Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Annihilation vs Infinity Gauntlet: Which is the better event?

As the title suggests...debate away.
    These are arguably two of the best events Marvel have put out over the years. And both have die hard fans on both sides of the argument.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

For me, it’s Annihilation. I was pretty new to comics when it was published and it sorta blew my mind. It was this huge sprawling epic but at the same time it felt gritty and intimate. Plus it introduced me to so many characters that I’ve come to love.

It actually inspired me to check out Infinity Gauntlet for obvious reasons, which doesn’t really do much for me. Think I’ve tried reading it four or five times now, I have the huge omnibus sitting on my shelf, but I’ve never managed to finish it. Just doesn’t hold my interest in the same way.

BANNED

Infinity Gauntlet is a better story.

Infinity Gauntlet by a mile.

Niffleheim

Infinity Gauntlet was much better.

For me, actually, I'm torn. It depends on what I'm in the mood for. If I'm in the mood for some intriguing art and thought-provoking concepts, I'd go with Infinity Gauntlet. It's very philosophical in way and Perez had some beautiful and creative visuals. If I'm in the mood for something a bit more slam, bam, action-packed, I'd go with Annihilation. Annihilation is a good summer blockbuster. It gets you in that first issue. I remember reading the TPB for Infinity Gauntlet, hoping to read some great action scenes. Instead, I get Thanos talking about being a god and pontificating on such and such for all these pages. Yeah, the snap was cool and Adam Warlock being audacious against Galactus were cool. Things ramp up towards issues 3 and 4 when Thanos battles all the heroes and cosmic embodiments. But then, there isn't a lot of cosmic action afterwards. Yeah, there's subterfuge and manuvering, but I wanted a bit more of a climatic fight scene, which I get in Annihilation when Nova takes on Annihilus.

So for me, it depends.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The stakes were pretty high in Infinity Gauntlet. Only a few remaining A-list heroes remaining and Thanos bodied all of them. Annihilation is a good part of Guardians of the Galaxy history.
    "Cable was right!"

Infinity Gauntlet.

Though, it really depends on what time period you read it in..
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I think they're both great in their own way.

Infinity Gauntlet is more of a Marvel Universe event with all the major players and is concise, to the point, and straightforward event story.

Annihilation is a Marvel Cosmic story with a little more niche character roster but while still being a sprawling, epic, story that made good use of all it's tie-in's.

Incredible Member

without infinity gauntlet , there wouldn't have been 'Annihilation'.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Infinity Gauntlet takes this. But if I'm being totally honest, I wouldn't consider either story Marvel's greatest epic event. They were just ok for me.

Ultimate Member

Narratively speaking, Annihilation wins hands down.

Infinity Gauntlet looks prettier, but benefits from being the first mini to really break from most conventions, and not for the better. The only two characters who experience any development are Thanos and Warlock, while literally everyone else is just set pieces for their story. As a villain, Thanos is frankly uninspired, he loves the physical manifestation of Death, and for that he slaughters billions. We have no reason to empathize, and in the end, after all his sadistic acts (including his torture of Nebula), what's his punishment? A peaceful retirement.

Infinity Gauntlet also then benefited from reader naivety. It was easier then to suspend disbelief that the damage wrought might somehow remain. Readers since then have become far more savvy.

In contrast, Annihilation never asks us to care about the insane villain. It manages to keep raising the tension, but not so much as to break suspension of disbelief and is actually willing to throw some shade against the cast (way to go, Drax). It focuses on a large swath of characters without taking away from the logical narrative and left plenty of story potential at the end.

Far from perfect, internally and otherwise, sure. But better constructed than anything with an 'Infinity' label.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Narratively speaking, Annihilation wins hands down.

Infinity Gauntlet looks prettier, but benefits from being the first mini to really break from most conventions, and not for the better. The only two characters who experience any development are Thanos and Warlock, while literally everyone else is just set pieces for their story. As a villain, Thanos is frankly uninspired, he loves the physical manifestation of Death, and for that he slaughters billions. We have no reason to empathize, and in the end, after all his sadistic acts (including his torture of Nebula), what's his punishment? A peaceful retirement.

Infinity Gauntlet also then benefited from reader naivety. It was easier then to suspend disbelief that the damage wrought might somehow remain. Readers since then have become far more savvy.

In contrast, Annihilation never asks us to care about the insane villain. It manages to keep raising the tension, but not so much as to break suspension of disbelief and is actually willing to throw some shade against the cast (way to go, Drax). It focuses on a large swath of characters without taking away from the logical narrative and left plenty of story potential at the end.

Far from perfect, internally and otherwise, sure. But better constructed than anything with an 'Infinity' label.
    The Infinity Gauntlet storyline started with Adam and Thanos so I think it makes sense that it would focus on them primarily, and at least other heroes get some good moments in the story (even if it's ultimately just building up to their death). I don't think we really need to emphasize with Thanos for him to be a compelling and effective villain.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Infinity Gauntlet storyline started with Adam and Thanos so I think it makes sense that it would focus on them primarily, and at least other heroes get some good moments in the story (even if it's ultimately just building up to their death). I don't think we really need to emphasize with Thanos for him to be a compelling and effective villain.
    Thanos killed half the universe, and sadistically tortured Nebula, yet he gets to peacefully retire.

There's no emotional or narrative pay off. He just...wanders off.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Thanos killed half the universe, and sadistically tortured Nebula, yet he gets to peacefully retire.

There's no emotional or narrative pay off. He just...wanders off.
    The universe was reset so none of the events happened. In fact other than the heroes there at the end, nobody even knows it happened. As for Nebula, nobody should shed any tears for her.