Mighty Member

Default Young Justice 17-Question/Spoilers

Hello,
    I didnt read YJ 17 already, but I have some questions (I read a review)

a) Review said that this Wonder Girl is Cassie from NEW52.
    It seems that there is something in this Comic which confirms that.

b) This is (seemingly) the first encounter of Bart and Barry.
    I read that they talk like they already know each other?

c) This issue takes place at the Leviathan events (in March Action Comics), so it means that it plays BEFORE the actual Action Comics....
    So BEFORE Conner meets Kents etc. etc.

d) Is this girl Yolanda completely "new" or has she some ties with former heroes?
    I first thougth on Yolanda Montez....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,
    I didnt read YJ 17 already, but I have some questions (I read a review)

a) Review said that this Wonder Girl is Cassie from NEW52.
    It seems that there is something in this Comic which confirms that.

b) This is (seemingly) the first encounter of Bart and Barry.
    I read that they talk like they already know each other?

c) This issue takes place at the Leviathan events (in March Action Comics), so it means that it plays BEFORE the actual Action Comics....
    So BEFORE Conner meets Kents etc. etc.

d) Is this girl Yolanda completely "new" or has she some ties with former heroes?
    I first thougth on Yolanda Montez....
    A. Seemingly. As is often the case in the Rebirth era, she feels more like a fusion of her pre- and post- selves. The only hard facts are "Grandpa Zeus", and her mom is still probably her mom, so the paternity thing is in question - like, is it still "Lennox" or does anyone care about that? I know I don't. I like the Azz run just fine but truly don't need them to superficially tie Wonder Girl to the character of Lennox at all. Frankly I'd rather her mom just be Diana's secret sister.

B. Seemingly. Barry (and Wally) have been remembering old history faster than almost everybody else.

C. Yes. Once we get to the last issues of Bendis's storylines they all seem to end at the beginning of other storylines we've already read, so it does fit together neatly and very clearly.

D. New.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Yolanda's last name is Chan so im guessing she's a new character.

That was obvious. She's black (well, with that surname I'm guessing black/Asian mixed race), and the other Yolanda, Wildcat II, isn't.

Cassie called Wonder Woman "Auntie Diana", so yeah, her father is Diana's brother (her mother was a normal human both pre and post Flashpoint). They didn't identify him as Lennox, only that Cassie's grandfather was Zeus. It seems Cassie has her New 52 origin, but does now know pre-Flashpoint stuff too. We can presume Superman Reborn affected her.

About Barry, yeah, didn't he and Iris get their memories back a while ago, before Captain Cold froze Central City? Wally and Bart have known the whole time since their replacements are separate characters.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I liked this, but at the same time 2 things both about how bendis writes. 1 being he writes how ppl talk really weird, and 2 he uses a lot of words but doesn't get to anything.

This felt like a issue to say hey YJ is cool and a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That was obvious. She's black (well, with that surname I'm guessing black/Asian mixed race), and the other Yolanda, Wildcat II, isn't.

Cassie called Wonder Woman "Auntie Diana", so yeah, her father is Diana's brother (her mother was a normal human both pre and post Flashpoint). They didn't identify him as Lennox, only that Cassie's grandfather was Zeus. It seems Cassie has her New 52 origin, but does now know pre-Flashpoint stuff too. We can presume Superman Reborn affected her.

About Barry, yeah, didn't he and Iris get their memories back a while ago, before Captain Cold froze Central City? Wally and Bart have known the whole time since their replacements are separate characters.
    Honestly i pegged Yolanda as "ethnic" and didn't think of a specific race for her till the end.

Mighty Member

Hmm. This issue kind of gets to the heart of my problems with Brian Bendis, on these team books. When he slows down and just focuses on the characters and how they relate, his stuff can still be quite strong. There are some great moments in this issue, from the Bart/Barry stuff, everything with Tim/Bart/Conner, the scene with Cassie and Diana. Even the fact that Bruce and Tim have their moment in the background, in the shadows as it were. Did we know Jinny Hex was gay? Or at least bi. Some strong moments.

But they don't build to anything, there is no resolution or growth. At most this may have reset Bart from angsty to his usual goofy self, which considering the angst is only a few issues old doesn't feel like a big deal. Which is to say, Bendis' plotting sucks when it comes these team books. He just can't seem to work out to how to spread focus, develop meaningful action, or pace his work. We're 17 issues in, and it feels like we've had about 6 six issues of actual story.

And man, does this book have too many characters. Somebody always has to get lost in the shuffle, here it's Keli and to a lesser extent Jinny. They each get one little beat just to remind you they are around.

On the one hand, I like that Bendis has taken the time to redevelop the friendship between the core YJ4, and to bring in some of the new blood in a way that fits both the team and his agenda. On the other hand, think about how much more stuff happened in the original YJ in the first 17 issues. That run always felt frenetic, dynamic and on the move. Like change could come at any moment, and it could be huge. It had the energy of youth, of dynamic melodrama and that feeling you had when you were a teen that tomorrow could be the most important day of your life, every day. This just feels kind of tired. Hesitant. Dare I say it, corporate.

