie. They're bark is way worse then they're bite
    Captain Marvel had strong help from the boys. The boys who love MCU movies saw her film. Her movie could have bombed like Elektra , Charlie's Angels and Catwoman if she was not part of the MCU. Most female comic films are not good and Captain Marvel was no different.

Wonder Woman may be an iconic character but there was no safe bet her movie was going to be successful. Her movie was quite good though.
    . That's just in the US. If you include China where Wonder Woman didnt get released, im sure way more men saw Captain Marvel. Her being masculine didn't effect her or Furiose at all. Only angry men on the internet cared and they were an insignificant about. Ssme as the people who lambast every Disney movie. They're bark is way worse then they're bite
    Emma Watson's Belle from The Beauty and the Beast Live action was lovely and likeable, the movie was okay not as good as the cartoon. Brie Larson and Captain Marvel was not the best idea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Hard to give a solid review of a person's performance based on a trailer or two. Seeing the movie really helps.

The key thing, however, is that you started with:

"Its one of the factors that turns men off with female action movies. They don't like masculine females."

A flat out statement (not 'I think') that men don't like what you consider to be 'masculine' females.

Clearly from the responses (a) you have your own personal definition of masculine/feminine in movies that is hardly universally accepted, and (b) your tastes are not reflective of men as a whole.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not the opinion of men as a whole or even the majority of them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you consider 'masculine' and 'feminine', 'beautiful' and 'ugly' are hardly universal truths in any sense of the word.
    When I said ''I think'' I was talking about Stewart in Charlie's Angels. The rest was me speculating what turns men off from female action films.

There is a general conception of masculinity and femininity that plays into movies. Let's not pretend Angelina Jolie was cast as Lara Croft in the late 90s because for her acting alone. She was one of the most beautiful actresses at that time and that was a seller. She was though looking but still feminine.

Beauty is not in the eye of the beholder in movies unless you are Jennifer Lawrence painted Blue playing Mystique and even that character admitted she was not attractive to men. Have we ever seen a 200 pound woman playing an action role or acting as the love interest? 95% of every action girl I see in a female action or male action film is physically very attractive and feminine looking.

Extraordinary Member

Eh I wouldn't say those characters weren't feminine.

Invincible Member

Fury Road is really interesting concerning the male/female dynamics. Women in action movies much of the time roles are either bad asses, damsels in distress, or just sort of support roles. In FR you got all that plus matriarch characters who help drive the plot and many of these characters get to have arcs where they change or grow ( the damsels learn to take agency, the bad ass confronts her past, the matriarchs leave their isolation ). Then you get an interest view of the male characters...the lead remains the stoic hero, but the guy who was raised in a culture of toxic masculinity learns that it's ok to be vulnerable.

Invincible Member

When I said ''I think'' I was talking about Stewart in Charlie's Angels. The rest was me speculating what turns men off from female action films.

There is a general conception of masculinity and femininity that plays into movies. Let's not pretend Angelina Jolie was cast as Lara Croft in the late 90s because for her acting alone. She was one of the most beautiful actresses at that time and that was a seller. She was though looking but still feminine.

Beauty is not in the eye of the beholder in movies unless you are Jennifer Lawrence painted Blue playing Mystique and even that character admitted she was not attractive to men. Have we ever seen a 200 pound woman playing an action role or acting as the love interest? 95% of every action girl I see in a female action or male action film is physically very attractive and feminine looking.
    But people did find Jennifer Lawrence and Rebecca Romijn attractive as Mystique...