Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Storylines that you could've done without on the shows you love

Inspired by this Buzzfeed list, but what are some pointless stories on your most beloved shows?

One that sprang to mind was pretty much any Kim Bauer story from season 2-on in 24. It made sense for her to be part of the main story in the first season since that was an intro to Jack and the day's events took its toll on his family, but every Kim adventure after that seemed really contrived (in *this* show, that's saying something) and obviously as a way to keep Elisha Cuthbert in a starring role (no offense to the actress, of course).

Another is the forced Chakotay/Seven romance in the last few episodes of Voyager. It doesn't have to work to be a decent story, but it does have to build up and feel organic, even if they're going to break up in the end. As it is, it's just a bit of lip service once or twice before becoming a full blown plot point in an already stuffed finale.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-03-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Great idea for a topic.

Spike and Buffy, season 6, remove it from my memory please. Use a drill.

Half of the episode of Star Trek TNG for being honest. The other half if good though there is a balance here at least.

Oh and speaking of Voyager, the whole maquis thing turned to be rather pointless in the end as they pretty much all happily join the crew save for a couple of problems here and there.

That part of season 7 of Buffy where the potentials, Buffy's fiends, and Dawn all kick Buffy out of her own house. That part really had me heated back in the day.

There's a lot of stuff in the later seasons of Game of Thrones I could name. Dorne (I understand this is significantly better in the books), Daenerys' descent into the Mad Queen (I saw this possibility a long time before the final season, but it was rushed and poorly executed), Jaime going back to Cersei, throwing away his character development, etc.

All of the reoccurring serial killers in Bones. We didn't need them, the whole show came to a halt when they were around

Pretty much all of Ben 10: Alien Force

Sylar after season 1 of Heroes. Most of the characters wore out their welcome eventually but Sylar did so almost immediately

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Yeah, Spike and Buffy in season 6. Also Connor and Cordelia in Angel season 4.

The "Rift" storyline between Xena and Gabrielle on Xena: Warrior Princess.

Agree with the Sylar storylines on Heroes after season 1. ("Everybody likes Zachary Quinto and we don't have any other ideas!")

The whole final season of How I Met Your Mother.

The "wounded soldier in bandages" storyline on Downton Abbey... fans of the show will know what I'm talking about. Maybe the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on a dramatic TV show that wasn't intended as comic relief.

Several storylines on the final season of Game of Thrones, most notably Jamie/Cersei and Dany's heel turn.

Those two diamond thieves on "Lost"... which fortunately the writers put a spike in before it got too bad.

The Leviathans storyline on Supernatural.

Anything involving the Holodeck on any version of Star Trek, with *very* few exceptions.

No Dawn is the key story line in Buffy. It's the worst Buffy story arc of all time.

The story was nonsense when we realise Buffy herself could all along function as a key and close the portal. There was no need for Dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The Leviathans storyline on Supernatural.
    I'm conflicted because while I liked the actual episodes that made up the Leviathans storyline they were so disconnected from what came before that I dropped the show as soon as it wrapped up. I'd much rather have jettisoned the "Castiel appears to be betraying the Winchesters" storyline for being so dull, but that one actually flowed from what came before it

I loved the entire Leviathan season on Supernatural. Plus Dick Roman was a hoot. *shrugs* to each his/her own I guess.

But speaking of Supernatural, I could have easily done without the [Evil] Men of Letters season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I loved the entire Leviathan season on Supernatural. Plus Dick Roman was a hoot. *shrugs* to each his/her own I guess.

But speaking of Supernatural, I could have easily done without the [Evil] Men of Letters season.
    Other than 1 guy, it ended with a big nothing burger. And even that guy only popped up once a season since. Until he got ripped apart.

Garlic Jr. Arc of DBZ. Literally had nothing to do with the rest of the story, and a chore to get through at that.

Mighty Member

honestly, sometimes I think "Buffy the Vampire" Slayer would have probably been better if it ended with the second season. she kills her boyfriend, saves the world, and yeah... the end.

then we wouldn't have gotten things like Buffy + Spike, Crack Magic, Xander dumping Anya on their wedding day, Dawn... it's easier to remember what I disliked about the latter seasons than to remember what I did like.

while not exactly perfect... those first two seasons were certainly the best IMO. the show took a perceptible drop in quality with each subsequent season. I gave up in the middle of season 6 and don't feel the least bit bad about it.

The Joey/Rachel get together thing on FRIENDS. even the actors didn’t like it. The characters had gotten way too family oriented by that point.

The mythology eps on X FILES. Sorry but, they were fairly boring and more convoluted as they went on. I preferred the monster of the week format.

The let’s face it, it was incest subplot between Dexter and Deb on DEXTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Other than 1 guy, it ended with a big nothing burger. And even that guy only popped up once a season since. Until he got ripped apart.
    ...so you loved the Men of Letters season? I don't know what else to gleam from you post beyond that.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    honestly, sometimes I think "Buffy the Vampire" Slayer would have probably been better if it ended with the second season. she kills her boyfriend, saves the world, and yeah... the end.
    I've heard a lot of people say season 5, when they killed off Buffy. (Spoiler: it didn't take.) That's when Joss mostly checked out of the show on a day to day basis, in order to develop Firefly. I personally love the series as a whole so much that I wouldn't really remove anything, even the stuff I don't care for much.

then we wouldn't have gotten things like Buffy + Spike, Crack Magic, Xander dumping Anya on their wedding day, Dawn... it's easier to remember what I disliked about the latter seasons than to remember what I did like.
    I didn't mind Spuffy, except for the rapey parts in season 6. I liked Spike. Didn't mind Dawn. The rest of it was all just part of the story to me... gotta go through the pain to get to the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    The mythology eps on X FILES. Sorry but, they were fairly boring and more convoluted as they went on. I preferred the monster of the week format.
    I was fascinated by the mythology episodes, until it became clear they weren't going anywhere and were just kind of trailing off into the ether. Bazinga!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    ...so you loved the Men of Letters season? I don't know what else to gleam from you post beyond that.
    What? No! I was agreeing that the Men of Letters arc was a waste of a season. And the only thing to come out of it was the one guy that already tried to kill Sam and Dean a few times to end up on their side. In 1 one off episodes per season.

while not exactly perfect... those first two seasons were certainly the best IMO. the show took a perceptible drop in quality with each subsequent season. I gave up in the middle of season 6 and don't feel the least bit bad about it.
    Would we still got the Angel spin off ? Because that is the show I really like.

Cordelia whole season 4 arc.

Cordelia+Angel ship.

All of Supernatural after season 5, the end the creator wanted.

Morgan with the Intersect in "Chuck".

Castle spy father, in "Castle"."

Everything with Tariq on "Power".