Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Nick Jr. Is here only because Marvel didn't have the stones to commit to limbo-ing OG Nick for Ultimate Nick. I think Marvel should done just that. However since they didn't let Nick Jr. Be the lone wolf agent that pulls the resources together and forms SHIELD from the ground up. It would even be probable with him working with Tchalla and getting an assist on all the tech.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Nick Jr. Is here only because Marvel didn't have the stones to commit to limbo-ing OG Nick for Ultimate Nick. I think Marvel should done just that. However since they didn't let Nick Jr. Be the lone wolf agent that pulls the resources together and forms SHIELD from the ground up. It would even be probable with him working with Tchalla and getting an assist on all the tech.
    I think turning the original Nick into the Unseen effectively was limbo-ing OG Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    He's a botched attempt at synergy.

They tried replacing 616 Nick with him, but both one cared enough about Marcus to use him regularly.

They basically killed off Uatu and ruined 616 Nick to attempt to bring a mcu version that people basically forgot about overnight. Totally not worth it.
    this for the most part

to be honest he does not bother me when he rarely pops up.I know who he was/is and can just move past it.

Incredible Member

While we all understand the why behind his creation and push towards head of SHIELD (now defunct?)/ espionage community, it is unlikely to "never" be accepted by long time readers as he simply does not have the history and experience. This of course may change 10 years down the line IF Marvel is aggressive in its push and his development.

As to how we arrived at the character? Yeah that was not good. At all. And was all kinds of dumb. Think we all agree on that.

Personally and as a fan of the espionage genre, think it's good there's a character that exists that has little baggage (continuity) to tell such stories. The 2017 mini-series by James Robinson and ACO was great; from execution and down to his look (no Sam' Jackson/ Ultimate Fury clone). IMHO, this series showed (as a general premise) how the character should be utilized. Personal preference of course.

The inclusion of Maria Hill (who I actually think is a good character) as a handler etcetera would be a good inclusion. Down the line, other characters like Bucky, Quake, and other Catarpillars can show up as guest stars etcetera.

Bottomline, I for one like him (using Robinson's series as the template) and think there's untapped potential with the character and an avenue to tell good stories. The problem however is Marvel's very purpose of creating the character runs counter-productive to this potential.
    Last edited by Mr. White; 08-02-2020 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    While we all understand the why behind his creation and push towards head of SHIELD (now defunct?)/ espionage community, it is unlikely to "never" be accepted by long time readers as he simply does not have the history and experience. This of course may change 10 years down the line IF Marvel is aggressive in its push and his development.

As to how we arrived at the character? Yeah that was not good. At all. And was all kinds of dumb. Think we all agree on that.

Personally and as a fan of the espionage genre, think it's good there's a character that exists that has little baggage (continuity) to tell such stories. The 2017 mini-series by James Robinson and ACO was great; from execution and down to his look (no Sam' Jackson/ Ultimate Fury clone). IMHO, this series showed (as a general premise) how the character should be utilized. Personal preference of course.

The inclusion of Maria Hill (who I actually think is a good character) as a handler etcetera would be a good inclusion. Down the line, other characters like Bucky, Quake, and other Catarpillars can show up as guest stars etcetera.

Bottomline, I for one like him (using Robinson's series as the template) and think there's untapped potential with the character and an avenue to tell good stories. The problem however is Marvel's very purpose of creating the character runs counter-productive to this potential.
    When you say "handler" do you mean the person who is either ignored or dunked on at every opportunity? If that is what you mean, Hill can tag along. If not save that role for someone the fans can actually care about and take seriously, because no one is willing to do that for Hill.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

