Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Again, it just seems like Marvel has been sending some mixed messaging regarding what the character's purpose actually is.

The writers my very well have had their own intentions with the character so he would see more original and purposeful than a character who is just there for movie synergy, but his lack of use and being introduced in a mini that included his best buddy who turned out to be Phil Coulson didn't really help matters.
    I don't see how introducing him with Phil Coulson supposedly undercuts him. And you keep referencing his lack of use, but he's been pretty consistently appearing in the books since his introduction. Maybe not the most mainstream titles, but since his introduction he's been in two volumes of Secret Avengers as a lead, was a main character in Paul Cornell's Wolverine mini, had his own fantastic mini series by Robinson, another fantastic mini by Declan Slavey in CW2 and some recent appearances in Punisher. I'm sure they're more I'm not thinking of. And each of these appearance he's there are an agent of SHIELD. Competent but young, dealing with the legacy of his name and what that entails. It's not like sometimes he shows up and he's the director, other times they have him in the field. He's been pretty consistent so I don't understand the mixed messaging.

If the reasoning is he clearly is there because for synergy purposes then ok? It's not like its one or the other. You can have a character in your books that looks like the character in the movies while still deciding you want your book character to fill a different role. The two are not mutually exclusive. Unless I've missed something I don't see the mixed messaging.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

The fact he even exists is pretty ridiculous. He’s the 616 version of the MCU/Ultimate Fury, who’s is already the MCU/Ultimate version of 616 Fury. I was pretty resistant to his existence.

That said, I enjoyed his presence in Kot’s Secret Avengers and the Fury book by Robinson and ACO was good fun.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I haven't seen Nick, Jr. since Secret Avengers. I don't have a problem with him existing but he's not portrayed as on par with either OG 616 Fury or the 1610 one.

OG Fury was witty enough to get people like Reed Richards and Professor X to do his dirty work for him and Ultimate Fury was pretty ruthless. Marcus is portrayed as a yes-man for Maria Hill.

Also if they kept his appearances constant, he would've stuck. I think the Maker appears more than him now and his usefulness is gonna drop more since Marvel is still running the SHIELD is defunct status quo.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I don't see how introducing him with Phil Coulson supposedly undercuts him. And you keep referencing his lack of use, but he's been pretty consistently appearing in the books since his introduction. Maybe not the most mainstream titles, but since his introduction he's been in two volumes of Secret Avengers as a lead, was a main character in Paul Cornell's Wolverine mini, had his own fantastic mini series by Robinson, another fantastic mini by Declan Slavey in CW2 and some recent appearances in Punisher. I'm sure they're more I'm not thinking of. And each of these appearance he's there are an agent of SHIELD. Competent but young, dealing with the legacy of his name and what that entails. It's not like sometimes he shows up and he's the director, other times they have him in the field. He's been pretty consistent so I don't understand the mixed messaging.

If the reasoning is he clearly is there because for synergy purposes then ok? It's not like its one or the other. You can have a character in your books that looks like the character in the movies while still deciding you want your book character to fill a different role. The two are not mutually exclusive. Unless I've missed something I don't see the mixed messaging.
    I don't know if it so much undercuts him as emphasizes what led to his actual existence and make it seem more market driven than creative driven.

I'm not saying he hasn't had good appearances or that they haven't been consistent in using him as a SHIELD agent, just that it seems at odds with how Marvel has promoted/marketed him as. I don't see the point of making him look like movie Fury only for him to not be movie Fury, he would probably stand out more as his own character otherwise.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Yeah it was pretty good. I'd recommend you give it a read if you have the opportunity.

Least it would show you the potential.
    So I created a Captain America and SHIELD read through. The idea was to get through it by the time the Falcon and Winter Soldier came out. I think I'll get through Captain America Vol. 1, but I've added the series to get to eventually.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    OG Fury was witty enough to get people like Reed Richards and Professor X to do his dirty work for him and Ultimate Fury was pretty ruthless. Marcus is portrayed as a yes-man for Maria Hill.
    I'm shocked that Hill hasn't been killed off in a crossover event yet.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Marvel didn't even have the stones to kill off the real Nick Fury, so they limbo'd him instead to go achieve their precious MCU synergy. It's not even like they had Ultimate Fury switch universes like they did with Miles and Spider-Gwen, they just copy-pasted his look onto a new character. At least then they would have traded one established badass for another.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    Marvel didn't even have the stones to kill off the real Nick Fury, so they limbo'd him instead to go achieve their precious MCU synergy. It's not even like they had Ultimate Fury switch universes like they did with Miles and Spider-Gwen, they just copy-pasted his look onto a new character. At least then they would have traded one established badass for another.
    I think this is a bad opinion, Marvel left the original Nick Fury around so he could be used, While creating a character for "synergy" and to capitalize on popularity of the MCU version. There is literally no reason Nick jr and Ultimate Fury don't have the same personality. Nick Fury jr was blank slate it is stories they told after that was bad not the character. Fury isn't badass because they haven't used him as a badass. Fury Jr was their chance show off the James Bond/Howling Commando side of Nick Fury to a new generation and instead he was made a lackey.

Anyways there has been a deemphasis on Shield in general which has hurt Fury Jr and pretty much every shield character as well. IMO Shield should be one of three (or four) pillars of Marvel publishing X-men, Avengers, and Shield (you can argue for FF,cosmic and supernatural marvel but that is an argument another topic). Shield should be home to the peak of street level characters the Hawkeyes, Black Widows,Captain Americas crossing into worlds of the Luke Cages,Daredevils,Iron Fist stuff . Avengers is for Thanos, Galactus, Ultron level etc world ending threats. Shield is for the Hydra, Aim, Hand,etc level global or country size threats where just an agent or group of agents basically street level characters can handle it. Avengers cover the big stuff ,Shield covers everything else. Shield isn't a power player anymore and hasn't been awhile so Nick Fury Jr has no chance for success.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-04-2020 at 12:30 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    So I created a Captain America and SHIELD read through. The idea was to get through it by the time the Falcon and Winter Soldier came out. I think I'll get through Captain America Vol. 1, but I've added the series to get to eventually.
    Fantastic. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

And just because...

nick-fury-jr-marcus-johnson-marvel-james-robinson-aco_-6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Fantastic. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

And just because...

nick-fury-jr-marcus-johnson-marvel-james-robinson-aco_-6.jpg
    This. Nick, Jr. isn't his father, nor is he Ultimate/Samuel J Fury. We will and probably should see aspects of both in Jr., but Jr. is at an earlier point in his career than either of the other Furies. Now getting back to basics and decelerating the "importance" of a story turns a lot of fans off. Once a character has saved the world (or universe) a few times, can more mundane stories be popular or even accepted? There's a place for him as a James Bond level operative where his father was M or higher. And that Robinson series with its monochrome covers and incredible coloring inside was GOLD!

Many of you have complained that Marvel should have brought Ultimate Nick Fury to the main universe in Secret Wars, instead of creating the Marcus guy. But that wasn't an option on the table: Battle Scars is from 2011, and by Secret Wars the deed had already been done. Bringing Ultimate Nick Fury to the Marvel universe would leave 3 Nick Furys in it, and two that look exactly the same. I would have done it anyway, and have Marcus either die or simply retire into oblivion, but I can understand why they preferred not to.

In any case, the recent events in "Venom" may provide a second chance to bring Ultimate Nick Fury and use him as the default one. SHIELD may not be around anymore, but we still have characters with conflicting relations with the government, and we can easily fit Nick Fury in there.

Spectacular Member

I've always thought of him as nothing more than a cheap gimmick who doesn't deserve his position

I like the character. His series a few years ago was good. The art, especially the color was excellent.

All-New Member

I much prefer his father to him. His presence doesn't actively bother me, but I roll my eyes when longtime characters act like they've known him for years and pretend he's a bigger deal than he is. Fury Jr just hasn't made that impact.

If they wanted to eliminate confusion over different versions of Fury, they should have just sent old Nick to limbo and let Maria Hill or Sharon Carter or whoever take over.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    He's a botched attempt at synergy.

They tried replacing 616 Nick with him, but both one cared enough about Marcus to use him regularly.

They basically killed off Uatu and ruined 616 Nick to attempt to bring a mcu version that people basically forgot about overnight. Totally not worth it.
    Totally agree with it not being worth it. I loved OG Nick as a kid when on the Sega Channel, I got to play the Punisher beat 'em up, and liked seeing him in Spidey's animated series and then I started seeing him in more comics. When I first read Battlescars, with Marcus, I liked him and thought he had potential, but by the end with the clumsy synergy attempt I feared that OG Nick's day were numbered, and Original Sin proved my fears. I would have liked Marcus to be his own man, and climb up in some interesting spy stories and be a new generation spy character. To be fair, I never read his stand alone series so he could very well be different from his earliest appearances, but a few of the post mini appearances had people acting like he had a history with them, except for a Wolverine issue where he called him out and said he's not his father.

I love Sam Jackson and movie Fury, but if I'm being honest, I'm sad I'll never see OG Nick in an adaption again. The general public now thinks of Nick looking a certain way, so it could be...prickly and a mess if we have a new animated series or game and he looks like his old self. Even in Ultimate Alliance 3 they went with his movie look despite the past 2 games having the OG Nick. I did like how Wolverine and the X-men & Avengers EoH married his OG and ultimate looks to make something rather nice.

With the Unseen, has eve even shown up again since the end of Original Sin and I think one appearance in Squirrel Girl or something???

(Also, I miss the Watcher from What-Ifs and interacting with the Fantastic Four...)
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.