Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
  1. #31
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,154

    Default

    The Team Arrow Civil War in the first half of Arrow season 6.

    Heck, the whole Cayden James plot wasn't all that memorable.

  2. #32
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,414

    Default

    Can't believe I forgot to mention the infamous James/Evelyn plot from Twin Peaks.

    Jesus Christ.

  3. #33
    Mighty Member TriggerWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Have to throw out the boxing episodes in Battlestar Galactica. Soooooooo bad and such a waste of time especially since half the second episode was just replaying the exact same scenes from the first episode.

  4. #34

    Default

    Switching to primetime soaps for a second:

    DALLAS - of course, the dream season (DVD Season 9). Even if Bobby had not died, the Angelica Nero character and storyline was idiotic and a failed attempt to bring an Alexis-type character onto Dallas to match wits with JR. In later seasons, surfer dude Sasha Mitchell was all wrong for the part of JR's secret son. Cally as JR's child bride was never interesting. Killing off April right after she married Bobby was another nail in the coffin for this once-great show.

    DYNASTY - as fans know, it wasn't the "Moldavian Massacre" that killed the show. That was great. It was the crappy follow up in Season 6 where ratings took a tumble and never recovered -- especially that long, boring, drawn out "Krystle's double" story with George Hamilton.

    KNOTS LANDING - the first 3 seasons and the final 2 were generally boring. However, even in the series' best period, Seasons 4-12, there were some loser storylines like Empire Valley and Jean Hackney among others.

    FALCON CREST - tons, including the stunt casting of Gina Lollobrigida and Apollonia. Lana Turner was good, though, as was Cesar Romero. Ultimately, the show never had a season where everything worked, but it lasted throughout the 80s thanks to having Dallas as its lead-in.

    and...

    MARRIED WITH CHILDREN - Season 7's introduction of Seven, another entry in the won't-they-ever-learn "let's introduce a kid from out of nowhere" syndrome. Eventually, they wised up, and Seven simply stopped appearing without explanation.

    LOST - "We have to go back to the island!" Really, dude? Plus, "Whatever happened, happened" and the past can't be changed -- until it could. Just lots of padding (like flash-sideways) because the network didn't want to cancel the show.

  5. #35
    Sailing the seas Chris Lang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,533

    Default

    In no particular order:

    The Dorne storyline on Game of Thrones Season 5. Didn't really do much other than fill time.

    The whole 'Xena's child signals the end of the Greek Gods and the start of a pseudo-Christian religion' storyline in Season 5 of Xena. Required a LOT of Plot Induced Stupidity AND a super-powerup out of nowhere in order for Xena to win. In the previous seasons (even with controversial stuff like the Rift in Season 3), you can tell the creators still cared. But here, it was painfully obvious they were tired of the show.

    The 'Ahriman' storyline in Highlander the Series, introducing an illusion-casting demon at the end of Season 5 when the existence of such a thing in the Highlander universe had not even been hinted at previously. This, and just about everything that happens as a result of it, was a sign that they were running out of ideas and were resorting to stuff that would have been laughed at and rejected a season or two ago.

    The 'Terra' storyline in Battlestar Galactica Classic. What was the point of creating this world that's enough like 20th century Earth so that the audience thinks it IS Earth under another name, only to end the storyline in the last few minutes of an episode by having one of the mysterious guides tell Apollo "No, it's not Earth.", and then the Colonial Fleet just resumes its journey as if the whole multi-episode Terra storyline never happened? And it's never explained why it's so similar to 20th century Earth (up to and including its version of Cold War nuclear brinksmanship), or whether it, like Earth, was connected to the 13th tribe of Kobol.

  6. #36
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,537

    Default

    LOST - "We have to go back to the island!" Really, dude? Plus, "Whatever happened, happened" and the past can't be changed -- until it could. Just lots of padding (like flash-sideways) because the network didn't want to cancel the show.
    The future reveal reinvigorated the show, though. And the past couldn't be changed, that was never pushed back on. The time travel concept utilized in later seasons was a loop, everything happened the way it always did even via actions intended to try and institute change.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-05-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The future reveal reinvigorated the show, though. And the past couldn't be changed, that was never pushed back on. The time travel concept utilized in later seasons was a loop, everything happened the way it always did even via actions intended to try and institute change.
    I've only seen Lost once -- on DVD a few years ago -- but I remember the smart guy they introduced in Season 5, I think (the American guy with the 2 British parents), kept saying "whatever happened, happened," and then some episodes later said something to the effect of "I was wrong! We can change the past because we have free will!" Cliche-ridden bad writing all around.

    And then he died, I think. If I remember correctly. I mean, it's Lost, most of the characters introduced ended up dead, but that's another story. I think 3 different characters died during the course of the series by walking backward into oncoming traffic.

