Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I also never thought Lobdell was a bad writer (though I didn't like his Excalibur) I thought his X-Men was fine. Even great at times. Generatiom X is given.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 08-02-2020 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Not because I'm imitating my stuttering.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I also never thought Lobdell was a bad writer (though I didn't like his Excalibur) I thought his X-Men was fine. Even great at times. Generatiom X is given.
    He was a great writer and yes his Gen X was amazing

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The big publicly-known points of disagreement I remember reading about - though they may not be the ones that drove Waid off the book - were:

- Waid wanted to write that callback to X-Men #3 and Xavier's crush on Jean. Lobdell thought this was something that should not be brought up again.
    - Waid wanted Onslaught to be purely the manifestation of Xavier's dark side, while in the final version Lobdell and others added that bit about Onslaught being partly a manifestation of Magneto, so it wouldn't all be Xavier's fault.

I have to say that though Waid is a better writer, I think Lobdell was right on both counts. Xavier being in love with Jean was something that was abandoned after one panel (from a time when Lee and Kirby probably hadn't even decided how old Xavier was) and should not have been dredged up as a plot point, and trying to demonize Xavier is something that I'm not a fan of, even though I'm also not a fan of portraying him as a saintly figure.
    I hate to bring it up again, but Claremont in his early run brought up the fact that Xavier had feelings for Jean. It was in issue where Jean is in the hospital after landing the shuttle and Xavier thinks to himself that he once thought he loved Jean as much as he loved Moira.

Also there was another issue in the original run (in the 40's I think but can't recall the exact issue) where Scott is jealous of the time Xavier and Jean are spending together and Scott wonders if Xavier has feelings for Jean.

Now I agree that it was something best left alone, but I'm just saying Waid wasn't the first to bring it back up but he was the first in a very long time to do so. It definitely brought a problematic element to Xavier but... at least in the Onslaught story it was acknowledged that it was a dark thought Xavier had and one he repressed and wasn't ever going to act on.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I hate to bring it up again, but Claremont in his early run brought up the fact that Xavier had feelings for Jean. It was in issue where Jean is in the hospital after landing the shuttle and Xavier thinks to himself that he once thought he loved Jean as much as he loved Moira.

Also there was another issue in the original run (in the 40's I think but can't recall the exact issue) where Scott is jealous of the time Xavier and Jean are spending together and Scott wonders if Xavier has feelings for Jean.

Now I agree that it was something best left alone, but I'm just saying Waid wasn't the first to bring it back up but he was the first in a very long time to do so. It definitely brought a problematic element to Xavier but... at least in the Onslaught story it was acknowledged that it was a dark thought Xavier had and one he repressed and wasn't ever going to act on.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah I slightly misremembered. He actually says it out loud to Moira lol

LOL She looks like she just bit into a lemon and no wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Onslaught happened, that was enough.
    This made me LOL.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm still keen on a proper, long X-Men run by Mark Waid one day, free of editorial interference and conflicts with other writers. I'm not holding my breath as with Dan DiDio gone, I think Mark's focus will shift back to DC for the foreseeable future, but maybe one day

Extraordinary Member

These are my opinions as well as far as his contributions to the X-line goes.

He was a great writer! His Wolverine run was amazing. As was Generation X.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    I think that you mean his take on Wolverine, he never had a run in his solo.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    I thought I was in the early stages of going senile when I read this, but...

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I think that you mean his take on Wolverine, he never had a run in his solo.
    ... then I realized this is probably what he meant.

I for the most part enjoyed Lobdell's take on the X-Men as there was no silly love triangle between Logan/Jean/ and Cyclops during his tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    well I knew there was a reason I didn't like him. this explains the sh!tty writing of storm when he was on the xmen.
    Lobdell telling someone else how to behave is just rich, knowing that the guy was a sexual harasser for years, and used his position in the comics industry to get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I thought I was in the early stages of going senile when I read this, but...

... then I realized this is probably what he meant.

I for the most part enjoyed Lobdell's take on the X-Men as there was no silly love triangle between Logan/Jean/ and Cyclops during his tenure.
    But then we got stuck with the silly love triangle between Remy/Rogue/ and Joseph.

Mark Waid: Great Writer but ill-suited for X-MEN. More of an AVENGERS guy.
    Scott Lobdell: Mediocre writer with flashes of greatness usually when playing out melodrama or emotional beats. The teen angst of GENERATION X played to his strengths.