Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    OJ Simpson was the original choice for the T-800 in Terminator. James Cameron rejected his casting saying he didn't have the look of a ruthless killer.
    That is some spooky ****.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Christopher Lee is the only actor to play both Sherlock Holmes and his brother Mycroft, albeit in different films.
    Danny Trejo has the most onscreen deaths of any actor in history w. 65. He overtook the previous record holder Christopher Lee, who had 60 onscreen deaths to his credit.

Just found this one out.

Desmond Llewelyn Has two records. He’s played the same character (Q) in the most movies, 17.
    And he’s played the same character (Q) the longest at 36 years.

It started w. From Russia With Love (1963) and lasted till The World Is Not Enough (1999).

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Just found this one out.

Desmond Llewelyn Has two records. He’s played the same character (Q) in the most movies, 17.

It started w. From Russia With Love (1963) and lasted till The World Is Not Enough (1999).
    That one's interesting. Flemming's books featured an armorer named Major Boothroyde (sp?), who made a brief appearance in the film adaptation of Dr. No. Q turned up later and was purely a cinema creation. Anybody know why the films made the switch?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That one's interesting. Flemming's books featured an armorer named Major Boothroyde (sp?), who made a brief appearance in the film adaptation of Dr. No. Q turned up later and was purely a cinema creation. Anybody know why the films made the switch?
    Good question!
    Maybe Q was easier to spell?

EDIT
    According to TV TROPES, In the movie The Spy Who Loved Me, Anya Amasova addresses him (Q) as "Major Boothroyd".

Well hell, maybe it WAS just easier for everyone to spell/pronounce.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 08-05-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

James Cameron was set to direct both the X-Men and Spider-Man films way back in the 90s. It was stuck in some legal mess for years. And it fell through. This is ironic since his recent comments about Marvel films. I know this because it was in a lot of the comics I read back then.It was in the Stan Lee section if I remember.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Y'know the above may not be all that amazing but no one seems to know this or mention it.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    James Cameron was set to direct both the X-Men and Spider-Man films way back in the 90s. It was stuck in some legal mess for years. And it fell through. This is ironic since his recent comments about Marvel films. I know this because it was in a lot of the comics I read back then.It was in the Stan Lee section if I remember.
    on Spider-Man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjRHwY1qQU

on Iron Man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H3mZ-5sxnw
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 08-06-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Battlestar Galactica is in large part directly lifted from the book of Mormon. The creator, Glen Larson, was a devout mormon and lifted names, symbology, and ideas straight from the Book of Mormon. As such even the remake has mormon ties since the names and ideas didn't change, just the execution of such.
    In the Expanse, the largest ship, and the only true starship (since there's no FTL drive in this universe) is the Nauvoo. It's a ship built by the Mormons to travel to the nearest habitable star system for colonization. This bit of trivia about BSG makes me appreciate the Nauvoo that much more, since it's a more literal connection.

----

So this is weird in that I don't love any of the movies that I'm going to mention, but Better Luck Tomorrow predates the Fast and the Furious franchise, and indeed it was a small, indie, character driven drama. Except it introduced the character of Han, as a high schooler, played by Sung Hang. Years later, the Fast and the Furious franchise emerges and then Tokyo Drift, where Han reappears. At first there's no real thought to the connection -- it's just the same actor playing a character with coincidentally the same name at the surface. But Justin Lin directed Better Luck Tomorrow (that's how he got his big break), and when he became director for the franchise, he brought the character back, essentially making Better Luck Tomorrow as Han's origin film, or more appropriately, the Fast and the Furious absorbed the movie, retroactively making the older film canon.

I can't think of many other examples of that happening with a franchise, but it'd be like finding out that Lost in Translation (2003) was a part of the MCU (2008) because Charlotte was actually Natasha, who debuted later in the franchise, in an undercover assignment.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-06-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    ...So this is weird in that I don't love any of the movies that I'm going to mention, but Better Luck Tomorrow predates the Fast and the Furious franchise, and indeed it was a small, indie, character driven drama. Except it introduced the character of Han, as a high schooler, played by Sung Hang. Years later, the Fast and the Furious franchise emerges and then Tokyo Drift, where Han reappears. At first there's no real thought to the connection -- it's just the same actor playing a character with coincidentally the same name at the surface. But Justin Lin directed Better Luck Tomorrow (that's how he got his big break), and when he became director for the franchise, he brought the character back, essentially making Better Luck Tomorrow as Han's origin film, or more appropriately, the Fast and the Furious absorbed the movie, retroactively making the older film canon.

I can't think of many other examples of that happening with a franchise, but it'd be like finding out that Lost in Translation (2003) was a part of the MCU (2008) because Charlotte was actually Natasha, who debuted later in the franchise, in an undercover assignment.
    That's neat!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Alien (1979) and Star Wars picking up ideas/taking cues from Jodorowsky's Dune

Paul Verhoeven's Crusade

My two favourite movies never made
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 08-18-2020 at 08:58 AM.

I can’t verify via Google, but I believe Seinfeld’s ep. ‘The Heart Attack’ (S2 EP8) was the first time someone called someone else a jerk off on prime time TV.

Extraordinary Member

FRASIER - Kelsey Grammar made a deal to do a new series with some of the producers of Cheers before that show ended. However, he did not want to continue playing Frasier Crane. The idea was that he would play an eccentric millionaire who was in a wheelchair and ran his successful company from inside his home. There would be a Hispanic housekeeper who took care of him and the two would constantly butt heads.

Luckily, NBC did not like the idea and so the decision was made to spin off Frasier Crane and move him far away from Boston. In the beginning, the producers did not want any of the Cheers gang being involved with the new show. However, in the end, everyone but Kirstie Alley's Rebecca Howe ended up making appearances - Lilith and Diane appearing multiple times either in person or in dream sequences. The show took some liberties by ignoring facts mentioned about Frasier on Cheers. Things like his father, a research scientist, was dead and he was an only child. Frasier's mother Hester was painted as a warm, loving person unlike the crazy obsessive mother who threatened to shoot Diane with a gun.

Former tv series helped create the final outcome of the show. The producers did not want Frasier in private practice as a psychiatrist because they didn't want to be compared to The Bob Newhart Show. So the decision was made to have him work as a call-in psychiatrist at an AM radio station. The show was originally supposed to take place mostly at the radio station, but the producers feared it would resemble the 1970s show WKRP In Cincinnati so they established Frasier's home life and created the coffee house where scenes were filmed each episode.
    Last edited by caj; 08-26-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Just found this one out.

William Boyd played Hopalong Cassidy in over 66 films, and 40 TV episodes. But that was over a 20 year period, so Llewelyn has that.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The original actors they wanted for Walter White in Breaking Bad were Mathew Broderick or John Cusack.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!