Default New Doctor Aphra comic brings back old Marvel villain

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Domina_Tagge

Although the central bad guy is her nephew Rennen, Domina and her family-relatives of the Death Star general who perceived the Rebellion as a threat in the briefing room scene-were recurring antagonists in the original Marvel series, which had the Tagges basically being an elite galactic family. I wouldn't be surprised if she showed up in some later issues.

This isn't the first time old Marvel canon has been reintroduced by Disney-the Cloud Riders from SOLO were inspired by a group in the comics; and the bounty hunter Valance has also been reintroduced. Also, the Darth Vader comics revealed that General Tagge did not die on the Death Star (He's not really seen late in the film like Motti and Tarkin are) and that he was the commander of the Executor before Vader. Vader kills him at the end of the series.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I remember one brother had his own lightsaber and was blinded by Vader, another was a mad scientist, an Imperial admiral, and their little sister who tried to get Luke killed after Vader manipulated her into thinking Luke killed the first brother.

I think originally the admiral was intended to be the Tagge from the film. It's also a bit weird that he's a general whereas in the film he's referred to as a commander with a starfleet (by an Admiral, no less!) I think it's because the lines were swapped somehow. Then again this is Star Wars, where general ranks are pretty much thrown out like candy.

Jerjorodd was also a Moff officially but only referred to in ROTJ as "Commander" as well. I'm guessing it's in part because in earlier drafts of ROTJ he was portrayed as more of a Grand Moff Tarkin-style rival.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-02-2020 at 01:14 PM.

The November solicit has confirmed her appearance in a few issues.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This latest run of Aphra is just plain bad.

I think it's been okay so far.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think it's been okay so far.
    The supporting characters are just all so underdeveloped that I just can't bring myself to care about what might happen to them so there's just zero dramatic tension.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The supporting characters are just all so underdeveloped that I just can't bring myself to care about what might happen to them so there's just zero dramatic tension.
    Fair.

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Arrow

I like it so far, nothing fantastic but nothing bad either. It's solid and certainly a tad above average. Of course, it is hard to have a bad comic when Aphra is the star. I love her character and that of her droid lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

I didn't warm up to the first few issues of New Aphra. But I don't really mind the thin characterization, and the plot points of bringing in the Tagge ... Dynasty? definitely appeals to me as a Tagge fan, Legends fan, and person who thinks there's plenty to mine about Imperial politicking from that New Hope Death Star conference room. (Look, we've got a Tarkin "student" in SW, we had Tagge himself and saw his official follow-up, Wulf Yularen has gotten plenty of play, etc ...)

But honestly I think it's just the art. It's too flat, comicky and quirky. I don't need artists attempting realism passes of actors faces making stiff, weird artwork in Star Wars books - I definitely don't need "realism" as I'm gaga over art styles like in Rebels, TCW, even some of the animated shorts ... but I do need it to feel cinematic, wide screen, and lived in. That approach to artwork can add a lot of the 'missing' attributes of character and story dynamism.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Kind of interesting to see if the family has hard feelings for Vader, as General Tagge (Who survived the DS) was given the force choke by Vader at the end of his first comic. Then again given the Tagge family are sort of Star Wars's versions of the Borgias, Tutors, GOT characters etc. I doubt they'd mind that much...

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Man I loved the House of Tagge in the original Star Wars run. They were such a good threat.