Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Apparently on Cheers, the Norm jokes from when he entered the bar each week were the hardest ones to write:

"It's a dog-eat-dog world and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear."

https://ew.com/tv/cheers-writers-norm-best-jokes/

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Sherlock Holmes has hundreds if not thousands of tv/cinema adaptations. Some of his supposed siblings only exist in tv.
    Ah. I lacked context. Nonetheless, I was thinking more about behind the camera stuff that in script or on screen stuff when I drafted the OP.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Apparently on Cheers, the Norm jokes from when he entered the bar each week were the hardest ones to write:

"It's a dog-eat-dog world and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear."

https://ew.com/tv/cheers-writers-norm-best-jokes/
    I could totally see that. An endless river of awesome, unique, standalone one-liners in response to a regular straight man question has got to be a challenge.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Sherlock Holmes has hundreds if not thousands of tv/cinema adaptations. Some of his supposed siblings only exist in tv.
    I gather that this ENOLA HOLMES series is based on a series of novels about Sherlock's much younger sister. But hearing about this series all I could think is why haven't they made a "Mrs. Sherlock Holmes" series yet?

She was a real woman--Mary Grace Quackenbos Humiston--who was called "Mrs. Sherlock Holmes" because she was such a great detective. From New York, around the turn of the 19th/20th century, she solved cold cases and became the first female Special Assistant U.S. Attorney. She was featured on an episode of TIMELESS. And there have been books written about her. It seems like a premise that's just begging for a screen treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I could totally see that. An endless river of awesome, unique, standalone one-liners in response to a regular straight man question has got to be a challenge.
    My favorite one, and one i managed to use several times during my Army career to the utter shock of ppl listening was this one...:

“ How's life treating you Norm?"
    “ Like it caught me sleeping with its wife."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I gather that this ENOLA HOLMES series is based on a series of novels about Sherlock's much younger sister. But hearing about this series all I could think is why haven't they made a "Mrs. Sherlock Holmes" series yet?

She was a real woman--Mary Grace Quackenbos Humiston--who was called "Mrs. Sherlock Holmes" because she was such a great detective. From New York, around the turn of the 19th/20th century, she solved cold cases and became the first female Special Assistant U.S. Attorney. She was featured on an episode of TIMELESS. And there have been books written about her. It seems like a premise that's just begging for a screen treatment.
    As I was reading your post I thought to myself “Timeless”. But that’s the only time I recall seeing her fictionalized.

Mighty Member

On Cheers, Diane started out dating Judah Zachary.

Incredible Member

The movie Damnation Alley was suppose to be the summer block buster for the studio that made it.

They keep pouring more and more money into after seeing how there other supposedly summer blockbuster was going to be a total turkey of a film.

That other movie was Star Wars.
    Last edited by gwhh; 10-04-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Bob Belcher’s daughters on Bob’s Burgers are named after Tina Louise, AKA Ginger Grant on Gilligan’s Island.
    Sort of like how Sheldon and Leonard on The Big Bang Theory were named after the actor and television producer/director Sheldon Leonard.

The Batman character Detective Harvey Bullock was named in tribute to television writer Harvey Bullock.

Extraordinary Member

According to this article, Patrick Swayze helped her land Whoopi Goldberg her iconic role in Ghost

https://people.com/movies/whoopi-gol...ic-ghost-role/

Goldberg, 64, explained that a friend told her “every Black woman and her mother” had gone to the Ghost auditions. Confused, Goldberg asked her own agent why she hadn’t heard about it.

“They don’t want you,” the agent told her. “They think that your persona, that Whoopi, is too big and will take people out of the movie.”

Then, she got another call from her agent. “I get a call and he says, ‘Remember that movie they didn’t want you for? Well, the director and the actor want to come to wherever you are and see if there’s a way to do this with you. They’ve hired Patrick Swayze, Patrick wanted to know why they hadn’t come to you. They told him that they thought you would take people out of the movie.' ”

“Patrick said, ‘I’m not saying yes to this piece until we know that she’s not the right person, because this is ridiculous, she’s perfect,’ ”
    Last edited by caj; 10-15-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Ah. I lacked context. Nonetheless, I was thinking more about behind the camera stuff that in script or on screen stuff when I drafted the OP.
    Sure your example may have illustrated that point, but your title didn’t specify that.

Extraordinary Member

I found this interesting - and it was on this site. Why The Big Bang Theory's Penny became a bartender.

https://www.cbr.com/big-bang-theory-...y-broken-foot/

During season 4, actress Kaley Cuoco was absent from two episodes and then went from being a waitress at The Cheesecake Factory to being a bartender.

There were apparently rumors that Cuoco was pregnant and they were hiding it by putting her behind the bar. But in reality, Cuoco, who rides horses, had a serious leg injury from a horse-back riding accident that severely injured her leg. There's also a scene in a later episode where Penny runs to her bedroom. A stunt double was used because Cuoco could not run due to her injury.

I never knew this. Read all the details in the link.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    As inaccurate as the original Transformers cartoon may have been, it still involved getting licencing from respective car brands (i.e. Porsche and Lamborghini). The reason for the new cast from the movie and the later seasons wasn't just to phase out the old toys, but so that Hasbro could make new characters and toys without having to pay licencing fees to car companies.
    Now that makes sense the reason for the twenty year time jump into 2005, business wise it makes sense for monetary reasons but those later futuristic designs looked like Playskool toys.

A case of retroactive recognition for me.

In 2016 actor Michael Weston played Harry Houdini on the TV show Houdini & Doyle, a 1 season fictionalized look at Houdini’s friendship w. Sherlock Holmes creator Arthur Conan Doyle:

I realized Weston had appeared opposite Jonny Lee Miller’s Sherlock Holmes in 2015, as a frenemy named Oscar Rankin while watching an ep. of Elementary season 3 yesterday:

Just thought that was kind of cool.