Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Oh i'm sure it's a great play and i would love to watch it, expecially on Broadway you lucky bastard.

But an actual part of the HP canon? No, nope, nooooooooo, can't do.
    I started taking trips to New York in 2018, and every time I go I catch something on Broadway. This year I missed it of course thanks to Covid shutting Broadway down, and NY being a hot spot.

But yeah, I was deeply into the "This shouldn't exist period!" crowd before I saw it, and was even hesitant to buy the tickets. I ended up doing so though because I wanted to judge it for myself, and I was surprised by a lot of it. I still disregard it as HP canon too though lol.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

If we ever get the 5th Indiana Jones movie I wonder how it will address Crystal Skull. It will be unavoidable even how old Harrison Ford is now.

I wish that one of the Rambo sequels acknowledge Rambo 3 because I want to know how the character feels about training a group that will eventually become the Taliban

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think that the only really solid way to say a sequel or continuation is easy to ignore is if it’s eventually a non-factor in the franchise going forward - either because it’s box office take was underwhelming enough or long enough ago that it’s been rebooted or repackaged, or if the property moves on and just never references it again.

And that can go *both* ways; if you want to ignore one side of the Star Trek alternate reality split or the other, you now have a vehicle for that.

I’d say this can go from very clear, bitter, and insistent denunciations of previous entries - like the relationship the various Terminator films after T2 have to each other - to more subtle and ambiguously ignored entries - Iron Man 3, for instance.

IM3 is the one case where I’m curious what everyone else thinks - if it can be excepted as an example of an easy-to-skip movie, than we have one end of the scale vs the more clearly defined endpoint with hard continuity reboots and relaunches.

I mean, the most visible changes in that film that actually seem to have stuck would be what model of armor Tony’s on, and him not needing the arc reactor in his chest anymore. Everything else seems to be a total non-factor going forward - Pepper doesn’t have her Extremis powers, Killian’s not been mentioned again and his Mandarin ID is being taken away totally, and all the other events of the film are kind of unnecessary to know. Thor: The Dark World is more concretely tied to the MCU, thanks to Loki’s character arc and it’s importance to Endgame, even though TDW has a similarly poor reputation.

Unless Shang Chi’s new Mandarin references Killian, nothing major from this movie would ever be required watching for MCU audiences.

Thoughts?
    If we had like buttons, I'd be pressing it.

While some installments may not be built off of in later ones, I think there's still the psychological knowledge that X happened, so it can "contaminate" the whole. For example, for all the Star Wars fans who didn't like sequel trilogy Luke, rewatches of the original films will now have the added angle of knowing what will happen to him later. That's why I think people get mad when new installments don't do what they want, even when they can just ignore those movies, episodes, or whatever.

Have also noted that fans tend to use continuity errors to claim non-canon or whatever. Case in point, the Transformers movie Bumblebee didn't mesh very well with the previous films, leading to the general opinion that it was non-canon (although it seemed like it was more to "protect" it from the Michael Bay movies then the other way round).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Have also noted that fans tend to use continuity errors to claim non-canon or whatever. Case in point, the Transformers movie Bumblebee didn't mesh very well with the previous films, leading to the general opinion that it was non-canon (although it seemed like it was more to "protect" it from the Michael Bay movies then the other way round).
    Or just a full-on reboot.

Alien film series after Aliens, I stress film because there have been some good comics.
    Terminator series after Judgement Day, though funnily I would have been fine if the Sarah Connor Chronicles had been canon, but since it's unfinished...
    Dragon Ball GT (super was trending this way, but universal survival arc was decent)
    Boruto (was more than done with Naruto after it finished)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer Movie, I'm not even sure if this is canon, but since she's already a vampire slayer at the start of the show I guess it's still her origin. Easily ignored.
    Scrubs the college season. I think this was meant to be a spin-off, a bad spin-off.
    Not really a series that relies on continuity but that Ren and Stimpy remake. Best to forget it even existed.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 08-04-2020 at 04:03 AM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or just a full-on reboot.
    Wasn't that supposed to be one until they changed it at the last moment?

The soundtrack of Lion King 2 is as good as the first film. The incestuous story stunk and can be ingnored. The soundtrack was pure gold, Noone can ignore the music if they love Disney songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    The soundtrack of Lion King 2 is as good as the first film. The incestuous story stunk and can be ingnored. The soundtrack was pure gold, Noone can ignore the music if they love Disney songs.
    I mean 'he lives in you' was put into the Broadway Lion King for a reason, it's damn good
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I mean 'he lives in you' was put into the Broadway Lion King for a reason, it's damn good
    I wholly agree.

Not One Of Us (Deception) was the best.

The later films and TV series do pretty much heavily borrow visually from TMP though. The Klingons of course are the biggest ones-the ridges, the outfits and the dark brown interiors of their ships, for example (Except for III, but that might be because it was intended to be a Romulan ship at first). The warp thing being a big tube, the design of the corridors etc. although in many cases it's because it's the same basic set, just redressed. Kirk's quarters in TWOK is also the same set as TMP, just lit differently, and the bridge layout is also similar (But also more darkly lit) although Spock's station is at it's more traditional place rather than behind Kirk as it was in TMP.

And of course the TMP theme was reused for TNG and also revived for TFF, and I'm pretty sure it made appearances in several of the TNG movies. (I don't think the fanfare is ever heard in TMP strangely enough, although of course a rather slow, darker version of the TOS theme does show up).

There's a pretty interesting fan theory that Spock's meld with V'ger and his epiphany is why he seems a bit warmer in at least some of the movies (III and IV his memories are slightly jumbled so he's pretty much back to unemotional but II, V, VI and the Kelvinverse seems to show him be a bit more laid back than in TOS).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-04-2020 at 06:50 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Wasn't that supposed to be one until they changed it at the last moment?
    It basically is at the end of the day, they were just never all that clear on it.

It's possible Indiana Jones V might actually kill Marion off-screen and have Mutt moved on with his own family or something. That's how they did it with Rocky. Adrian died off-screen, and Rocky had also lost Paulie and was estranged from his son again by CREED (Although his son showed up in Creed 2). (Both Talia Shire and Burt Young are both still alive in real life though).

That's also kind of how they explained Sean Connery and Denholm Elliot not being in Crystal Skull, although Connery was alive and offered a role (Which *might* have evolved into Oxley) he retired from acting except for the occasional voice-acting role.

Niffleheim

Holland's Spider-Man standalone movies i have found so easy to ignore and i don't feel like i'm missing anything.
    Never watched any Terminator movies after Judgement Day
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-04-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Sorry to jump back into Star Trek again, but I think Gene Roddenberry considered Star Trek V to be "apocryphal". Then again, he never really seemed to like the post-TMP movies in general, although reportedly he had enough creative input in VI that they changed the traitor character from Saavik to a new character, Valeris (Hence why Valeris is pretty much almost identical to Saavik in many ways. Meyer even wanted to get Kirstie Alley back on board too)

Don't really lose much with getting V out anyway. If anything there's a lot of continuity between IV and VI with Brock Peters, Mark Lenard and John Schuck returning, as well as a president of the Federation having a fairly significant role, and Kirk's actions from III and IV still playing a major part in the narrative.

The Halloween franchise has done this like four times. The third one exists as failed attempt at an anthology series, Halloween: H20 ignored the 4th-6th movies aside from a deleted scene, the Rob Zombie films were in their own continuity, and Halloween (2018) ignores everything but the first film.