Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Question Whither Miracleman?

Does anybody know if/when the Gaiman Silver Age Miracleman storyline will ever resume from Marvel?

When they give him a lot of money?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Has MM made any appearances in any of the Marvel books since the deal was made? Can we get a limited series called Avengers UK -- or Excalibur International -- or something to get the man's feet wet at least? Feels like we've been waiting a lifetime.

Keep Miracleman out of the Marvel Universe.

The thing that makes his series tick is the world-shifting consequences of the story. It’s entirely incompatible with the Marvel Universe. If you take that away, he’s just a Shazam knock off. There’s no point to it.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I don't think anyone knows.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Has MM made any appearances in any of the Marvel books since the deal was made? Can we get a limited series called Avengers UK -- or Excalibur International -- or something to get the man's feet wet at least? Feels like we've been waiting a lifetime.
    He appeared in Marvel Comics #1000, in a very meta way, suggesting he knows the Marvel heroes as fictional stories:

A second print variant cover for the book also had him front and center:

I'm not sure if Marvel ever plans on making him crossover with the actual MU someday, but I wouldn't be against an event in which he appears in the MU, from the point of view of someone who sees their world as fiction. Like Gwenpool, but in a more serious tone. His standalone stories should be in his own universe, though.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-04-2020 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Keep Miracleman out of the Marvel Universe.

The thing that makes his series tick is the world-shifting consequences of the story. It’s entirely incompatible with the Marvel Universe. If you take that away, he’s just a Shazam knock off. There’s no point to it.
    Because the MU us a multiverse, it's at least possible to do a cross over similar to the way they handle the Squadron Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Because the MU us a multiverse, it's at least possible to do a cross over similar to the way they handle the Squadron Supreme.
    Possible, yes. Good idea, no f***ing way. Imagine the Watchmen crossing over with the DC Universe had the last few issues of that series not been published. As time passes, current fans become less and less aware of the original series and its groundbreaking wonder. A crossover would lessen the status of the character and serve to justify putting other talent on the Silver Age completion.

IMO, finish the original series before any crossing over is done.

I would have to read the collections from "the original writer" that Marvel published-- have they released them all in hardcover or softcover sets? how many sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I would have to read the collections from "the original writer" that Marvel published-- have they released them all in hardcover or softcover sets? how many sets?
    They've definitely done them in individual hardcovers before. I have them in... three? Whatever it is, they could've just done one bigger collection.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Possible, yes. Good idea, no f***ing way. Imagine the Watchmen crossing over with the DC Universe had the last few issues of that series not been published. As time passes, current fans become less and less aware of the original series and its groundbreaking wonder. A crossover would lessen the status of the character and serve to justify putting other talent on the Silver Age completion.

IMO, finish the original series before any crossing over is done.
    You and I can already see Marvel's wheels turning. You're right, time is passing and both knowledge and interest in MM is waning with each day. So what are they going to do to drum up support? Yep, you guessed it, figure out a way to introduce MM to mainstream readers, i.e., a crossover. They've done it with a fair number of their acquisitions (Malibu, Angela). Whenever they didn't, the acquisition just faded into oblivion (CrossGen Comics; Aircel Comics -- granted, it was bought by Malibu, but Marvel owns it now). Heck, even when they did do it some of those characters faded into oblivion (again, Malibu).

The question isn't should it happen, but when will it happen. They can't help themselves.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 08-04-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Miracleman already had an appearance in MU, decades ago in the Captain Britain title.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Miracleman already had an appearance in MU, decades ago in the Captain Britain title.
    Wasn't that an Alan Moore story? I would change my view 100% if Alan Moore were to write a Miracleman / Marvel Universe story.

Wasn't that an Alan Moore story? I would change my view 100% if Alan Moore were to write a Miracleman / Marvel Universe story.
    Well, that was the whole point. Marvel had zero interest in the character or the comic. What the bought it for was to open a dialogue with Alan Moore (unlikely) and Neil Gaiman (very likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I seem to recall him being horribly killed by the Fury. Of course this was at the time that Moore was writing him as Marvelman so wasn't intended to be the actual character in his continuity. Just part of a weaker universe that was able to be wiped out by Mandragon from Otherworld.

Ultimate Member

It will never happen. He's had a grudge against Marvel even longer than his grudge against DC.