Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    What are you talking about? There isn't an official language in the USA. English isn't official. Spanish is spoken by a large portion of the population. So if there is a cool codename in another language, and it translates fairly well to the audience, then why not use it. Lobo, El Tigre, Bandera, and others are Spanish names that readers have had no problems with.

Diamante (diamond) would be cool as her force fields almost look like facets.

Or maybe Medica (medic)?
    Yes, since her family is actually from Puerto Rico, it would make sense that she grew up in a household where Spanish was the main language. I think for people that don't come from a bilingual home is a difficult concept to wrap their heads around, but it is very normal for people who either were young immigrants or first generation Americans. For example, since I speak fluent English people just assume that's the only language I speak, or the main language I use day to day. We haven't seen much of Cece's life outside of her work environment, but is very possible that Spanish is her first language, in fact since they are actually from PR is almost a sure thing that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    What are you talking about? There isn't an official language in the USA. English isn't official. Spanish is spoken by a large portion of the population. So if there is a cool codename in another language, and it translates fairly well to the audience, then why not use it. Lobo, El Tigre, Bandera, and others are Spanish names that readers have had no problems with.

Diamante (diamond) would be cool as her force fields almost look like facets.

Or maybe Medica (medic)?
    What are YOU talking about?? I said I agreed that not all code-names have to be in English and my contribution to the thread was "Fuerza", Spanish for force or strength. I was just saying that in American comics, writers are mostly going to pick English sounding names even for international characters. That is just what happens... I wasn't offering an opinion one way or another on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    I don't know when she moved to the US, but I am 100% sure she was always meant to be from Puerto Rico, just raised in the Bronx. In any case I am pretty sure she is bilingual since she attended medical school in the US, but my comment was more general , not especially meant just for her character. I was raised in the US as well but I still consider Spanish and Italian to be my first languages, since is what my family spoke at home, and I assume with her family it would be the same since they are Puerto Ricans at the end of the day and it would make sense that's what they would speak among them, but of course that's just me. In any case I know that this is an American comic at the end of the day, is just that is funny to me when you get Mutants from other countries that just adopt English codenames for the heck of it. Made sense for Xavier students, is just funny for those Mutants who are not English speakers and should have no desire to adopt Anglo-centric names, especially the more radicalized ones.
    Oh she's definitely Puerto Rican-American! I wasn't saying she wasn't! I'm just saying we wouldn't be able to tell which language she considers her native one because we just don't know that much about her. Me, for example, I'm born in the US and learned two different Asian languages first. I still consider English my first (and native) language because I'm not super proficient in my parents' languages (there were just too many languages going on at home lol).

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Oh she's definitely Puerto Rican-American! I wasn't saying she wasn't! I'm just saying we wouldn't be able to tell which language she considers her native one because we just don't know that much about her. Me, for example, I'm born in the US and learned two different Asian languages first. I still consider English my first (and native) language because I'm not super proficient in my parents' languages (there were just too many languages going on at home lol).
    I know that you didn't, what I meant to say is that it was established that she actually was born in Puerto Rico and her whole family is from there, so it would make sense that her first language is Spanish because it was what her family would speak at home, regardless of the fact that she was raised in the Bronx (unlike, say, someone from Puerto Rican ancestry but who is a third of fourth generation American). Of course very little has been revealed from her personal life besides her career and the fact that her father was killed in front of her, so it doesn't really matter, I was going more by personal experience, as someone who is fluent in English but still considers it a second language just because I grew up in a household were other languages were spoken.

