Default Hellboy: The Roleplaying Game

All-New Member

My first thought was "But who gets to play Hellboy? And won't they be having, you know, a lot more fun than the other players?"

Most games of this nature, based on source material with very prominent main characters, take the approach where no player gets to play the "star of the story" because everyone has to play original characters. Title characters are NPCs only, if they show up at all, and you're really just playing in the universe, not playing as the established team. The excellent Prince Valiant Storytelling Game works this way, as does the Conan game that the designer of this new Hellboy RPG worked on.

I hope we will see options for playing versions of the classic BPRD team—Red, Liz, Abe, Roger, and Kate, at least. It just seems like a missed opportunity if you can't play those characters.

On the other hand, it would also seem to me to be a big problem if there aren't also options for playing (say) a team of BPRD grunts who've been sent out to investigate odd goings-on without the backup of the superheroic famous agents.

I wonder whether they might even treat these two options as separate game modes, for different types or levels of play—because playing original creations with a regular-person power level in the Mignolaverse sounds like a lot of fun to me—but it doesn't sound nearly as fun if the player to your left is Hellboy.

All-New Member

From what I understand, it's designed to work with the Miniatures from the Board Game (which I really hope they continue to make with more BPRD Expansions! I'd love to have a Ben Daimio Mini!) and you can either create your own character, from six available "Classes" or play as Established characters like Hellboy, or Abe, or Liz. I backed the Kickstarter for the Board Game and will definitely back this RPG as well.

Maybe I am mad!

For once some good news
    When the board game was first announced I was actually more hoping for a RPG, but lived in hope they would venture out down that route later - glad they have.
    In terms of above - the game will use 5e (that is D&D) rules but tweaked to fit the HB universe. They have been playtesting this and Mantic/Red Scar believe their rules choice has gone down well with play testers - if I think back, I remember a call for play testers for a secret project, since it's down south, no way I could have taken part.

Miniatures - if you got the board game, they are happy for you to use them. It's not essential, but of course it is an added bonus.

The board game dice can also be used - there is a mechanic to help incorporate them.

I believe they will have both options in terms of PCs - they know some would want to play the classic ones, but also there will be character generation (like any D&D game) to make unique agents of the BPRD.
    Anyways, less me explaining, better to read their own words - blog posts by Mantic

https://www.manticgames.com/news/hel...e-an-overview/
    https://www.manticgames.com/news/hel...ow-doom-works/
    “Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons.” -- Hellboy.
    “Dude, you’re embarrassing me in front of the Wizards.” -- Tony Stark.

The Kickstarter has begun, about 25 mins ago and is currently on £16k of a 30k goal. There will be stretch goals according to Mantic.

Some sample pledge levels:
    Field Agent - £30 gets you the main book and a pdf copy.
    Team Leader - £75 gets you book/pdf, GM screen, dice and a carry bag.

I went with £30 and have added money to get the GM screen and dice later - each at £12.50. Dice are KS exclusive.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-next-chapter/

And the free Quick Start can be found here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ame-Quickstart

All-New Member

It's defintely picked up a lot of steam. The fact they've also included a tease of More Hellboy Board Game models (particularly the Painted Hellboy Model holding Excalibur) makes me think my dream of having Ben Daimio as a character in the board game may come to fruition.

The sad thing is, I really don't have anyone to play with

Quote Originally Posted by BKole View Post
    It's defintely picked up a lot of steam. The fact they've also included a tease of More Hellboy Board Game models (particularly the Painted Hellboy Model holding Excalibur) makes me think my dream of having Ben Daimio as a character in the board game may come to fruition.

The sad thing is, I really don't have anyone to play with
    Solo playing rpgs isn't as taboo as it used to be.
    Take a look at Mythic.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.