Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Nick, Jr. obviously is using facets of both Ultimate and Samuel J. Nick. But where both OG Nick and Ultimate Nick were higher up on the spy food chain, Nick, Jr. isn't as yet. The Robinson/ACO work on their series was extraordinary and gave a distinct flavor to Nick as a high level operative and not a master espionage wizard using people as chess pieces. When thinking of what OG Nick really would be doing, I go back to Miller and Sienkievicz's Electra mini where Nick is brilliant multi-tasking while on the phone.

We can have both a Nick who's out kicking spy butt and a Nick who is maneuvering the greys of spycraft. Even though the personality and mannerisms of Ultimate Nick might be preferable to OG Nick for many, those can be used by Nick, Jr. OG Nick is a valid character IMO because of his longevity and his brusque unpolished style used sometimes to put people off. Junior and Original Nick both have their places. And OG's isn't as a Watcher.
    Operative word there is 'yet'. SHIELD still has to come back....again...wonder who they will put in charge of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Operative word there is 'yet'. SHIELD still has to come back....again...wonder who they will put in charge of it?
    Having no shield is probably the other big thing which worked against the character. There's only so much a shield agent can do without shield. He's sort of dead in the water outside the occasional cameo. .

In the least though, it does potentially create a story for him if they ever want to pull the trigger.

I've always preferred classic Nick to Jr, Ultimate, or movie.
    he would not fit into the regualr marve
    Even if you DO want more movie synergy, moving Ultimate Nick over would be a bad idea. The guy was a dick to the point of villianry. Everything people complained about Norman and Maria Hill being when they ran SHIELD, he was worse. I think more people like the idea of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury than have ever actually liked Ultimate Nick.

Still, Nick Jr. feels like a weak compromise that isn't want either crowd want and hasn't really had the chance to be his own character.

Things almost everyone can agree on so far...

Compared to past Marvel attempts at synergy he isn't so bad. Which really says something about past attempts at synergy.

He is a failed attempt at fusing classic Fury and Ultimate.

The patch needs to go. He needs an advanced prosthetic that has X-Ray vision or something...

Most people would have preferred that Marvel just bring over the Ultimate Fury with Miles Morales.

Everyone misses Uatu
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Even if you DO want more movie synergy, moving Ultimate Nick over would be a bad idea. The guy was a dick to the point of villianry. Everything people complained about Norman and Maria Hill being when they ran SHIELD, he was worse. I think more people like the idea of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury than have ever actually liked Ultimate Nick.

Ultimate Nick Fury was definitely that. It's been a while since I read it but I remember that he was either married or had a relationship with this woman he lived with. One day she found some kind of a diary that listed all the women he cheated on her with and it was filled with names of her female friends and relatives like her sister, mother, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

Compared to past Marvel attempts at synergy he isn't so bad. Which really says something about past attempts at synergy.

The patch needs to go. He needs an advanced prosthetic that has X-Ray vision or something...

Most people would have preferred that Marvel just bring over the Ultimate Fury with Miles Morales.

Everyone misses Uatu
    Definite agree about that last part. Marvel events just aren't the same without Uatu there to indicate that something big is about to happen.

I get that Fury is supposed to be the Unseen, but he can at least be shown peaking around the corner once in a blue moon.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Having no shield is probably the other big thing which worked against the character. There's only so much a shield agent can do without shield. He's sort of dead in the water outside the occasional cameo. .

In the least though, it does potentially create a story for him if they ever want to pull the trigger.
    Well if he is going to run S.H.I.E.L.D. he is going to need an idiot second-in-command.

Maria Hill would be perfect for this role.

If he is just going to be a top S.H.I.E.L.D. agent he is going to need an ineffectual boss whose orders he can ignore so he can do awesome stuff.

If he is going to be a top S.H.I.E.L.D. agent he might need a top agent who fell from grace and is reduced to being his sidekick and hating every minute of it.

He could be a disgraced agent on the run from S.H.I.E.I.D. after being framed for murdering another agent. He later discovers that the agent whose murder he was framed for was behind the whole thing and takes them down.

Last edited by Anthony W; 08-02-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    A major factor is what Marvel will do with OG Nick, if anything. My desire would be to see him more involved with the semi-mystic characters in Hickman's minis. As for Nick, Jr., my comments weren't meant to imply he should develop into a SHIELD director, just that he was still at the active operative level. I see where that could be easily inferred in my post, though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    A major factor is what Marvel will do with OG Nick, if anything. My desire would be to see him more involved with the semi-mystic characters in Hickman's minis. As for Nick, Jr., my comments weren't meant to imply he should develop into a SHIELD director, just that he was still at the active operative level. I see where that could be easily inferred in my post, though.
    I know that is not what you meant...but with the talk of synergy I see that happening.

Clunky and unnecessary, but, whatever.

Astonishing Member

He's the new coke of comics.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    He's the new coke of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

Everyone misses Uatu
    His new patch is advanced tech, has X-ray functionality and more.

I don't understand all the "bring over Ultimate Fury comments". He's pretty much the same as classic Nick, except with a Sam Jackson skin. What do we gain from that? Both have similar relationships with the heroes, both are dicks to the point of villiany. At least with Jr you can tell new and different stories.

He feels like an absolutely unnecessary addition thanks to synergy.

Like, the character doesn't seem to have much of a reason to exist other than to have someone who looks like MCU Fury exist in the comics, but he has none of the history, gravitas, position, or relationship with the heroes to warrant calling him Nick Fury. At best he's just another SHIELD Agent and that can only take you so far.

And for all the amount of work they put to introduce him in the comics he's been pretty irrelevant since his debut. Marvel's done more with Coulson than they have with Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Replace SHIELD with whatever government organization is in vogue at the time and go. He can easily go to Force Works, you do the "rogue agent needs to clean up SHIELD's messes" and have him doing stuff on his own, he can join SWORD. Nick Fury Agent of Whatever. Its not that hard.