Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Thoughts on Nick Fury Jr?

Nick Fury Jr is an attempt to use the legacies of Classic Nick and Ultimate Nick and the character fails at both.

His name isn't really "Nick Jr" it's Marcus Johnson. That doesn't strike anyone as weird? Dude dropped a name he used his entire life to honor a father he never really knew?

He is young and has the ability to grow hair...but chooses to be bald? Make no mistake being bald can be cool, but it's usually done as a last resort. If you can still grow a full head of hair, you still grow a full head of hair. Ultimate Nick was bald because he was older and balding and just decided to let it go and go bald.

The eyepatch...sigh. Classic Nick has an eye patch because he is Nick Fury. Ultimate Nick has an eye patch because he is the Nick Fury of the Ultimate Universe.

Why give Marcus...sigh...Nick Fury Jr an eyepatch?! Because the other Fury's have them? Give him an artificial eye, something unique to him.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

he's basically Nick Fury at this point (or didn't they just port the Ultimate Fury over, I forget). It helps with Synergy for everyone who has seen the movies and other multimedia. They even brought Coulson over and changed that relationship.

We can nitpick his origins like how it was done but Marvel's always done things like that. Look how they've made changes to Wakanda, look what they did with Blade years back. They did it with Scarlet witch, Quicksilver and others. I'm sure it will be retconned and smoothed over in years if wasn't already.

By the end of Battle Scars its obvious what the intent was, but given Marvel's history they handled this a little better then usual.
    Last edited by Jabare; 08-02-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

I'm just wondering, have they ever stated where he was during Stevil's Secret Empire?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quite honestly I forgot all about him. Does he appear regularly in any comic these days? I don't see why they couldn't have had both Nick Fury versions in the MU, with the elder Fury being retired. I think his Infinity Serum was wearing out at one point in Original Sin. Really didn't like any of the developments involving Fury in that series at all. I always thought it was weird to just get rid of the original Nick Fury by making him the The Unseen as payback by the other Watchers.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-02-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    he's basically Nick Fury at this point (or didn't they just port the Ultimate Fury over, I forget).
    I wish they would have ported over Ultimate Fury, that character had charisma. Classic Fury is awesome. Ultimate Fury is awesome. Nick Jr tries to fuse the two and fails miserably.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

he's basically Nick Fury at this point (or didn't they just port the Ultimate Fury over, I forget). It helps with Synergy for everyone who has seen the movies and other multimedia. They even brought Coulson over and changed that relationship.

We can nitpick his origins like how it was done but Marvel's always done things like that. Look how they've made changes to Wakanda, look what they did with Blade years back. They did it with Scarlet witch, Quicksilver and others. I'm sure it will be retconned and smoothed over in years if wasn't already.

By the end of Battle Scars its obvious what the intent was, but given Marvel's history they handled this a little better then usual.
    This...and like you said about other movie things...it is why the X-Men started wearing black leather.

Fantastic Member

I think he was a mistake. If they wanted to maintain Synergy, they should have brought Ultimate Fury over with Miles. He still had an air of gravitas about him, and he could have had an interesting perspective as he integrated into the new world. He doesn't have anything that stands out, and by replacing Original Recipe Nick, Marvel also looses out on many of the interesting relationships had built over the decades. I miss his rapport, especially with the Captain America family characters.

Nick, Jr. obviously is using facets of both Ultimate and Samuel J. Nick. But where both OG Nick and Ultimate Nick were higher up on the spy food chain, Nick, Jr. isn't as yet. The Robinson/ACO work on their series was extraordinary and gave a distinct flavor to Nick as a high level operative and not a master espionage wizard using people as chess pieces. When thinking of what OG Nick really would be doing, I go back to Miller and Sienkievicz's Electra mini where Nick is brilliant multi-tasking while on the phone.

