Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Some people don't know that.
    I know that, I just wanted to make sure people didn't think I was implying that she would not be American either way.
    I know a few Puerto Ricans, and even though they are technically American citizens by birth, a lot of them still identify as immigrants when they move to the mainland, one of the reasons being that they come from a place where Spanish and not English is the widely spoken language.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Some people don't know that.
    I think it's more to determine if she was born/raised in a predominantly English-speaking country or a Spanish-speaking country... or in this case, a Spanishspeaking territory of a predominantly English-speaking country lol!

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I think it's more to determine if she was born/raised in a predominantly English-speaking country or a Spanish-speaking country... or in this case, a Spanishspeaking territory of a predominantly English-speaking country lol!
    Yup, that was my point. Well, if the oficial Marvel site says so I am going by that, although it still doesn't mean that English would be her first language, as I said, you can be raised in the US and still live in a household that speaks another language predominantly. Many people that come from households like that only start speaking English when they start going to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Yup, that was my point. Well, if the oficial Marvel site says so I am going by that, although it still doesn't mean that English would be her first language, as I said, you can be raised in the US and still live in a household that speaks another language predominantly. Many people that come from households like that only start speaking English when they start going to school.
    Yeah it's tricky. If someone asked me what my first language was, I'd say Chinese. But what's my native language? English?? Because I've lost my proficiency in Chinese and Burmese (the other language floating around my household) and only use it for my mother and grandparents.

Most first and second generation LatinX people I know are still pretty bilingual. If I were to guess with Cecilia, it'd be 50/50 on what language she'd want her codename to be in.

Yeah it's tricky. If someone asked me what my first language was, I'd say Chinese. But what's my native language? English?? Because I've lost my proficiency in Chinese and Burmese (the other language floating around my household) and only use it for my mother and grandparents.

Most first and second generation LatinX people I know are still pretty bilingual. If I were to guess with Cecilia, it'd be 50/50 on what language she'd want her codename to be in.
    I know, I was lucky I guess in that I was able to keep my proficiency in Spanish (knew a lot of people growing up) and Italian (I actually worked for years with an Italian family in their restaurant). I think with Latinx people it comes down to the fact that it is a widely spoken language in the US (second only to English in fact) so I guess is easier to keep speaking it. With Asian Americans I guess it would depend on whether they grew up with family members that speak the language, go to a school that teaches it (there's a few where I live), or grow up in a place like Chinatown (or another Asian neighborhood).

I know, I was lucky I guess in that I was able to keep my proficiency in Spanish (knew a lot of people growing up) and Italian (I actually worked for years with an Italian family in their restaurant). I think with Latinx people it comes down to the fact that it is a widely spoken language in the US (second only to English in fact) so I guess is easier to keep speaking it. With Asian Americans I guess it would depend on whether they grew up with family members that speak the language, go to a school that teaches it (there's a few where I live), or grow up in a place like Chinatown (or another Asian neighborhood).
    Yeah it was hard in my household because my parents spoke multiple languages depending on who was in the room. That didn't really encourage learning any of them really well. It would've be different if every relative spoke one common language, like Spanish for example.

Another complication I just thought of haha. First language has two meanings usually: the literal first language that came out of your mouth or the language that's first in your proficiency level. Anyway, just rambling.

Back on topic! CECILIA! I still wish that she was put to better use than being the go-to doctor for whatever reason they need one. I said this in another thread, but the fact that she's still so popular after never being featured yet introduced a whopping 23 years ago... it just shows that there is an audience for her representation!

I like her because, just like Roberto, she represented something very uncommon in American comics, someone who was not the stereotypical representation of a Latin person. Black Latin people are incredibly underrepresented in media, they are basically invisible, and it opens the door for people to understand that cultural heritage is not just one thing. I'm my case for example, people here have a really hard time trying to pigeonhole me into a category. Yes, I come from Latin America, but I am also 6"3' and light skinned, so I am obviously also not what people think of the stereotypical Latin person (and then you have the racists who say that I should just identify as Italian as that is what I look like, but that is a whole other can of worms).
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-10-2020 at 10:03 PM.

And also, before I forget and more importantly, I just plain like her as a character and her attitude, someone that instead of just falling in line and joining the X-Men actually wants to be a doctor, and just keeps crossing their path to her dismay.

