Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I remember back when it was announced that Amy J. Berg was making her documentary about the abuse of children in the film industry (An Open Secret), and Bryan Singer would be a topic of it. Considering Berg's previous documentary regarding the abuse in the Catholic Church, and it being nominated for an Academy Award, some thought it would be the final nail in the coffin for Singer. Yet despite the documentary, the MeToo movement, and the constant rumors, Singer seems to always skirt by. There's even speculation that Singer got an actor, Noah Galvin, blacklisted in the industry for calling him out during an interview (that part could be true or false though, since in the same interview Galvin made idiotic comments about another gay actor).

Astonishing Member

As others have said, people overlook talent. Singer is (or was) fairly attractive back then--which also provided reasonable doubt that a good looking person would need to abuse their position in order to sleep with someone else. Good Looking/Talented --> People just assume that people are throwing themselves at person and they can't help it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    He is the Roman Polanski of comic book directors. It was reported this year again that he was still carrying on in this behaviour.

Joss Whedon looks like a saint standing next to Singer.
    Lol so true,I was furious they brought him to do DoFP (I wanted Matthew Vaughn to continue after how well he did with First Class)and funny enough the story of the accusers came out around that very time,the fact that he directed Apocalypse after all that just beats logic. He probably had a lot of studio execs looking the other way.Kinda makes me wonder how deep the dirt runs in Hwood

This is gross and not so shocking. Singer has a problem. The media choosing to separate the man from his films revisiting the 20th anniversary of the first X-Men was the best way to do things.

We must cancel the paedophile directors or actors, however their body of work should still stand on its on terms. He was talented and good at his job but the lifestyle has overshadowed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Hollywood and really the entertainment industry is filled with terrible people that fans or those working within those industries just either looked the other way, made excuses for, or outright forgave.

Roman Polanski. Woody Allen. Sean Penn. Tupac Shakur. Mike Tyson. Mel Gibson. Kobe Bryant. Ben Roethlisberger. That's not even the tip of the tip of the iceberg!

As long as you have talent, it seems there will be a strong willingness to forgive. Bryan Singer appears to have been no different.
    I was so disgusted earlier this year after rapist Kobe Bryant died how everyone started mourning him and doing tributes to him. He is and will always be a rapist who got away with it by making his victims life such a personal hell in the media and public that she ran away from the trial in fear.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I was so disgusted earlier this year after rapist Kobe Bryant died how everyone started mourning him and doing tributes to him. He is and will always be a rapist who got away with it by making his victims life such a personal hell in the media and public that she ran away from the trial in fear.
    Did he pay off his victim, like he paid off the wife? Kobe Bryant was truly a POS of the highest order.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Did he pay off his victim, like he paid off the wife? Kobe Bryant was truly a POS of the highest order.
    It always surprises me me how much we're suprised when it turns out that people so full of ambition and thrist for fame that they clawed their way to the top of a mountain, usually over the broken bodies of scores of like-minded folk, turn out to be unpleasant. Superheroes are fiction, not reality.

Wtf, How is Kobe being mentioned with Bryan Singer. Hes been accused of the same **** for 20years. Kobe was accused by one women, who had to drop the case because it was not looking good for her and her lawyers were worried if would damage her civil case. There was more then enough to cast a shadow of doubt. The case went on for a year before it was dropped so of course he just paid her off in Civil court to get it over with, rather then draging on.

He may very well have raped that women. But it's equally likely they had sex and she came up with a plan to get some money. People talking so definitively about someone off something like that is just silly.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Wtf, How is Kobe being mentioned with Bryan Singer. Hes been accused of the same **** for 20years. Kobe was accused by one women, who had to drop the case because it was not looking good for her and her lawyers were worried if would damage her civil case. There was more then enough to cast a shadow of doubt. The case went on for a year before it was dropped so of course he just paid her off in Civil court to get it over with, rather then draging on.

He may very well have raped that women. But it's equally likely they had sex and she came up with a plan to get some money. People talking so definitively about someone off something like that is just silly.
    That's not the entire story. You neglected to mention how someone was illegally leaking details about the accuser to the media and how the media was reporting these details despite there being laws in place specifically designed to prevent such a thing, and then of course the leaking of the accuser's actual name which is also very illegal. Then of course there was the apology letter Bryant wrote to the accuser where he more or less admitted to the crime and his statement to the media about how he could understand how the accuser thought it was rape.

Only she and Kobe truly know/knew what happened in that room but based on what was presented it certainly didn't sound like a normal, consensual act.

I don't want to get way off track with this, because I agree that what Singer has been accused of for decades is worse than the single act Kobe was accused of. But it doesn't make Kobe any less of a terrible person or change my point that we tend to forgive & overlook terrible acts committed by celebrities in the name of talent & fandom.