We can have both a Nick who's out kicking spy butt and a Nick who is maneuvering the greys of spycraft. Even though the personality and mannerisms of Ultimate Nick might be preferable to OG Nick for many, those can be used by Nick, Jr. OG Nick is a valid character IMO because of his longevity and his brusque unpolished style used sometimes to put people off. Junior and Original Nick both have their places. And OG's isn't as a Watcher.

He's a botched attempt at synergy.

They tried replacing 616 Nick with him, but both one cared enough about Marcus to use him regularly.

They basically killed off Uatu and ruined 616 Nick to attempt to bring a mcu version that people basically forgot about overnight. Totally not worth it.

I actually quite like new Nick. Yes you could've brought over Ultimate Nick, but he's already older and seasoned so you couldn't do any of the cool agent Fury stuff with a character thats ran SHIELD for so long. I hope this Nick stays an agent for as long as possible too so we can see him run some more cool Steranko-esque missions (his series with Robinson and ACO was way too short). Seeing him teaming up with other agents and Avengers in Secret Avengers and the like has been awesome.

As far him adopting a new name, I think its less to honor his father and more that he's claiming a name he never he had that put a huge target on his back. Its his way of turning it around. And re the baldness and eyepatch that was done to him (I wanna say by Scorpio but I can't remember) so I don't think he can actually grow hair anymore. Or maybe after that happened he just realized he's sexier that way. I'm in my early thirties, still can grow hair, just prefer to have it shaved. Its not all that uncommon.

Fury Jr. does kinda fail at the attempt to fuse classic Fury and Ultimate Fury. Marvel doesn't really do reboots but I kinda wish they had used Hickman's Avengers run as an excuse to do it here. I don't think we're gonna get away from the Sam Jackson inspired version of Fury any time soon; that's become the de-facto take on Fury, but trying to introduce a son into the 616 so classic Nick didn't get erased does not seem to have worked out for anyone. I hate rebooting characters and race bending but I almost think it'd have been a better option, considering how poorly the Furys have handled since.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    I think he was a mistake. If they wanted to maintain Synergy, they should have brought Ultimate Fury over with Miles. He still had an air of gravitas about him, and he could have had an interesting perspective as he integrated into the new world. He doesn't have anything that stands out, and by replacing Original Recipe Nick, Marvel also looses out on many of the interesting relationships had built over the decades. I miss his rapport, especially with the Captain America family characters.
    Exactly. He comes off as a Nick Fury cosplayer. Just bring over Ultimate Nick if synergy is that important.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I agree Marvel handled this bit of forced synergy a lot better than some other changes. I also agree with the OP on the topic of his name and the eyepatch. My headcanon is that he uses Nick Fury Jr as an alias in the spy industry for clout and ease. I'm sure he still thinks of himself as Marcus. The gouging of his eye so that he can have an eyepatch was just stupid writing but I get it. I'd love to see him obtain a cool multifunction gadget prosthetic eye in the future. Hell, make it in the shape of an eyepatch and keep the same design esthetic! I'm just glad they didn't truly kill off Nick Fury Sr. at the end of Original Sin. They can always bring him back with a good story. The really sad thing is that no one has done much with either character in such a while. I would've added him to a team book by now to keep him relevant. He should be everywhere now that SHIELD is gone. Why isn't he working with Black Panther, the FF, Cap, Iron Man, etc.?

When is the last time Fury appeared up in recent comics?

That last Fury series wasn't bad, made him out to be more like James Bond. I liked the art style. That had to be at least 4 or 5 years back, I think.

New readers and casual readers are just going to see Nick Fury, so in that sense it works, especially with how they've been pushing him in cartoons and other multimedia over the years. Hardcore comic readers, who care deeply about continuity, might nitpick inconsistencies. That's not gonna change until they soft retcon it a few years down the line, what with Marvel's moving timelines. Ironically, most characters will be okay with just swapping their years, but then you've got characters like Magneto or Blue Marvel that are tied to specific points in history. They either keep getting older, and their powers give them longer lifespans, or you retcon them. Cap is an exception since he's frozen and can be revived, whenever.
    The J-man

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I think it was in the War Machine arc in Punisher from a couple years ago.