Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Annihilation vs Infinity Gauntlet: Which is the better event?

As the title suggests...debate away.
    These are arguably two of the best events Marvel have put out over the years. And both have die hard fans on both sides of the argument.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

For me, it’s Annihilation. I was pretty new to comics when it was published and it sorta blew my mind. It was this huge sprawling epic but at the same time it felt gritty and intimate. Plus it introduced me to so many characters that I’ve come to love.

It actually inspired me to check out Infinity Gauntlet for obvious reasons, which doesn’t really do much for me. Think I’ve tried reading it four or five times now, I have the huge omnibus sitting on my shelf, but I’ve never managed to finish it. Just doesn’t hold my interest in the same way.

BANNED

Infinity Gauntlet is a better story.

Infinity Gauntlet by a mile.

Niffleheim

Infinity Gauntlet was much better.

For me, actually, I'm torn. It depends on what I'm in the mood for. If I'm in the mood for some intriguing art and thought-provoking concepts, I'd go with Infinity Gauntlet. It's very philosophical in way and Perez had some beautiful and creative visuals. If I'm in the mood for something a bit more slam, bam, action-packed, I'd go with Annihilation. Annihilation is a good summer blockbuster. It gets you in that first issue. I remember reading the TPB for Infinity Gauntlet, hoping to read some great action scenes. Instead, I get Thanos talking about being a god and pontificating on such and such for all these pages. Yeah, the snap was cool and Adam Warlock being audacious against Galactus were cool. Things ramp up towards issues 3 and 4 when Thanos battles all the heroes and cosmic embodiments. But then, there isn't a lot of cosmic action afterwards. Yeah, there's subterfuge and manuvering, but I wanted a bit more of a climatic fight scene, which I get in Annihilation when Nova takes on Annihilus.

So for me, it depends.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The stakes were pretty high in Infinity Gauntlet. Only a few remaining A-list heroes remaining and Thanos bodied all of them. Annihilation is a good part of Guardians of the Galaxy history.
    "Cable was right!"