My hair grows super fast and I cut it bald all the time on a whim. Sometimes it's just easier or sometimes I'm bored. Actually a lot black men choose to be bald. And that's not even accounting for how society tries to tell us how our hair looks unkept etc when we do grow it out.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I've been reading a lot of old Nick Fury comics recently. I think Nick Fury Jr.'s biggest issue is the power dynamic. He's a far less experienced character in a subordinate role. Ultimate Nick Fury would work a lot better because he's got a lot of experience and is a veteran of leadership. That being said, a push on the character to make him the head of SHIELD could pay off and remedy these concerns. After a couple years, he would seem closer to Ultimate Nick Fury. I didn't read his recent solo series, so I can't comment on that. I heard it was quite good, though.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    When you say "handler" do you mean the person who is either ignored or dunked on at every opportunity? If that is what you mean, Hill can tag along. If not save that role for someone the fans can actually care about and take seriously, because no one is willing to do that for Hill.
    Alright 'fess up. What did Maria do to you?
    Also think you may be generalizing your hate for Hill just a tad.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I've been reading a lot of old Nick Fury comics recently. I think Nick Fury Jr.'s biggest issue is the power dynamic. He's a far less experienced character in a subordinate role. Ultimate Nick Fury would work a lot better because he's got a lot of experience and is a veteran of leadership. That being said, a push on the character to make him the head of SHIELD could pay off and remedy these concerns. After a couple years, he would seem closer to Ultimate Nick Fury. I didn't read his recent solo series, so I can't comment on that. I heard it was quite good, though.
    Yeah it was pretty good. I'd recommend you give it a read if you have the opportunity.

Least it would show you the potential.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Alright 'fess up. What did Maria do to you?
    Also think you may be generalizing your hate for Hill just a tad.
    She was written by Nick Spencer, so, yeah...

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I wish they would have ported over Ultimate Fury, that character had charisma. Classic Fury is awesome. Ultimate Fury is awesome. Nick Jr tries to fuse the two and fails miserably.
    Agreed.

Ultimate Nick Fury was essentially Samuel Jackson's screen persona and appearance mixed with classic 616 Nick Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Ultimate Nick Fury was definitely that. It's been a while since I read it but I remember that he was either married or had a relationship with this woman he lived with. One day she found some kind of a diary that listed all the women he cheated on her with and it was filled with names of her female friends and relatives like her sister, mother, etc.
    Yep. 616 was a Bond style Womanizer so Ultimate Fury was made a serial adulterer. All part the whole update and make Marvel's classic characters scumbag versions of their 616 counterparts with a few notable exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    I miss the real Nick Fury, SHIELD and also The Watcher. Those should all be brought back as soon as possible. Keep Jr as a sidekick or whatever, he's not the actual Nick Fury.
    Make Nick Fury senior the head of Sword. If they want to continue the whole watcher on the wall thing then making him boss of SHIELD's space counterpart makes sense.

They should have had nick fury remain nick fury and had nick fury jr. as the new watcher on the moon but with a more active role because he can't just stand around and watch.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    They should have had nick fury remain nick fury and had nick fury jr. as the new watcher on the moon but with a more active role because he can't just stand around and watch.
    I'd reverse that have old dude Fury in outer space, let Jr. build up a new version of SHIELD planet side. I would LOVE it if Ultimate Fury could come in and just take over for Sr. and Jr. It just too many old schoolers would have epic levels of butt hurt. Not to mention the small amount of racist that can't seem to function with black men being heroes in charge. ...real or fiction!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I'd reverse that have old dude Fury in outer space, let Jr. build up a new version of SHIELD planet side. I would LOVE it if Ultimate Fury could come in and just take over for Sr. and Jr. It just too many old schoolers would have epic levels of butt hurt. Not to mention the small amount of racist that can't seem to function with black men being heroes in charge. ...real or fiction!!
    It seems like the consensus is that people would have preferred porting Ultimate Fury over wholesale instead of what they did.

I am kind of curious if Ultimate Fury would have to have had some characterization changes to function more in 616.

I like the idea of Marcus but felt they screwed him trying to make him a replacement for his father. At best he should've looked like a young Sam Jackson than his current age. Plus it would've been better if Marcus kept his name and other people called him Nick Fury II as a nickname or an insult.