Has Cecilia ever spoken Spanish? I think English is her native tongue bc thats all I can recall seeing her speak. Other characters that have English as their second language, sprinkle bits of their first language in speech here and there

I know that you didn't, what I meant to say is that it was established that she actually was born in Puerto Rico and her whole family is from there, so it would make sense that her first language is Spanish because it was what her family would speak at home, regardless of the fact that she was raised in the Bronx (unlike, say, someone from Puerto Rican ancestry but who is a third of fourth generation American). Of course very little has been revealed from her personal life besides her career and the fact that her father was killed in front of her, so it doesn't really matter, I was going more by personal experience, as someone who is fluent in English but still considers it a second language just because I grew up in a household were other languages were spoken.
    Where was that established?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Has Cecilia ever spoken Spanish? I think English is her native tongue bc thats all I can recall seeing her speak. Other characters that have English as their second language, sprinkle bits of their first language in speech here and there
    When she was first introduced, she would say stuff like "madre de dios!" and other exclamations. It was a pretty cringey way to show her multicultural-side. To me she was definitely written to be at least second generation American. Like they gave her the sort of stereotypical New Yahwwwwwkah attitude.

Yes, when she was introduced she would do the stereotypical thing of speaking word or phrases in Spanish while speaking English to "show" that was her ethnic background, something that I know is an old troupe in comics but that always bothered me to no end. I am trilingual and have never done stuff like that while speaking one language, it was always so weird and cringe to read and would take me out of the story.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-10-2020 at 08:49 PM.

When she was first introduced, she would say stuff like "madre de dios!" and other exclamations. It was a pretty cringey way to show her multicultural-side. To me she was definitely written to be at least second generation American. Like they gave her the sort of stereotypical New Yahwwwwwkah attitude.
    Yep, I knew I remembered her saying words and phrases in Spanish, which was sooo stupid (I know, old comics troupe, but as someone who speaks other languages is so cringe. I would never mixed them up).
    And she witnessed her father's death when she was six, so she would have a New York attitude regardless as she would have grown up there (I wasn't born in the US but I am definitely more American than Chilean or Italian since I grew up in the States). But you might be right though, she might be first generation American and I might be misremembering her introduction, but I don't have those issues at hand.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-10-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Where was that established?
    I'm trying to remember where it said she was from Puerto Rico. She Puerto Rican but I think she only lived in the Bronx.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I'm trying to remember where it said she was from Puerto Rico. She Puerto Rican but I think she only lived in the Bronx.
    I remember that being the case as well, but I don't have my issues at hand and can't remember all of that exactly.

I just checked out her intro issue (un-adjectived X-Men #66) and it says "she managed to study her way out of the poverty-stricken neighborhood in which she was born". If she was already in the US at 6-years-old when her father died, then these two facts would imply that she was born in the Bronx.

In Uncanny X-Men #351, she's says shes experienced with bigots being a Puerto Rican woman amongst all white/male docs.

And just to be clear, I know Cece would be American regardless of whether she was born in PR or New York, as PR is a US territory.

I just checked out her intro issue (un-adjectived X-Men #66) and it says "she managed to study her way out of the poverty-stricken neighborhood in which she was born". If she was already in the US at 6-years-old when her father died, then these two facts would imply that she was born in the Bronx.

In Uncanny X-Men #351, she's says shes experienced with bigots being a Puerto Rican woman amongst all white/male docs.
    The poverty stricken neighborhood could be either in San Juan or the Bronx, so it doesn't really clear it up.
    And her experience with bigots could be related to the fact that she identifies as Puerto Rican by ancestry or because she really is from the island, so it could go either way.

And just to be clear, I know Cece would be American regardless of whether she was born in PR or New York, as PR is a US territory.
    Some people don't know that.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

The poverty stricken neighborhood could be either in San Juan or the Bronx, so it doesn't really clear it up.
    And her experience with bigots could be related to the fact that she identifies as Puerto Rican by ancestry or because she really is from the island, so it could go either way.
    I think it does because she was born in the same neighboorhood that she studied to get out of. She can't have been born, and then raised in a different neighborhood because that would contradict studying to get out of it. Unless her studies ended at five years old.

Anyway, finally just looked it up:

https://www.marvel.com/characters/ce...eyes/in-comics

"Puerto Rican Cecilia Reyes is born to Alejandro and Maria Reyes in the Bronx, New York City, New York"

Debate over!!!