Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hollywood Reporter Article On Bryan Singer

The Hollywood Reporter has an article on the many indiscretions Bryan Singer committed on the set of the X-Men movies as well his connections to people who have also been accused of sexual assault. Warning for discussions of rape and sexual assault.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...onster-1305081

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

craziness. Like why would they keep bringing him back. I swear, thats the issue with big budget hollywood, the pull from the same small pool of directors.

And as someone was qouted in the report, there is definitely a double standard when it comes to abuse and that females young and old are taken more seriously and taken care of far better than males when it happens to them. But of course that gets into societal issues where men are supposed to be big, strong stong, keep emotions and **** inside, never express weakness, so the idea of dealing with them being put in positions where they are abused, people just don't wanna hear it.

BANNED

He is the Roman Polanski of comic book directors. It was reported this year again that he was still carrying on in this behaviour.

Joss Whedon looks like a saint standing next to Singer.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-03-2020 at 09:42 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    craziness. Like why would they keep bringing him back. I swear, thats the issue with big budget hollywood, the pull from the same small pool of directors.
    He was nearly caught and arrested and done with in 2004. What he did was to hide behind DOFP , everyone became all about the film and just forgot about the serious accusations that was brought up around the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    He was nearly caught and arrested and done with in 2004. What he did was to hide behind DOFP , everyone became all about the film and just forgot about the serious accusations that was brought up around the time.
    And while he is scummy AF obviously, we definitely don't need to let things just wash over anyone who enabled him to do what he did. I feel like a **** ton of that is going on as well.

BANNED

And while he is scummy AF obviously, we definitely don't need to let things just wash over anyone who enabled him to do what he did. I feel like a **** ton of that is going on as well.
    Sorry make that 2014 not 2004. The me too women started in 2017. No where left for him to hide.

What I don't understand is how he kept coming back. I can only point to an R Kelly situation. The Fox executives ignored the accusations as long as his movies was making them money.

Sorry make that 2014 not 2004. The me too women started in 2017. No where left for him to hide.

What I don't understand is how he kept coming back. I can only point to an R Kelly situation. The Fox executives ignored the accusations as long as his movies was making them money.
    Oh that is of course the answer. Its very much the same in sports how you can have a guy be an absolute trash person (See Antonio Brown) but as long as they produce on the field, their behavior will be excused. (to a point anyway, again see AB as someone who went beyond the threshold, but so many players are still playing when they have done lots of ill ****)

I would just hope that in this day an age as things are changing, iceberg melting pace, but some change none the less, that we can go after the enablers as well as the Singers. Maybe I am just being naiive in this regard. I just want everyone who needs to be punished, to be punished with no one getting to skate by.

I know it's obvious to just say "the real reason is $$$", but it really goes to show the importance of making sure even big mega corporations and studios align their staff and their goals with their standards. Pursuit of profit is the inherent goal (of course), but saying, "eh, we can overlook this as long as we get richer" is not alignment, but rather drifting away -- it's short term gain, but at the cost of so many lives and perpetuating that harm.

Not sure what change will look like. Hollywood has been doing this for more than a century. Hell, the entire studio system for example. Hitchock was known for tormenting people on set, women in particular. Preminger, same thing. Its abuse whether or not its physical, you know. Orson Welles. There are others. Do you just throw out their films or take them as they are - works of greatness made by scumbags?

Not sure it really is getting better in any demonstrable way, or that people are just getting caught more often now. The background problem seems to still be there.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I remember back when MeToo first started waiting for the shoe to drop on Singer given stuff I've read up about him dating back to 1998 with Apt Pupil and earlier.

Ultimate Member

Funny thing, there’s been public rumors around Singer since when Superman Returns released but they were largely ignored by the public. Hollywood is unfortunately a very, very immoral place where the worst sort of abuse happens and people turn a blind eye to it because of the almighty dollar.

Singer is completely toxic and yet he still got so many large gigs. It says a lot about the culture of the entertainment industry. And let’s not kid ourselves, this **** is still happening to this day.
    Last edited by Username taken; 08-03-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Boisterously Confused

And as someone was qouted in the report, there is definitely a double standard when it comes to abuse and that females young and old are taken more seriously and taken care of far better than males when it happens to them. But of course that gets into societal issues where men are supposed to be big, strong stong, keep emotions and **** inside, never express weakness, so the idea of dealing with them being put in positions where they are abused, people just don't wanna hear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I know it's obvious to just say "the real reason is $$$", but it really goes to show the importance of making sure even big mega corporations and studios align their staff and their goals with their standards. Pursuit of profit is the inherent goal (of course), but saying, "eh, we can overlook this as long as we get richer" is not alignment, but rather drifting away -- it's short term gain, but at the cost of so many lives and perpetuating that harm.
    As others have said, Hollywood has enabled...hell...Hollywood has been this since before talkies. Any circumstance loaded with huge $$$, attracting people desperate to be part of it, is also going to attract the worse of human predators. I suppose I'm more cynical than Cyke, but I don't know if there can be any aligning with higher standards. In the end, the capital owners will want their returns, and the creators that can deliver it will be given as much leeway as necessary for as long as they can get away with it.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Of course we have to remember that this situation was not like the other allegations. This one in 2014 before the Me Too movement was proven to be false and it was said Singer proved he wasn't even in country at the time this happened. In fact here was the article where the guy had to drop the case. (one of his attorney's quit as he learned he was lying)

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...singer-n190756

As twisted as this sounds the studios (not just Fox) may have thought , ok if a straight director had these settlements and complaints would we stick by them ? It could look bad on us all if we drop him and where he's gay.

Of course they should have really cut off the relationship after the reports after the 1st X-Men film hit. That once these reports of settlements and complaints arrived they should have never had him back for X2. Let alone wait a few years later and bring him back yet again !

It appears that the only case Singer is really innocent of is the 2014 situation and that guy later went to jail for investment fraud as well in 2015.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Hollywood and really the entertainment industry is filled with terrible people that fans or those working within those industries just either looked the other way, made excuses for, or outright forgave.

Roman Polanski. Woody Allen. Sean Penn. Tupac Shakur. Mike Tyson. Mel Gibson. Kobe Bryant. Ben Roethlisberger. That's not even the tip of the tip of the iceberg!

As long as you have talent, it seems there will be a strong willingness to forgive. Bryan Singer appears to have been no different.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    As others have said, Hollywood has enabled...hell...Hollywood has been this since before talkies. Any circumstance loaded with huge $$$, attracting people desperate to be part of it, is also going to attract the worse of human predators. I suppose I'm more cynical than Cyke, but I don't know if there can be any aligning with higher standards. In the end, the capital owners will want their returns, and the creators that can deliver it will be given as much leeway as necessary for as long as they can get away with it.
    This is a human problem, not simply because of capitalism. Power attracts groups who want to retain their power, Hollywood is just an obvious example of it. Corruption and those who enable it as a tale as old as time.