When Bendis hits the notes just right, this book sings, and it reaches a spot in my heart that holds some of these characters so dear. But it just doesn't happen with any kind of consistency or urgency to it. Every so often he writes an issue, a series of panels, or a line of dialogue that just reminds me how much I love these characters and how much I've missed them. But then it's six months waiting for him to hit that groove again. It's frustrating.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Hmm. This issue kind of gets to the heart of my problems with Brian Bendis, on these team books. When he slows down and just focuses on the characters and how they relate, his stuff can still be quite strong. There are some great moments in this issue, from the Bart/Barry stuff, everything with Tim/Bart/Conner, the scene with Cassie and Diana. Even the fact that Bruce and Tim have their moment in the background, in the shadows as it were. Did we know Jinny Hex was gay? Or at least bi. Some strong moments.

But they don't build to anything, there is no resolution or growth. At most this may have reset Bart from angsty to his usual goofy self, which considering the angst is only a few issues old doesn't feel like a big deal. Which is to say, Bendis' plotting sucks when it comes these team books. He just can't seem to work out to how to spread focus, develop meaningful action, or pace his work. We're 17 issues in, and it feels like we've had about 6 six issues of actual story.

And man, does this book have too many characters. Somebody always has to get lost in the shuffle, here it's Keli and to a lesser extent Jinny. They each get one little beat just to remind you they are around.

On the one hand, I like that Bendis has taken the time to redevelop the friendship between the core YJ4, and to bring in some of the new blood in a way that fits both the team and his agenda. On the other hand, think about how much more stuff happened in the original YJ in the first 17 issues. That run always felt frenetic, dynamic and on the move. Like change could come at any moment, and it could be huge. It had the energy of youth, of dynamic melodrama and that feeling you had when you were a teen that tomorrow could be the most important day of your life, every day. This just feels kind of tired. Hesitant. Dare I say it, corporate.

When Bendis hits the notes just right, this book sings, and it reaches a spot in my heart that holds some of these characters so dear. But it just doesn't happen with any kind of consistency or urgency to it. Every so often he writes an issue, a series of panels, or a line of dialogue that just reminds me how much I love these characters and how much I've missed them. But then it's six months waiting for him to hit that groove again. It's frustrating.
    The comic suffers from the same problem as the cartoon, too many characters and not enough time to develop them all.

I feel like the pacing is decent. It's not like the current Outsiders run where the story is stuck on Batman vs Ras since the start and hasn't gone anywhere. YJ has covered more ground, even if the answers haven't been satisfying(in fairness to Bendis, trying to explain the continuity mess that affected YJ is kind of hard to do, considering the mess that is DC continuity).

Did we know Jinny Hex was gay? Or at least bi. Some strong moments.
    When she was remembering her backstory around issue 9 or 10, she was mad with a friend, because she was having a tickle fight with a guy, we don't know why, Jinny never explained herself, but maybe she swing that way.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Didn't that issue confirm Jinny was lesbian?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Didn't that issue confirm Jinny was lesbian?
    Nah, i mean their discussion sounded like something that a couple would tell to eacth other, so it wouldn't surprised if she was, but is never said out loud. Rigth after that figth she stop a robbery and her mom gives her the chest.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    A. Seemingly. As is often the case in the Rebirth era, she feels more like a fusion of her pre- and post- selves. The only hard facts are "Grandpa Zeus", and her mom is still probably her mom, so the paternity thing is in question - like, is it still "Lennox" or does anyone care about that? I know I don't. I like the Azz run just fine but truly don't need them to superficially tie Wonder Girl to the character of Lennox at all. Frankly I'd rather her mom just be Diana's secret sister.

B. Seemingly. Barry (and Wally) have been remembering old history faster than almost everybody else.

C. Yes. Once we get to the last issues of Bendis's storylines they all seem to end at the beginning of other storylines we've already read, so it does fit together neatly and very clearly.

D. New.
    A) Yes, I knew that...
    But like I said in a Review was written that YJ17 confirms that Cassie is from NEW52-so I was expecting MORE Information in this issue.
    But it was also only AUNTIE Diana....

B) Bart and Barrys talk was kind of strange...But as far as I saw it wasnt more than GRANDPA Barry...

Actually we dont know if her father is Dianas brother....It could THEORETICALLY also be that Cassie is mother is Dianas SISTER...
    If we say that her father is Dianas brother, we still dont know who it is...
    I was expecting more from this issue than just Auntie Diana...

So I am still not sure if she is an Amalgan of NEW52+Pre-Flashpoint OR if she is a new Rebirth Version who only has the memories of the other Cassie.
    It still confuses me that she has powers WITHOUT her armour and she looks different to both other Cassies.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    When she was remembering her backstory around issue 9 or 10, she was mad with a friend, because she was having a tickle fight with a guy, we don't know why, Jinny never explained herself, but maybe she swing that way.

No....
    It was YJ10

1. It was her GIRLFRIEND
    2. It WASNT a guy, but it was ANOTHER GIRL...

She stormed out, because she saw the 2 and her girlfriend declared the other girl to be a friend...
    So it seems she broke up with her girlfriend right before joining YJ..
    Last edited by Masterff; 08-05-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Yeah i read again, you are right.

I stand corrected.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona