Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Star Wars: sequel trilogy. The sequel trilogy did not add anything to the saga. You can leave things ending with Return of the Jedi and would loose nothing.Nothing at all.

Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

Superman 3 and 4. Both movies are so erased that Superman Returns called itself a sequel to Superman 2
    Agreed. And with all Terminator films after Terminator 2.

Also, Neverending Story 2 and 3 can be ignored. I mercifully didn't even know the third even existed until hearing about it on TV Tropes. It's like one of those horrible fanfictions where everyone's written ridiculously out of character and singing rock songs for no reason, only done as an actual movie. Best to be ignored.

Highlander 2, of course, but we've been saying THAT since the early 90's at least. It's kind of like beating a dead horse by now.

Galactica 1980 has been ignored by fans of Battlestar Galactica Classic since even before the early 90's. Comic book continuations of Battlestar Galactica Classic have also ignored it.

Going back further, Trail of the Pink Panther and Curse of the Pink Panther - Blake Edwards' poor attempts to continue the franchise after Peter Sellers' death.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    Agreed. And with all Terminator films after Terminator 2.

Also, Neverending Story 2 and 3 can be ignored. I mercifully didn't even know the third even existed until hearing about it on TV Tropes. It's like one of those horrible fanfictions where everyone's written ridiculously out of character and singing rock songs for no reason, only done as an actual movie. Best to be ignored.

Highlander 2, of course, but we've been saying THAT since the early 90's at least. It's kind of like beating a dead horse by now.

Galactica 1980 has been ignored by fans of Battlestar Galactica Classic since even before the early 90's. Comic book continuations of Battlestar Galactica Classic have also ignored it.

Going back further, Trail of the Pink Panther and Curse of the Pink Panther - Blake Edwards' poor attempts to continue the franchise after Peter Sellers' death.
    Superman 3 and 4 are hard to argue with since it's not us that dumped them from continuity but the WB itself. Although Legends of Tomorrow snuck in a remark that puts 3 back into continuity for CW purposes.

Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 are harder to argue since they are overwhelmingly popular albeit essentially a remake of the original trilogy in the sense of being more rehash.

Highlander 2 is pretty much the poster movie for being thrown out and ignored, not just for being horrible but for rewriting the established facts not just a little bit but overwhelmingly. I had renamed it the Sickening before it was even over thinking I was clever only to find that almost everybody thought of that.

Back when they were planning a new BG, they hadn't decided whether to do a remake or a continuation. Obviously they went with a remake but, even while considering a continuation, they threw out BG 1980.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or just a full-on reboot.
    Yeah, that seems to be the general opinion (or at least what the vocal viewers seem to want) -- although the Powers That Be seem to waffle on whether it's a reboot or a very inconsistent prequel.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Retired

The thing about STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE is everyone looks so pretty in that picture. It would seem heartless to throw out those good looks.

If we're being staunch to the idea of what is legitimately safe to ignore and not just picking based on like/dislike, Halloween comes to mind. Because they've genuinely erased canon in that franchise twice. You're outright told by the different continuities that you're allowed to pick and choose.

Franchises with deep enough lore that would allow the jumping far ahead or back in time can also allow for this. Star Wars for instance. If they wanted to forget about the sequels they technically could if they focused their efforts in the future on an entirely different time where very little to nothing about those films would be relevant anymore.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-05-2020 at 05:47 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If we're being staunch to the idea of what is legitimately safe to ignore, Halloween comes to mind. Because they've genuinely erased canon in that franchise twice. You're outright allowed to pick and choose.

Franchises with deep enough lore that would allow the jumping far ahead or back in time can also allow for this. Star Wars for instance. If they wanted to forget about the sequels they techincally could if they focused their efforts in the future on an entirely different time where very little to nothing about those films would be relevant anymore.
    I personally contend that only Halloween 3 Season of the Witch is continuity.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I have a deep fondness for HIGHLANDER 2, really don't get the hate it gets. I appreciate that it just went in a totally different direction, and reads pretty well as an alternate timeline. Everything after that can be ignored.

ROBOCOP 3

MIB 2 and 3 (the first one holds up so damn well)

BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN AND ROBIN
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-05-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Most Terminator films (including Sarah Connor Chronicles) because of how much recent sequels/continuations ignore or override previous installments either by just creative intent or time travel shenanigans.
    SALVATION is the only one I liked outside of the first 2 flicks. They should have just run with that timeline instead of trying to go back and tread over the same storyline. You're never going to top T2, so just do something else ya know?
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-05-2020 at 08:46 PM.