Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Harry Potter had more to do with that. Billions of Dollars made with adapting a book for kids or teens results as usual in others doing that with anything, that is in the same corner.
    Harry Potter was never categorised as full fledged YA. It was children's fantasy that captivated many adults. Harry Potter is more comparable to Star Wars when it comes to fan demographic.

Twilight was the series that truly gave birth to YA.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Harry Potter was never categorised as full fledged YA. It was children's fantasy that captivated many adults. Harry Potter is more comparable to Star Wars when it comes to fan demographic.

Sooooo not a one-time thing then?

BANNED

You never read the last books or watched the last movies I take it? That was not really children's fantasy anymore.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 08-11-2020 at 05:51 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Lol Given the argument made about Black Panther, I think a thread titled " Why black movies get awards not on merit but because of diversity, from a white man's perspective " is more likely.

This thread has changed the angle and moved the goal post about 20 times. I mean most recently Twilight was called a one time thing and then Hunger games is brought up. The explanation being Twilight lead the way... which would clearly mean it wasn't a one time thing. Im not even sure what the argument is anymore. It was about Masculine women not being appealing to male audience(shown not to be true), and then somehow shifted to twilight and beauty and the beast in the last couple pages.
    If I get it right Beauty and the Beast was an example of a "feminine" heroine by the OP, but calling that an action movie is a big stretch and grasping at straws even more than usual.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Sooooo not a one-time thing then?
    As seen that is something completly different as the OP is so fond of saying, so it doesn't count in his opinion^^

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    You never read the last books or watched the last movies I take it? That was not really children's fantasy anymore.
    Which is what I said with Harry Potter's fan demographic. sorry my words made it hard for you to get. harry potter in the beginning was seen as children's fantasy but it went beyond that very much like Star Wars or Lord of the rings starting out first with a children's book like the hobbit before the later books.

Twilight was strictly YA defined.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Yes, but I still don't understand what is the relationship among the fantasy movies like Twilight, Harry Potter, the target age of their audience and the title of the topic: «Female action movies from a male's perspective only».

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Which is what I said with Harry Potter's fan demographic. sorry my words made it hard for you to get. harry potter in the beginning was seen as children's fantasy but it went beyond that very much like Star Wars or Lord of the rings starting out first with a children's book like the hobbit before the later books.

Harry Potter is definitely a young adult fantasy series...there's really no arguing that...and again it and others like Twilight and Beauty and the Beast have nothing to do with Female Lead Action films.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Yes, but I still don't understand what is the relationship among the fantasy movies like Twilight, Harry Potter, the target age of their audience and the title of the topic: «Female action movies from a male's perspective only».
    You're not alone. Its probably just any franchise now.

Also mixing LOTR, HP and Twilight in the same sentence as if the writers were equals hurts so much I stop caring.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 08-11-2020 at 07:38 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Twilight had tons of action. the highest grossing twilight films had the most action. During Eclipse the male actors told the twilight fan girls to bring their boyfriends to cinema to watch the film because it was the most action packed Twilight film to date.

The breaking dawn book had no action but the part 2 movie had action and that very big final fight.

Twilight was a combination of many tihings, romance, action, drama, fantasy but most importantly, it was female driven unlike harry potter that had a male centre character and twilight did exceptional well.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-11-2020 at 09:24 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    You're not alone. Its probably just any franchise now.

Also mixing LOTR, HP and Twilight in the same sentence as if the writers were equals hurts so much I stop caring.
    I am not defending the quality of twilight. I am only saying the truth about its success as a female central franchise.

I am not defending the quality of twilight. I am only saying the truth about its success as a female central franchise.
    So the women were all involved in the action?

Or was it the vampires vs. the werewolves? Team Edward vs Team Jacob.

Did I miss the part where the women drove the action in the Twilight series.

Mighty Member

I gotta disagree with you there. [LOL, my we have certainly drifted far afield from "female action movies", haven't we?"]

I mean if, by "Young Adult" we mean that older children... very specifically in the age range of 12 to 18 are being deliberately targeted as the primary audience and marketed to accordingly then maybe...

aw hell. I still disagree. it's not like comics didn't fulfill the same niche. were 40 year-old professionals and war veterans buying all of those Batman and Superman comics in the 40s and 50s for their own personal amusement?

it's also assuming that classic children's stories were somehow NOT read by older kids because they crossed over some invisible magic line that didn't even exist then. I mean... the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, Little Women, the Little Prince... Superman, Batman, Spiderman... these were all targeted to kids both young and old.

it's not like people didn't write children's stories with a broader age range in mind. this is also assuming a degree of age-based specialization that is probably only true after the start of the 20th century.

can I then assert that this thread drift is taking place because every single one of your opening arguments in regards female action movies has been repeatedly and systematically annihilated by multiple parties across twelve pages? it certainly looks that way.

so, maybe you have a lot of sexist, narrow-minded men as friends and family of yours. I'm sure you didn't make those assertions in the OP out-of-the-blue and without reason. but that doesn't mean that what's true of your friends and family is true of everyone in the world.

BANNED

I get you allright, thank you very much. You moving the goalposts after proven wrong is the problem . In more ways than one.

BANNED

Twilight had tons of action. the highest grossing twilight films had the most action. During Eclipse the male actors told the twilight fan girls to bring their boyfriends to cinema to watch the film because it was the most action packed Twilight film to date.

The breaking dawn book had no action but the part 2 movie had action and that very big final fight.

Twilight was a combination of many tihings, romance, action, drama, fantasy but most importantly, it was female driven unlike harry potter that had a male centre character and twilight did exceptional well.
    Female driven means, that a girl has a stalker and is defined all by him? The girls in the Harry Potter movies had more to do and were better written than any of the women in the Twilight movies.
    Watching the first Twilight I wished for a Vampire Hunter to come to town and put an end to the vampire stalking girls in high school(wonder how often he did that before). Buffy or Sonja Blue would have been esp. great for that.

And you are the only one defining Twilight as action movies. But that is the result of your usual moving the goalposts and grasping at straws to bolster your argument.