I like her because, just like Roberto, she represented something very uncommon in American comics, someone who was not the stereotypical representation of a Latin person. Black Latin people are incredibly underrepresented in media, they are basically invisible, and it opens the door for people to understand that cultural heritage is not just one thing. I'm my case for example, people here have a really hard time trying to pigeonhole me into a category. Yes, I come from Latin America, but I am also 6"3' and light skinned, so I am obviously also not what people think of the stereotypical Latin person (and then you have the racists who say that I should just identify as Italian as is what I look like, but that is a whole other can of worms).
    Cecilia was definitely introduced at a time when they were pushing for diversity, but it was really only on the surface. I think after all these years, now is the time when writers could and would actually put in the work and do the research to write a character with a diverse background. As you've said, it's not all just black and white.

The New Mutants movie is a bad example of this kind of "all Latinx is the same" mentality. Rosario Dawson was a great choice. I mean come on! She's Afro-Latina and from New York! Unfortunately she stepped off the project and they replaced her with Alice Braga, who is actually Brazilian (and not black). There was definitely sort of a "let's just find another Latina woman" amount of effort and is the exact kind of lazy representation that shows up in the comics.

Cecilia was definitely introduced at a time when they were pushing for diversity, but it was really only on the surface. I think after all these years, now is the time when writers could and would actually put in the work and do the research to write a character with a diverse background. As you've said, it's not all just black and white.

The New Mutants movie is a bad example of this kind of "all Latinx is the same" mentality. Rosario Dawson was a great choice. I mean come on! She's Afro-Latina and from New York! Unfortunately she stepped off the project and they replaced her with Alice Braga, who is actually Brazilian (and not black). There was definitely sort of a "let's just find another Latina woman" amount of effort and is the exact kind of lazy representation that shows up in the comics.
    Yup, the same happened with Roberto, where they actually got a Brazilian actor, which was important, but failed to get someone who was also part black (the actor has native brazilian and white ancestry). But then again even the comics sometimes forget that Berto is supposed to be half Afro-Brazilian.

Yup, the same happened with Roberto, where they actually got a Brazilian actor, which was important, but failed to get someone who was also part black (the actor has native brazilian and white ancestry). But then again even the comics sometimes forget that Berto is supposed to be half Afro-Brazilian.
    yes we had a whole discussion on another thread... man, two strikes New Mutants! It's a shame because New Mutants was the most diverse group of mutants ever introduced. The movie is still the first to feature an indigenous lead superhero in Dani, but why's it always gotta be one step forward, another back lol. One day they'll get it right. Still better than Bryan Singer... ughhh puke. I used to defend him (movie-making wise... not personally of course), but what was I thinking?? He really did not care for representation at all. Poor Storm!

yes we had a whole discussion on another thread... man, two strikes New Mutants! It's a shame because New Mutants was the most diverse group of mutants ever introduced. The movie is still the first to feature an indigenous lead superhero in Dani, but why's it always gotta be one step forward, another back lol. One day they'll get it right. Still better than Bryan Singer... ughhh puke. I used to defend him (movie-making wise... not personally of course), but what was I thinking?? He really did not care for representation at all. Poor Storm!
    Singer got probably the most diverse superhero team property, and one that actually has acceptance of diversity as its core message, and he decided to just populate it with a bunch of white people xD. Heck, even Kitty's jewishness got "whitewashed" hahaha. I guess Storm was supposed to be the stand in for all diversity in those movies.

Singer got probably the most diverse superhero team property, and one that actually has acceptance of diversity as its core message, and he decided to just populate it with a bunch of white people xD. Heck, even Kitty's jewishness got "whitewashed" hahaha. I guess Storm was supposed to be the stand in for all diversity in those movies.
    Bobby's "coming out scene" was obviously the only diversity he was interested in... young/cis/white prettyboy struggles lol.

I know that, I just wanted to make sure people didn't think I was implying that she would not be American either way.
    I know a few Puerto Ricans, and even though they are technically American citizens by birth, a lot of them still identify as immigrants when they move to the mainland, one of the reasons being that they come from a place where Spanish and not English is the widely spoken language.
    I am going to put a clarification here we aren't technically American citizens . We ARE American citizens from birth the only difference is that I can't run for president because of you have to be born on the mainland US to do that. Everything else is exactly the same except for that one thing for US territories. Also while Spanish is the main language, 65% of population can speak English.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am going to put a clarification here we aren't technically American citizens . We ARE American citizens from birth the only difference is that I can't run for president because of you have to be born on the mainland US to do that. Everything else is exactly the same except for that one thing for US territories. Also while Spanish is the main language, 65% of population can speak English.
    Voting rights too! An issue that needs to be prioritized and remedied!!