Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Default Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol

I've been getting a truckload of rereading done over the past few months, and just finished up on Morrison's Doom Patrol. Been a good while since I read it and I think I love it more than ever now in that 2020 light. Seldom does something just confidently make the perfect landing that the end of this run does, and man oh man had I forgotten how much I love Robotman.

It's such a joy when something ages really well, breathes some new life into a story you might have already gone through. I always find new and exciting threads when rereading Morrison.

Anybody else have any strong opinions on this era of Cliff 'n Company?

(I didn't see a Doom Patrol thread anywhere under DC, so hopefully there's not already a joint for this chatter)
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-15-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I love Morrison's Doom Patrol as well. I only wish we could somehow send Nick Derrington back in time so he could have done the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I love Morrison's Doom Patrol as well. I only wish we could somehow send Nick Derrington back in time so he could have done the art.
    So far Gerard Way/Nick Derrington's book is the only run that feels like an actual sequel, huh?

And even that is not remotely a sequel at all, at least not thematically or narratively.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-23-2020 at 05:56 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm about due for a re-read myself. It took a couple tries to get into this, but once I did I loved it.

It may be Morrison's best DC work after All-Star Superman

Fantastic Member

And isn't the New tv series leaning heavily on Morrison's run for ideas and storylines?

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    And isn't the New tv series leaning heavily on Morrison's run for ideas and storylines?
    Yes it is. I loved that run!

I'm not a huge fan of the run. As an adaptation the tv show is definitely better.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

One of the best comics ever! Morrison’s run is the reason why Robotman is one of my all time favorite characters. The tragic figure who has to accept his lot in life and help those around him. I love seeing Cliff in those insane Morrison situations. Heres this “average Joe” superhero whose main plan of attack is usual to hit the bad guy until they fall. Grant puts him in the most mind bending adventures and it’s such a fun fish out of water scenario.

I’m blown away at how well they’ve been able to adapt these stories on the tv show!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    So far Gerard Way/Nick Derrington's book is the only run that feels like an actual sequel, huh?
    Overall their run has been pretty good. I’m just not a huge fan of how much focus Way gives to his new characters. They’re fine but when I pick up a Doom Patrol book I want to read about Cliff, Rita, Larry, and Jane.
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-16-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The definitive run on Doom Patrol. The Morrison, Giffen and Way runs are the only ones I've enjoyed thus far, but Morrison and Case's work on Doom Patrol is one of DC's crown jewels.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You wound me, sir. Much as I love Derrington's work, Case really drew the hell out of that book.

Morrison’s run was great. So was Arcudi’s. Way’s run? Can’t say I’ve liked it. I can’t wait for it to finish and another writer comes along. Bring back the original Brotherhood of Dada. Quiz was a very unique character.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You wound me, sir. Much as I love Derrington's work, Case really drew the hell out of that book.
    I don't think Case's art was necessarily bad, but it's not nearly as good as the writing. Seeing what a talent like Derrington could have done with Morrison would have been magical. Hopefully, these two end up doing something together at some point.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Has Batman ever crossed paths with Doom Patrol, guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    One of the best comics ever! Morrison’s run is the reason why Robotman is one of my all time favorite characters. The tragic figure who has to accept his lot in life and help those around him. I love seeing Cliff in those insane Morrison situations. Heres this “average Joe” superhero whose main plan of attack is usual to hit the bad guy until they fall. Grant puts him in the most mind bending adventures and it’s such a fun fish out of water scenario.
    Actually, sounds a lot like Hellboy to me
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 07-17-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Has Batman ever crossed paths with Doom Patrol, guys?

Actually, sounds a lot like Hellboy to me
    I agree, that's Hellboy to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I agree, that's Hellboy to a T.
    Robotman and Hellboy would make for a great team up. 2 curmudgeons punching their way through overwhelming odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

I’m blown away at how well they’ve been able to adapt these stories on the tv show!

Overall their run has been pretty good. I’m just not a huge fan of how much focus Way gives to his new characters. They’re fine but when I pick up a Doom Patrol book I want to read about Cliff, Rita, Larry, and Jane.
    I love Robotman too, and your write up on him! He's a big warm hearted hunk of metal.

I have a real fondness for Rebis, too. It's sad how Rebis has totally been dropped by future creators. Though, the sendoff they get at the end of Morrison's run is superb.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-18-2020 at 08:02 PM.