Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    While I wouldn't exactly be upset at Kill Bill 3, I feel Tarantino might officially be out of ideas.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/q...rn-1235092492/
    I'd say the opposite, he generally has the clout to come up with and see through ideas others wouldn't dare try. He might miss the mark from time to time but he's never boring and he always at least seems like he's trying to do something worthwhile (at least as he sees it), vs a billion formulaic movies and superhero GotG clones that are safe but unspectacular moneymakers. If he's going back for another sequel I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he actually has something to say. Or, he just wants to be close to Uma's feet again.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'd say the opposite, he generally has the clout to come up with and see through ideas others wouldn't dare try. He might miss the mark from time to time but he's never boring and he always at least seems like he's trying to do something worthwhile (at least as he sees it), vs a billion formulaic movies and superhero GotG clones that are safe but unspectacular moneymakers. If he's going back for another sequel I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he actually has something to say. Or, he just wants to be close to Uma's feet again.
    Sure, he's got the clout to get his ideas done the way he wants them, but judging from what's said here, it doesn't seem like he's got that many new ones. He wants to do a western comedy? He's done two already. And he wants to go back to a movie he made 20yrs that had a pretty definitive end? I mean, I'll probably go see it, but...

Having said that...I agree whatever he comes up with probably will not be boring. And more importantly, we're moving into an interesting time where the audience can buy into the idea of a 50 yr old female as a plausible action star. I'm not so sure that would have been the case back in the 80's-90's.

Amazing Member

You can chalk it up to misogyny or a failure of imagination, but I tend to have a hard time suspending belief at an action film where a female character, especially one who is waifish at best, mows through a bunch of guys and outfights everyone. Stuff like Underworld or superhero films where they are explicitly powered, or even things like Atomic Blonde which had choreography that supported it as well the actual damage being done not just being shrugged off work for me, but a general movie like Kate or Gunpowder Milkshake or that upcoming Jessica Chastain tend to be hard for me to buy into.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

This is a very simple answer (Each day I'm thankful my childhood was from the 80s)

Here are the female heroes I had growing up in the 80s and 90s

Ripley from Aliens
    Sarah Connor from Terminator
    Princess Leia from Star Wars
    Xena Warrior Princess
    Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager

Their protagonists had personality and flaws. Their creative team focused on telling a story/plot

Compare them to the Female Heroes today

- They have the personality of a rice cake with no flaws or they 'try too hard' to force feed her to the audience and it backfires
    - Their creative team focuses less on telling a good story but more about delivering a 'message'

Not many Star Wars Fans are going to say Rey is better than Princess Leia
    Not many Star Trek Fans are going to say Michael is better than Katherine
    I don't think you'll find one fan that will say Dark Fate was better than Terminator 1 and 2.

Bottom Line: Men aren't being sexist. That's today's creative team trying to play victim. The problem is they're producing absolute garbage!
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 10-20-2021 at 11:54 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tjarvis View Post
    You can chalk it up to misogyny or a failure of imagination, but I tend to have a hard time suspending belief at an action film where a female character, especially one who is waifish at best, mows through a bunch of guys and outfights everyone. Stuff like Underworld or superhero films where they are explicitly powered, or even things like Atomic Blonde which had choreography that supported it as well the actual damage being done not just being shrugged off work for me, but a general movie like Kate or Gunpowder Milkshake or that upcoming Jessica Chastain tend to be hard for me to buy into.
    If it's hand-to-hand, there should be some explanation of why her skill so outmatches large male opponents and multiple ones at that. As soon as you introduce guns I'm immediately OK with it, and if it's indirect attacks rather than brute force or martial arts I'm OK with it as well. But I find hand-to-hand or martial arts movies to be boring anyway, so I'll probably never have this problem as I'll self-select out of the audience for it.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tjarvis View Post
    I bought into it for Kate and Gunpowder Milkshake was pretty cartoony so it didn't bother me there. But yeah, when it's someone that's whatever...5'3" and 90lbs taking down someone twice her size with no effort, it can be distracting. I usually blame it on the casting director choosing someone cute rather than someone athletic.