  8. #38
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,537

    Default

    In the end he was wrong, nothing could be changed. He developed a theory that it could be and it didn't work, it only was part of the loop. So that "whatever happened, happened" mantra stayed true and was never walked back on. I mean, obviously you're not a fan, I'm not trying to get you to like it or anything, I'm just saying they didn't contradict themselves on that particular message.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-05-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  9. #39
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    880

    Default

    My answer to this thread is so easy to think of. The entire telepath commune plot in Babylon Season 5. Lose it. By far the weakest long form plot in the entire run of the show. And no offense to Pat Tallman, who did yeoman's work with crap material, but the acting of pretty much every character involved was terrible.


    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I'm willing to die on the hill that season 6 of Buffy was by far the best season of the show and its not even close. The musical episode and mental hospital episodes are two of the best episodes the show did. Loved Dark Willow storyline and the fact that it was Xander who saved the world by being a compassionate friend rather than having Buffy slay something. Even loved the Spike / Buffy storyline. Buffy was in mental hell and punishing herself so her throwing herself at Spike fit with where she was in her life at the time. Likewise Spike trying to rape her at the end fit because he was a demon with no soul no matter how much they tried to make him be a good guy.
    I will never agree with your first sentence, because seasons 2 and 3 exist, and are borderline perfect. But the rest of your argument has weight. Season 6 gets a bad rap because the Trio sucked (fairly), and because the whole season was about Buffy's malaise and disconnection from her family and friends. Which was hard to watch, and sometimes not communicated as effectively as it could have been, but was fairly daring as a season plot with a character fans are attached to. And, as you noted, there is some amazing material in the season.

    Now, I'm not a Spiffy fun, and I generally agree with a lot of of the comments on Spike between S4 and the end of S6. But, earned or not, the twist at the end of S6 where the demonic Spike recognizes his own failings and chooses to try and become a better man was really powerful. No, I don't think the show did nearly enough to call him to account for his actions, and his road to redemption was awfully easy given his crimes. But that doesn't take away from a brilliant turn of a character. And while I think S7 largely wasted the resouled Spike, the payoff in Angel S5 makes it all worthwhile for me. I'd have watched the Angel/Spike brotherly rivalry forever and probably never have gotten bored.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    In the end he was wrong, nothing could be changed. He developed a theory that it could be and it didn't work, it only was part of the loop. So that "whatever happened, happened" mantra stayed true and was never walked back on. I mean, obviously you're not a fan, I'm not trying to get you to like it or anything, I'm just saying they didn't contradict themselves on that particular message.
    Well, I'm not a fan, but I'm not a hater of the show, either. However, I feel that when all was said and done, the show didn't stick the landing and ending up being a disappointment. The journey was often interesting and intriguing, but the destination left me with a "that's it?" feeling.

    In fact, the finale of Lost inspired me to start a thread about disappointing series two years ago right after I finished binge-watching Lost. It was actually a fun thread as it ended up covering a lot of different series that people had strong opinions about.

    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...G-you-SPOILERS

    EDIT: Just started rereading my old thread, and I see that you participated in it and said Lost was your favorite show of all time. Don't want to be a downer on something that means so much to you. There was definitely a lot to like about the show. I felt that way even when I created the thread.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 08-05-2020 at 07:23 PM.

  11. #41
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,537

    Default

    Nah its cool. You don't have to spare my feelings or anything, I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I feel your particular complaints, even if I didn't always share the same grievances.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  12. #42
    Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Everything about 13/Hadley's private live on House.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

    "And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

  13. #43
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Everything about 13/Hadley's private live on House.
    Oh, right, House. That corrupt cop storyline killed any interest I had in the show

  14. #44
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    - Willow as a magic addict on "Buffy."
    - Connor/Cordelia on "Angel."
    - Aceveda's rape storyline on "The Shield."
    - Lana/Lex on "Smallville."
    - Almost everything that happened in the last season of "Battlestar Galactica." (the reboot one)

  15. #45
    Paranoid Android ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Incertisque loci...incerto tempore
    Posts
    2,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    The 'Ahriman' storyline in Highlander the Series, introducing an illusion-casting demon at the end of Season 5 when the existence of such a thing in the Highlander universe had not even been hinted at previously. This, and just about everything that happens as a result of it, was a sign that they were running out of ideas and were resorting to stuff that would have been laughed at and rejected a season or two ago.
    That's the point I stopped watching.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    My answer to this thread is so easy to think of. The entire telepath commune plot in Babylon Season 5. Lose it. By far the weakest long form plot in the entire run of the show. And no offense to Pat Tallman, who did yeoman's work with crap material, but the acting of pretty much every character involved was terrible.
    I agree with all of this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    On Batwoman, the Alice plotline should've been over way sooner than it was. Kate constantly letting her go did not make her look good.
    I'm almost done watching the first season now and I'm sick to death of Alice.


    For myself, I'll add the final season of the original British version of Being Human.
    So very bad.
    Last edited by ChadH; 08-08-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •