Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Stasis is cute. I’ve always liked the name Recovery for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I think since she is from Puerto Rico, a Spanish code-name would fit way better.

How about Proteger (which means protector , or shield), Blindada (Shieled) or Salvar (save)?

If it would be up to me, I would go for Proteger
    I like how even though this new era is all about mutant pride and heritage characters still need to have names in English, even when they don't come from English speaking parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    I like how even though this new era is all about mutant pride and heritage characters still need to have names in English, even when they don't come from English speaking parts of the world.
    what do you mean you like it? What's your problem with other languages?

Quote Originally Posted by misty101 View Post
    what do you mean you like it? What's your problem with other languages?
    Irony is not something that is easy to convey in text, especially when someone thinks you meant the complete opposite. I guess next time I'll put a (?) next to it.
    And no, I don't have a problem with other languages, considering I am fluent in 3 different ones and English is not even my first language.

Irony is not something that is easy to convey in text, especially when someone thinks you meant the complete opposite. I guess next time I'll put a (?) next to it.
    And no, I don't have a problem with other languages, considering I am fluent in 3 different ones and English is not even my first language.
    Then why did you say that you liked that they only use English words ? You claim you speak 3 languages and yet like them only using one, doesn't make any sense does it.

I knew what you meant. But it's an American comic book so it is what it is. For the record though, Cecilia is from the Bronx!

Also, can we get the thread name changed to spell her name correctly??

Well, her native tongue is English, so I don't get the problem. A codename in either language would work for her.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I knew what you meant. But it's an American comic book so it is what it is. For the record though, Cecilia is from the Bronx!
    No, she was raised in the Bronx but is originally from Puerto Rico, unless that has been changed recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Well, her native tongue is English, so I don't get the problem. A codename in either language would work for her.
    No, is Spanish, she was raised in the Bronx but was bornt in PR.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-10-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by misty101 View Post
    Then why did you say that you liked that they only use English words ? You claim you speak 3 languages and yet like them only using one, doesn't make any sense does it.
    Dude, do you know what irony is? Other people understood what I meant, but I thought that I had cleared this up on my other post, but let me make it very clear for you. I think that the fact that characters that come from non-english speaking countries but adopt English codenames is hilarious (although I do understand that is an American comic book so there is that). It made sense with the All-New and New Mutants since Xavier named them, doesn't really made sense for the rest.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-10-2020 at 02:32 PM.

No, she was raised in the Bronx but is originally from Puerto Rico, unless that has been changed recently.
    No, is Spanish, she was raised in the Bronx but was bornt in PR.
    I'm not 100% sure, but if she was raised in the Bronx that would make her bilingual. There's no way we would be able to say which language she considers her native tongue, especially since she's fictional lol. Anyway, I suggested a Spanish codename, so I'm on your side that not all codenames have to be anglo-centric. But again, this is an American comic by an American company so they're going to make almost everything in English. Same as how the Kree and Skrulls speak in English.

I'm not 100% sure, but if she was raised in the Bronx that would make her bilingual. There's no way we would be able to say which language she considers her native tongue, especially since she's fictional lol. Anyway, I suggested a Spanish codename, so I'm on your side that not all codenames have to be anglo-centric. But again, this is an American comic by an American company so they're going to make almost everything in English. Same as how the Kree and Skrulls speak in English.
    I don't know when she moved to the US, but I am 100% sure she was always meant to be from Puerto Rico, just raised in the Bronx. In any case I am pretty sure she is bilingual since she attended medical school in the US, but my comment was more general , not especially meant just for her character. I was raised in the US as well but I still consider Spanish and Italian to be my first languages, since is what my family spoke at home, and I assume with her family it would be the same since they are Puerto Ricans at the end of the day and it would make sense that's what they would speak among them, but of course that's just me. In any case I know that this is an American comic at the end of the day, is just that is funny to me when you get Mutants from other countries that just adopt English codenames for the heck of it. Made sense for Xavier students, is just funny for those Mutants who are not English speakers and should have no desire to adopt Anglo-centric names, especially the more radicalized ones.

And with aliens, I always just assumed they used universal translators like in Star Trek hahahaha.

Spectacular Member

What are you talking about? There isn't an official language in the USA. English isn't official. Spanish is spoken by a large portion of the population. So if there is a cool codename in another language, and it translates fairly well to the audience, then why not use it. Lobo, El Tigre, Bandera, and others are Spanish names that readers have had no problems with.

Diamante (diamond) would be cool as her force fields almost look like facets.

Or maybe Medica (medic)?