Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is it fair to say current Silver Surfer is as fast as post crisis Wally West?

Since he hasn't had a time travelling (on speed alone) feat in what? 20 years?how much time has to expire before a fairly well published character like Surfers feats are revaluated ? Does it not seem like a power he no longer displays like super-ventriloquism or whatever?

Isn't it fairer to say "Classic Surfer" like "Classic Strange" when referring to his speed feats? We dont hold Hulk and Thor (or surfer) to their 60s power levels despite no explicit power ups till the mid 2000s.....so why hold surfer to his old speed feats?

He actually time traveled on speed alone in 2015. Went fast enough to flee into the timestream in an effort to escape the multiversal destruction wave of Secret Wars.

And again in 2017 if, how best to put it, incompetently.

In that he overshot so hard he ended up in the previous universe before it ended because of "time currents" or some such.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 08-01-2020 at 01:02 AM.

Okay! Thanks for the info! I didnt know

Basically writers will come along here and there that remember he can, and he busts out the move.

If he doesn't in another 20 years and we're not all living in Mad Max times due to socipoliticalenvironmental collapse we can maybe re-evaluate then ;p
    Last edited by Pendaran; 08-01-2020 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Basically writers will come along here and there that remember he can, and he busts out the move.

If he doesn't in another 20 years and we're not all living in Mad Max times due to socipoliticalenvironmental collapse we can maybe re-evaluate then ;p
    As far as I know he travels in time by accessing a dimension where all timelines meet as per SS v3. Its not really a speed feat in strict terms.

I'm not sure what the board's rules are but even The Ray has travelled through time like Surfer has done. I don't think he is as fast as Wally.
    Last edited by Superfan90; 08-01-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    As far as I know he travels in time by accessing a dimension where all timelines meet as per SS v3. Its not really a speed feat in strict terms.
    He moves into the time stream by going real fast, sure it is. He accesses it by, going real fast. It's analogous just fine.

He moves into the time stream by going real fast, sure it is. He accesses it by, going real fast. It's analogous just fine.
    No, not really. Surfer goes sideways (through a dimensional realm where all time intersect) rather than through the time stream.

That's the last explanation for how he travels through time as far as I know.

You understand even in your scans he does this by zipping around really really fast until the point that he is breaching dimensional barriers via speed?

You understand even in your scans he does this by zipping around really really fast until the point that he is breaching dimensional barriers via speed?
    Yes, I know. But breaching dimensional barriers is different from time travel through speed. BTW, The Ray has actually traveled through time just like Surfer.

https://postimg.cc/LnY7gcs4
    https://postimg.cc/ZCGQ8w98
    https://postimg.cc/Xr9zQ9FT

Hal, Arisia and another Lantern travel through time via speed post Crisis.

I wouldn't call them as fast as Wally.
    Last edited by Superfan90; 08-01-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Yes, I know. But breaching dimensional barriers is different from time travel through speed. BTW, The Ray has actually traveled through time just like Surfer.

https://postimg.cc/LnY7gcs4
    Just to say, this speed feat is pretty ridiculous.

Ray circles the Sun about seven times in what seems like a few seconds based on how the... giant... flaming child...(?) is reacting.

If assume he did it in 5 seconds for argument's sake and then do the maths, he's going like 20 times the speed of light there. Did not know the Ray was that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Just to say, this speed feat is pretty ridiculous.

Ray circles the Sun about seven times in what seems like a few seconds based on how the... giant... flaming child...(?) is reacting.

If assume he did it in 5 seconds for argument's sake and then do the maths, he's going like 20 times the speed of light there. Did not know the Ray was that fast.
    He isn't actually. He is limited to lightspeed.

One more example. Post Crisis Mon-El travels through time via speed.

https://postimg.cc/mzSwHSvS

Mind you, this version of Mon El got beaten up by Byrne era Superman.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

He isn't actually. He is limited to lightspeed.
    I mean, you can say that he's limited to lightspeed.

But the feat flatly shows him going faster than lightspeed.

For reference, if he was limited to lightspeed him travelling around the sun that many times would have taken just over a minute and a half.

Yes, I know.
    Your entire presence in this thread is to argue this is an inferior performance, so no, I don't really think you do.

The Surfer has on other occasions explicitly said that what he does is go ftl and thereby pierces the very veil of time itself, in those words.

Post Crisis Mon-El travels through time via speed.
    And thus Byrne Superman is an FTL planet mover right?

That's also not reaaally "post crisis" Mon El, in terms of the Legion's chronological issues.

But setting that aside

A speed time travel showing not based in what you're going on about:

https://imgur.com/a/h65mgNh

This is the Surfer, explicitly talking about time travel as something he does via speed, and that navigating the currents of time is something he has to do, via speed. It fits just fine