small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Default the Fuhrer and the Tramp!

From Comics Experience, by Sea McArcle, Dexter Wee, Jon Judy, a five issue limited series

in which Charlie Chaplin is drawn into making a movie mocking Adolf Hitler, even as the latter begins German conquest of Europe. Hitler is not pleased: he, like all the world, was a fan of "the Little Tramp" and is deeply offended when Chaplin turns against him, taking (possibly) to threatening Chaplin's life. Also 'starring' as themselves, an arrogant, shallow, take-charge friend of Charlie's, Errol Flynn, and (and the comic is worth getting just for this!), Hedy Lemar, an inventive, intelligent, sarcastic observer of the world and goad and guidance to Charlie's slow ascent into standing against Nazism.

Well drawn, oh yes, well-scripted, oh yes, and interestingly blending fact and fiction (individual scenes may be invented, but are done so from historical record), creates a fun, semi-historical comic of swashbuckling, and comedic interplay while not looking away from the horror that was Nazi Germany in ascendance. Well worth my time and my dime.

Anyone else manage to pick this up? And, what d'you think?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'd wish more people were interested and aware of this comic-- here's a facebook link to my 'album' of the first 4 covers and sample pages
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Walking-...51867688235513
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    From Comics Experience, by Sea McArcle, Dexter Wee, Jon Judy, a five issue limited series

in which Charlie Chaplin is drawn into making a movie mocking Adolf Hitler, even as the latter begins German conquest of Europe. Hitler is not pleased: he, like all the world, was a fan of "the Little Tramp" and is deeply offended when Chaplin turns against him, taking (possibly) to threatening Chaplin's life. Also 'starring' as themselves, an arrogant, shallow, take-charge friend of Charlie's, Errol Flynn, and (and the comic is worth getting just for this!), Hedy Lemar, an inventive, intelligent, sarcastic observer of the world and goad and guidance to Charlie's slow ascent into standing against Nazism.

Well drawn, oh yes, well-scripted, oh yes, and interestingly blending fact and fiction (individual scenes may be invented, but are done so from historical record), creates a fun, semi-historical comic of swashbuckling, and comedic interplay while not looking away from the horror that was Nazi Germany in ascendance. Well worth my time and my dime.

Anyone else manage to pick this up? And, what d'you think?
    Historically it doesn't seem especially accurate.

Astonishing Member

I'd wish more people were interested and aware of this comic-- here's a facebook link to my 'album' of the first 4 covers and sample pages
    Chaplin married two teenagers and was exiled from the US. I don't think he's a popular person.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Chaplin married two teenagers and was exiled from the US. I don't think he's a popular person.
    Depends, there are some people who like his movies and politics and others don't.

This series has caused me no end of logistical frustration with shops ordering and COVID problems. I finally got the first issue, which was quarantined in the other shop in my dealer's chain and I finally was able to pick up that first issue, which looked interesting, if a bit more fun than expected with a book about Adolf. I have issues three and four in my pile, five is expected tomorrow, no make that later today, and I'm still waiting on Diamond to ship of issue to to my LCS.

I'd comment more, but I want to get the whole series in hand before reading further.

As for Chaplin, he's a complicated character. He liked his women young and that fact is indisputable. But he was a brilliant filmmaker and if his work only consisted of The Great Dictator, he would still rank among the best.

I'm glad you liked the book Matt! The 5th (and final double sized) issue just came out this week. I'd love to hear what you thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This series has caused me no end of logistical frustration with shops ordering and COVID problems. I finally got the first issue, which was quarantined in the other shop in my dealer's chain and I finally was able to pick up that first issue, which looked interesting, if a bit more fun than expected with a book about Adolf. I have issues three and four in my pile, five is expected tomorrow, no make that later today, and I'm still waiting on Diamond to ship of issue to to my LCS.

I'd comment more, but I want to get the whole series in hand before reading further.

As for Chaplin, he's a complicated character. He liked his women young and that fact is indisputable. But he was a brilliant filmmaker and if his work only consisted of The Great Dictator, he would still rank among the best.
    YOU AND ME BOTH!!!! The first issue shipped to stores the exact day of the shutdown (in my state at least). So only about half of the stores got it, and I had to cancel nearly 20 signings I had arranged. And then the second and third issues just came out of nowhere with no warning... Its been an utter mess.

Thanks for sticking around for the whole thing though! Can't wait to hear what you think about it!

It's historically accurate in the same way that Inglourious Basterds or Gladiator or Braveheart are accurate, which is to say, not accurate at all. I used history and the characters as a springboard, but kept peppering the story with actual facts and anecdotes I learned while studying Charlie, Errol, Hedy and the rest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SeanLukeMcCard View Post
    It's historically accurate in the same way that Inglourious Basterds or Gladiator or Braveheart are accurate, which is to say, not accurate at all. I used history and the characters as a springboard, but kept peppering the story with actual facts and anecdotes I learned while studying Charlie, Errol, Hedy and the rest.
    Seems fair. Thanks for responding Mr. McCard. Wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanLukeMcCard View Post
    YOU AND ME BOTH!!!! The first issue shipped to stores the exact day of the shutdown (in my state at least). So only about half of the stores got it, and I had to cancel nearly 20 signings I had arranged. And then the second and third issues just came out of nowhere with no warning... Its been an utter mess.

Thanks for sticking around for the whole thing though! Can't wait to hear what you think about it!
    Thank you for posting and seeing what fans think. I finally have all five issues in my fankid paws and I will be reading the entire uninterrupted story this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Thank you for posting and seeing what fans think. I finally have all five issues in my fankid paws and I will be reading the entire uninterrupted story this weekend.
    I read Fuhrer and the Tramp and I liked it. I'm very tempted to say "it wasn't what I expected", but I really didn't have any expectations about the book and really hadn't contemplated what I though it was going to be like. So instead of a coherent review, I will instead make random assorted comments.

The use of real life characters who were portrayed somewhat as their usual on-screen persona was fun and allowed a sense of whimsy.
    I was OK with Sydney's fictionalized feelings until the event later in the series which seemed basically wrong for Charlie's brother.
    Other historic figures featured were also quite fun and added to the placement of Chaplin as a major media figure in 1940's America.
    Chaplin taking note of Riefenstahl's eye as regards her work said a lot to me about Chaplin's love for his profession.
    The Ministry was a hoot and I didn't have to google anyone!

Thank you for all the work you put in on this, Mr. McArdle. Props also go to Jon Judy and Dexter Wee as well for their work. The book rocked.