Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Boisterously Confused

Default Cool (at least, to you) Trivia About TV Shows Or Films You Love

Easier to show than to tell you.

Perry Mason (1957-1966): The show had a reputation among writers as The Hardest Gig In Hollywood. After being infuriated by studios' treatment of his attorney/detective in 1940s B films, Earl Stanley Gardener wouldn't give up his creation to TV until he had a rock solid contract that guaranteed him script-approval. Every polished script was only a penultimate draft. It next had to endure Gardener's withering scrutiny to ensure accuracy of legal procedure. He frequently ripped the guts out of scripts whose plots depended on things that would not work in a court.

Was it 100% real-life? Nah. Was it as close as it could get? Probably.

Battlestar Galactica is in large part directly lifted from the book of Mormon. The creator, Glen Larson, was a devout mormon and lifted names, symbology, and ideas straight from the Book of Mormon. As such even the remake has mormon ties since the names and ideas didn't change, just the execution of such.

I heard the first home computer on a TV show belonged The Addams Family.

Chandler was the only male FRIENDS uh, friend, who never dated a black woman.
    Ross and Joey both dated Aisha Tyler, and both dated Gabrielle Union.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer was the first TV show to use the word Google as a verb.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 08-04-2020 at 06:38 PM.

More retroactive trivia but Jurassic Park III portrayed Spinosaurus as able to swim underwater years before it was believed to have been either a semi-aquatic or aquatic Dinosaur.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I heard the first home computer on a TV show belonged The Addams Family.

Chandler was the only male FRIENDS uh, friend, who never dated a black woman.
    Ross and Joey both dated Aisha Tyler, and both dated Gabrielle Union.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer was the first TV show to use the word Google as a verb.
    The Google thing surprises me.

1930s actor Buster Crabbe probably played the most amount of heroic roles from comic books, comic strips, and pulps:

- Tarzan
    - Flash Gordon
    - Buck Rogers
    - Red Barry
    - Thun'da (a short-lived Frank Frazetta comic book character)
    - plus a somewhat heroic version of Billy the Kid/Billy Carson in 42 B-Westerns

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

OJ Simpson was the original choice for the T-800 in Terminator. James Cameron rejected his casting saying he didn't have the look of a ruthless killer.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Google thing surprises me.
    ^^^me too!
    I mean, it hadda happen somewhere I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    1930s actor Buster Crabbe probably played the most amount of heroic roles from comic books, comic strips, and pulps:

- Tarzan
    - Flash Gordon
    - Buck Rogers
    - Red Barry
    - Thun'da (a short-lived Frank Frazetta comic book character)
    - plus a somewhat heroic version of Billy the Kid/Billy Carson in 42 B-Westerns
    ^^^thats a great body of work!

I’d never heard of Thun’da, and Googled him just now. I guess Dynamite has or had the rights to him. He’s made some modern appearances!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Battlestar Galactica is in large part directly lifted from the book of Mormon. The creator, Glen Larson, was a devout mormon and lifted names, symbology, and ideas straight from the Book of Mormon. As such even the remake has mormon ties since the names and ideas didn't change, just the execution of such.
    Huh. I thought it came out of Chariots Of The Gods/Ancient Astronauts stuff. Not disputing, merely seeking clarity.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 08-04-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Christopher Lee is the only actor to play both Sherlock Holmes and his brother Mycroft, albeit in different films.

Peter Cushing is the only actor to play Sherlock Holmes in two different versions of The Hound of the Baskervilles, first in film and once on television.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Christopher Lee is the only actor to play both Sherlock Holmes and his brother Mycroft, albeit in different films.

Peter Cushing is the only actor to play Sherlock Holmes in two different versions of The Hound of the Baskervilles, first in film and once on television.
    Neat! 10 char

Danny Trejo has the most onscreen deaths of any actor in history w. 65. He overtook the previous record holder Christopher Lee, who had 60 onscreen deaths to his credit.

Just found this one out.

Desmond Llewelyn Has two records. He’s played the same character (Q) in the most movies, 17.
    And he’s played the same character (Q) the longest at 36 years.

It started w. From Russia With Love (1963) and lasted till The World Is Not Enough (1999).

Ultimate Member

Christopher Lee (playing Saruman) was the tallest name actor in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. The second tallest, Rhys Davies, played *the dwarf* Gimli!

There's currently a movie in the pipe about the Ministry for Ungentlemanly Warfare. Christopher Lee was supposedly involved with something like that during WWII, and his wartime spy stories are rumored to have inspired his cousin, Ian Fleming, writer of James Bond (who also served, but didn't have quite so colorful a career full of spy shenanigans).
    Last edited by Sutekh; 02-01-2024 at 08:22 AM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

By now, a lot of people know that Airplane is built from Zero Hour, so much so that they bought the rights to the ZH script. What made it cool for me was that I watched Zero Hour without knowing that. I looked at my partner, "He said the thing from Airplane!" I always thought it was a riff on Airport.