Amazing Member

Default Question about Alan Scott Green Lantern and Constructs

If somebody has already asked this, I'm sorry, but there's this question that's been buzzing around in my head and I thought I'd bring it up with you guys, since you'd know more about it than me, and it might make for a good discussion.

So, when it comes to Alan Scott, the first Green Lantern... has he always been able to make constructs with his ring, or was that something simply given to him post Silver Age Green Lantern Corps? Admittedly, I have only seen two Golden Age stories with Alan, his origin and his appearance in the JSA origin, but both times, he never uses that particular ability, though it is listed under his powers on the DC wiki.

Can anyone offer any insight on this question?

Hi. I am not an expert on this, but I think at first Alan could only do "Green Flame" or force blasts. Later on at some point, he did do constructs, but I do not know when or how. Sorry could not help more.

Quote Originally Posted by TricksterFox View Post
    If somebody has already asked this, I'm sorry, but there's this question that's been buzzing around in my head and I thought I'd bring it up with you guys, since you'd know more about it than me, and it might make for a good discussion.

So, when it comes to Alan Scott, the first Green Lantern... has he always been able to make constructs with his ring, or was that something simply given to him post Silver Age Green Lantern Corps? Admittedly, I have only seen two Golden Age stories with Alan, his origin and his appearance in the JSA origin, but both times, he never uses that particular ability, though it is listed under his powers on the DC wiki.

Can anyone offer any insight on this question?
    I believe Alan at first could only effect metals with his powers , move through walls, fly that sort of thing. Then later on more towards the end of his first run he began to make what could be seen as constructs but they were fairly simple and not the primary use of his power.

Though to be fair constructs were included as part of Hal's original power set but back then it wasn't all about the constructs either.

Green Lanterns can do damn near almost anything it's just that most modern writers only seem to lean into that particular aspect.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 07-29-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Though to be fair constructs were included as part of Hal's original power set but back then it wasn't all about the constructs.
    Green Lanterns can do damn near almost anything it's just that most modern writers only seem to lean into that particular aspect.
    Gotta admit, I prefer some "rules" to powers v. "damn near almost anything" - though that doesn't mean one needs to be limited to constructs. But there should be limits, and the should be consistent and I'd prefer well-defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Gotta admit, I prefer some "rules" to powers v. "damn near almost anything" - though that doesn't mean one needs to be limited to constructs. But there should be limits, and the should be consistent and I'd prefer well-defined.

There were rules and limits such as the 24 hour charge and the yellow impurity. Even though I love the expansion of the franchise that Johns did , the fact of the matter is (IMHO)their powerset was much more interesting when I was growing up in the 80's and 90's.

FWIW, this is from GL #28 (1947)
    green-lantern-v1-28b.jpg
    So he was certainly using some kind of constructs. Not sure how elaborate they might have gotten.

I mean in Death Metal #2 he managed to make a Cerberus guard dog that physically attacked Wonder Woman so that has to be something. Not to mention in Justice Society of America he has used his ring to make battle armor and a sword. So I think while his ring leaves a fiery after effect but he can definitely make constructs.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

So from what I'm gathering, Alan's ability to make constructs out of his ring's energy was only lightly played with in the Golden Age, and was probably given more prominence after the creation of the Silver Age Green Lantern. That makes sense. Thank you all for the insight.