Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Why do female driven action movies fail? From a Man's POV. What is it about female driven action, superhero or science fiction films that makes you less interested. I have some ideas that could be wrong
    They don't. Unless they are bad. And since they are rare compared to male protag action movies the bad ones that fail are more apparent. But they don't by default fail because they are female driven; be it classics like Aliens or modern examples like Wonder Woman.

Men don't find women believable as action stars
    No more or less than men.

Men fear the movie will be too much of a chick flick
    Nope

Fear of romantic male leads
    Never crossed my mind.

Unconscious sexism that the female gender is weaker or bitchier
    Nope

Men cannot relate to female character development or women issues
    Not more or less than with the male action star in terms of development; but yeah; I cannot do relate much to woman issues; but that rather makes the experience a bit more interesting.

The female character is never attractive enough to hold interest.
    *looks at Robbies, Gadots and Larsons recently played characters*

... Are you blind or dead or both?

These are just some of my reasons I believe men are lukewarm to female driven movies.
    The last female driven action movie I saw was BoP. One of the failures I guess you are referring too. Deserving so but I fear for all the wrong reasons. As a action movie I liked it very much; as a small time Harley Quinn fan I loved the added, mostly CB authentic, depth to her DCEU character. But I actually had to force myself to watch it. It was the first DCEU I actively avoided on the big screen and even when I later got the BluRay it did took me some time to overcome my general dislike for it; and thats the Birds of Prey and the Cassandra Cain part which I also really like in comics. If I never read DC comics I probably would have loved it but as it is I feel it is too disrespectful to its name giving source characters/group and outright gross towards Cassandra Cain. The whole movie shows a big disregard towards all of this either by simple non-caring ignorance or by the wish to send a big flipping bird to the fans. But nothing of that has anything to do with the lead being female; or "worse" about female empowerment (CB fans complaining about this apparently never read a Bird of Prey issue; sadly I guess neither did Miss Yan :/ ).

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post

You could cast one of the most successful models in the world at that time (aka, look at Kathy Ireland or Cindy Crawford for other examples) and STILL have the movie fail miserably... because it's story and characters were just that badly done.
    For what it's worth, Fair Game starring Cindy Crawford and Corba starring Sly Stallone are based on the same novel. Sly rewrote the pitch he got to suit his strengths. Cindy didn't even want to do her version cuz she knew she wasn't an actress but ended up taking it cuz they offered her so much money she thought she'd be foolish to turn it down.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. I think Harrison Ford was older when he first played Indiana Jones than Angelina Jolie was the last time she played Lara Croft. While many men are playing action stars when they are so old it takes them a half hour to get out of a chair (with all due respect to Sean Connery, people in the theater were smirking at how slow moving he was in his last movie, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), no woman that old will ever get cast as an action star.
    But is that because of there gender or because they were simply not so big action/movie stars?

Comparing individual actors is always a little problematic, since often really comes down to their popularity.

And in case of Harrison Ford he seems mostly just to be brought back to continue his old still popular franchises and that's something not many actors of his age have, the only no franchise film he made in the last years was "Call of the Wild", and that was a massive flop.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But is that because of there gender or because they were simply not so big action/movie stars?

Comparing individual actors is always a little problematic, since often really comes down to their popularity.

And in case of Harrison Ford he seems mostly just to be brought back to continue his old still popular franchises and that's something not many actors of his age have, the only no franchise film he made in the last years was "Call of the Wild", and that was a massive flop.
    Aliens made $131 million in 1986 compared to Die Hard $141 million in 1988, but Sigourney Weaver was paid significantly less the Bruce Willis for their sequels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I quite literally groaned and facepalmed in the theater when it happened. It didn't help that they decided to kill off the only female Avenger earlier in the movie. I thought that split second was pretty lame, especially in the moment. Captain Marvel needs some serious stopping power, but rather than get Iron Man, Thor and Hulk, she gets Wasp, old Wasp and Mantis? I'm not knocking the characters themselves, but they're hardly who you want to have by your side when you go up against Thanos.
    I would submit that BW's death made more sense to the movie than many other points. At least they foreshadowed it and followed through. There are much more relevant things to be annoyed about. For instance, what purpose did Rhodey serve, other than to bring back the stone? What about Falcon, who did nothing more than whisper into Cap's ear? Or Drax, who repeatedly stabbed but apparently killed no one?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    People loved Furiosa more then mad max. And she's getting her own movie, she wasn't feminine. Same goes for Captain Marvel. Only small vocal group on the internet hated her.
    True. And I am looking forward to it.

BANNED

Captain Marvel was a hard character to fall in love with and Unlike Mad Max, her movie was straight up terrible. I see the movie flopping many times over if she did not have Disney and MCU to fall back on. I doubt she has as many male fans as Wonder Woman.
    In your opinion as usual. There are many people even men, who would disagree with you .

And the last one is not really a surprise comparing the history of the two.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 08-09-2020 at 11:23 PM.

BANNED

Emma Watson's Belle from The Beauty and the Beast Live action was lovely and likeable, the movie was okay not as good as the cartoon. Brie Larson and Captain Marvel was not the best idea.
    Brie Larson was very likable in the movie and dare I say it attractive.

And regarding Kirsten Stewart it would really help to watch a movie before making statements like yours. Reminds me a little of the "But she didn't smile in the trailers" nonsense after the Captain Marvel trailers started. And as usual they were wrong.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Can someone explain to me what do "Beauty and the Beast" and the Twilight saga have to do with the action movies?
    For what I know Beauty and the Beast is a novella and the Twilight saga is a romantic story in disguise of an urban fantasy story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Can someone explain to me what do "Beauty and the Beast" and the Twilight saga have to do with the action movies?
    For what I know Beauty and the Beast is a novella and the Twilight saga is a romantic story in disguise of an urban fantasy story.
    I think they're what you might call desperate reaches to try and support an entrenched but indefensible opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I think they're what you might call desperate reaches to try and support an entrenched but indefensible opinion.
    Moving the goalposts as usual.

BANNED

Beauty and The Beast and Twilight have action and fantasy. The two movies central characters are girls. A lot of men hated and mocked Twilight. How the franchise succeeded was a one time thing that will never happen again.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Beauty and The Beast and Twilight have action and fantasy. The two movies central characters are girls. A lot of men hated and mocked Twilight. How the franchise succeeded was a one time thing that will never happen again.
    A one time thing? Hunger Games would like to have a word with you.

Twilight succeeded because it was a best selling young adult book series...and definitely not an action movie.

Mighty Member

[I did watch the first Twilight movie via Riff Trax with some friends. that was a fun experience]

to be fair: there was no shortage of women who hated Twilight as well.

I have read numerous critics of the Twilight series complain that Bella Swan is less of a character and more of a cipher. she's so ill-defined that the readers can simply transform her into an avatar of their own desires, fantasies, and wishes. some have even mockingly referred to Bella Swan as a piece of clothing that readers could put on and wear.

I mean, if you put it that way... Twilight succeeded for some of the very same reasons that Golden Age Superman comics succeeded. it allows readers to live out fantasies vicariously through the main character.

it's happened before. it will most certainly happen again.

Ultimate Member

My thoughts exactly.

Beauty and the Beast is a fantasy and Twilight is a supernatural romance. None of these are action movies.

But if we are going down this route, we can bring in Fifty Shades of Grey. Ooohhh daddy..l